BENQ PV270 and PV3200PT

mirekti

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Great! And it is 300€ less in my country, isn't it a little old though?

Do you have any other suggestions? Maybe a Dell or Samsung?

I am reading a lot of QC issues for the BenQ.

Maybe it is "old" (from last year...) but it has HDMI 2.0, DCI P3 and even HDR 10 if you need it. I Don't know any Samsung PC monitor that is aimed at pro video editing.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It might be like my HP monitor. If you use HDMI it is only HD. I Have to use the DisplayPort to get 2K out of mine. Mine is a 2K monitor tops.

4 hours ago, mirekti said:

I had just placed an order for SW271, and then read the above.
Oh man, there's always something. :) Do you know why it didn't recognize it as a 4k monitor? I use Intensity Pro 4k.

I can run a 4K signal to it using the same HDMI cable from a camera (GH5s is what I tested with), and the monitor will properly display an image downscaled to 2560x1440 and indicate on-screen that it's receiving the 3840x2160 signal. but from the 4K Mini Monitor PCI card, when sending a 4K signal, it will work going to a 4K display, but will swap over to an HD signal if connected to a 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 display. This is something I've tried everything to get working (Display Port, etc) and the only explanation left is that the Blackmagic Decklink card thinks it's helping by sending an HD signal when connected to a display with a native res beneath 4k/UHD.

I haven't been able to get any info out of Blackmagic support, but have run into other people in various forum that have the same issue.

One thing confuses me a bit in terms of color accuracy. The monitor comes precalibrated for certain color spaces. Then you can also custom calibrate it. Let’s assume that the factory precalibration was perfect and the monitor is great out of the box, at one point in time these precalibrated profiles become bad as we all know one needs to recalibrate the monitor every now and then, correct? 

So what’s the use of those predefined profiles as eventually you need to use those custom ones?

For what BMD program, Resolve? Resolve doesn't give a rats ass what monitor you are using. If you have the BMD SDI one I can see that but, just a HDMI one, nah. Now they make a HDMI one with breakout cables, but that is still more an audio thing than video.

You're right - Resolve doesn't give a rats ass which monitor you are using - unless you're using one of the BM output devices the official line from BM is that Resolve can't be reliably colour calibrated as the OS and other things can't be relied upon not to screw the colours up.

With their output hardware they have full control and can guarantee the reliability and quality and IIRC have the calibration integrated into Resolve. 

But I have never used 2 monitors at the same time in Resolve so who knows.

I've tried, but it's not a pleasant experience as it's not that flexible.  Resolve lets you use two monitors but the functionality is a PITA because the way you want it setup (with one monitor as a controller and the other with the preview window on it) isn't really supported, because (you guessed it) they expect you to use one of their output devices and use that as your preview monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 9:15 AM, thephoenix said:

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-07 at 07.59.13.jpeg

How are you driving all these screens? I have a similar setup, a lot more random-ish than yours (2x2K 27", 43" TV + laptop).

What is the best value for money BM card for 4K preview? Intensity Pro 4K?

All those monitors we are mentioning here, are pseudo 10 bit, they are really 8+2, is the BM necessary for those?

I feel like the BM cards are overkill since we do not really have true 10 bit panels.

I decided to go with the LG 32UD99, is the one readily available in my country but I am trying to figure out my workflow (Resolve+Premiere).

37 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

How are you driving all these screens? I have a similar setup, a lot more random-ish than yours (2x2K 27", 43" TV + laptop).

What is the best value for money BM card for 4K preview? Intensity Pro 4K?

All those monitors we are mentioning here, are pseudo 10 bit, they are really 8+2, is the BM necessary for those?

I feel like the BM cards are overkill since we do not really have true 10 bit panels.

I decided to go with the LG 32UD99, is the one readily available in my country but I am trying to figure out my workflow (Resolve+Premiere).

i have only 3 screens on my work pc, i have two pcs so the right monitor if for my everyday pc.

i have my main which is the pv270, the left one for my tools in photoshop and the plasma that i wasn't gonna dump because someone was so good that he gave me his pioneer kuro :) and the kuro image is so good. so put the kuro in the living room and the panasonic plasma ended in the office.

will use it for color check but i need the bm card yes.

and pv270 is 10 bit ;) as weel as it has rec709 and adobe rgb color spaces that you can choose in the monitor menu upon what type of work you are doing.

but all this doesn't answer my question ?

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

setting up my monitor for the new computer.

do i set up a 2.2 or 2.4 gamma for calibrating ?

1 hour ago, liork said:

2.2 for REC 709

2.4 for DCI P3

Just 2.2 for BT.709, 100nit peak white. Theatrical DCI-P3 uses gamma 2.6 with 48nit peak white, but it's meant for reflected view projection screens. NEVER EVER grade any theatrical projects on a direct view display.

2 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Just 2.2 for BT.709, 100nit peak white. Theatrical DCI-P3 uses gamma 2.6 with 48nit peak white, but it's meant for reflected view projection screens. NEVER EVER grade any theatrical projects on a direct view display.

well before i grade for theater... ?

pv270 is 250 nits ;)