Gimbal or motion control?

Joowe

Hi.

I have cameras (GH5S, A6500, GoPro7), lenses (all EF mount and adapters), tripods and normal sliders.

I do youtube videos in my lab to promote my business.

I want to improve my videos adding motion and I am between 6-Axis Motion Control SET from sliderkamera and Zhiyun Crane 3 LAB.

At the final I will buy both but which one is more useful to buy first? 

Motion control is cumbersome to assemble to prepare each scene and I think I will stop using it for complexity.

However, it has the advantage of the slider.

The crane has a follow focus too and it is easier to set up before a scene.

I have never used crane or motion control and I would like someone who has both systems to give me their opinion.

Thank you very much for your time!

Coly

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Joowe said:

Hi.

I have cameras (GH5S, A6500, GoPro7), lenses (all EF mount and adapters), tripods and normal sliders.

I do youtube videos in my lab to promote my business.

I want to improve my videos adding motion and I am between 6-Axis Motion Control SET from sliderkamera and Zhiyun Crane 3 LAB.

At the final I will buy both but which one is more useful to buy first? 

Motion control is cumbersome to assemble to prepare each scene and I think I will stop using it for complexity.

However, it has the advantage of the slider.

The crane has a follow focus too and it is easier to set up before a scene.

I have never used crane or motion control and I would like someone who has both systems to give me their opinion.

Thank you very much for your time!

Coly

We do not own the sliderkamera 6 axis, but we do own both motion controllers and gimbals. The gimbals are great if you are filming on the go and you are not the subject. They are no good if you are filming yourself. The motion controller makes more sense in this case. Granted the motion controller is also useful as a second shooter.

We use both the Ronin S and Edelkrone Motion Kit with HeadPlus. Both are quick to setup. The Edelkrone can be aimed by hand, which is a real timesaver. 

If I could have only one, it would be the motion kit. Why? The motion kit captures cinematic motion every time. It never makes mistakes because the human factor is removed from the performance. Every move is repeatable; which makes for the possibility to create some very interesting vfx scenes.

Slider and motion control will definitely give more precise movements.

Its hard to get super smooth and precise gimbal movements. If you do use a gimbal I'd recommend using it with a lens wider than 23mm (APSC) and with IS. Shooting in 60fps and slowing down in post can also help a lot. A gimbal setup is certainly faster. But eliminating the human element and knowing your shots are going to be 100% on the money everytime may be more efficient in the long run.

I want to use the MO for macro video shotting with focus tracking in real time.

I have notified the seller and he has assured that there is not a problem.

I do believe that it is a problem to maintain the focus with a 125mm macro in MFT (250mm).

I have given all the details about what I need because I do not want to buy to send back

• 5 weeks later...

In the end, I bought gimbal and motion control.

The MC bought it from another brand but returned it for not moving fluidly.

For the moment I will stay with the gimbal because I like the results it gives and versatile.

Thanks for your help!

16 hours ago, Joowe said:

In the end, I bought gimbal and motion control.

The MC bought it from another brand but returned it for not moving fluidly.

For the moment I will stay with the gimbal because I like the results it gives and versatile.

Thanks for your help!

Small Edelkrones. They work and they are cheap, relatively.