Two EOS R's at a top ranked college basketball game

Snowbro

See mostly 1DX II cameras with a 70-200 on, few 5D IV, but I was really surprised to see a couple EOS R cameras. Didn't expect anyone to be using that body for a paid job in action. Arent they around 3 fps with ai servo?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think they might be students. There are about a dozen video cameras on the floor, most for CBS. It really doesnt look like the EOS R's are shooting video; it's possible they are doing a few clips for social media. 

Sounds about right being students.

Sports is an exception, but everyone knows that the 'pro' bodies are bought by amateurs trying to get pro results, and the real pros use older/mid-tier equipment because they know what it is that makes pro images, and they know it's not having the latest tech :)

• Super Members

I use it for paid sports shooting as my A-cam. 8fps gets me where I need to be and the seamless switch to video is perfect for hybrid shooting.
Ive talked to a few others that are all buying EOS-Rs as B-cams so they can put them on the floor with remote triggers without having to use silencers (league rules). Two of them where contemplating Sony and Fuji but as soon as they found out they can use their existing lenses the discussion was over.

(only pro sports, never shoot any high schools, college leagues or stuff like that. Enthusiasts and amateurs probably don't have any such problems.)

• Administrators

It's the Canon lenses keeping the cameras afloat, that's for sure.

Looking at the Panasonic S1, the lens situation is a mess. No AF-C on the Sigma adapter for Canon. No phase-detect AF on the sensor. No affordable primes from Panasonic at launch and the 50mm F1.4 is far too large.

Looking at the Canon EOS RP, very small and affordable 35mm F1.8 with IS and macro ability. EF adapter that works properly. Cutting edge expensive stuff like the 50 1.2 and 28-70 2.0 for the pros.

There's no question the S1 is a better camera for video though, as long as you don't mind waiting for Sigma's L mount lenses or using manual focus.

Then again you'll be using MF in 4K on the RP any way!

15 hours ago, kye said:

Sounds about right being students.

Sports is an exception, but everyone knows that the 'pro' bodies are bought by amateurs trying to get pro results, and the real pros use older/mid-tier equipment because they know what it is that makes pro images, and they know it's not having the latest tech :)

true old bodies are still great like the D4S, its really the glass that makes a big difference. Most Sport pros are going for a 300 2.8 not a cheap 100 - 400 zoom. 

4 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

true old bodies are still great like the D4S, its really the glass that makes a big difference. Most Sport pros are going for a 300 2.8 not a cheap 100 - 400 zoom. 

Yeah, plus all the "other" stuff like knowing where to point it, etc. :)

5 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Be nice, I just bought a Sigma 170-500mm and a Tokina AT 80-400mm used for my Nikon DX2s. Surprisingly you can buy a Used 300mm 2.8 for the same money the Sigma cost used now. Just not as much demand I guess for them. Yep, I am getting back into birding.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Be nice, I just bought a Sigma 170-500mm and a Tokina AT 80-400mm used for my Nikon DX2s. Surprisingly you can buy a Used 300mm 2.8 for the same money the Sigma cost used now. Just not as much demand I guess for them. Yep, I am getting back into birding.

I tried to get into birding, and setup a bird bath in my backyard, but unfortunately there isn't a lot of tree cover where I live (due to housing development and the overall location) so nothing visited and I pretty much gave up.  Also, birding from sitting on my back patio sounds attractive but having to actually go anywhere for it is a lot less so :)

I've been using the A9   + MC11 + Canon 600mm II f/4 lens for birding. Great combo. Video isn't too bad on the A9 considering they don't give you SLOG and 60p 4k. I would never consider the EOS R for anything sports or wildlife. Canon is about two years behind Sony.

22 minutes ago, kye said:

I tried to get into birding, and setup a bird bath in my backyard, but unfortunately there isn't a lot of tree cover where I live (due to housing development and the overall location) so nothing visited and I pretty much gave up.  Also, birding from sitting on my back patio sounds attractive but having to actually go anywhere for it is a lot less so :)

Well I sort of gave it up living in Ohio. Not many large birds, and not really too many larger animals other than Deer. But since I am moving back to Florida there is a Ton of neat Birds and Animals to shoot down there.

I have several feeders up now and I get a ton of small birds, but nothing too spectacular to really shoot.