The peer-to-peer colour grading thread

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, xzobinx said:

Would you mind sharing the process ?

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have to remake it for screen grabs, but it's all in Premiere with Lumetri, just noodling sliders. I don't like overly stylised footage, just try to make it look a bit thicker than real life, if that makes sense? 

I don't know if it's good practice or not, but in the curves, I also like to cut off the highs and lows, but then adjust exactly where and how it cuts off depending on the clip. It does make the blacks more dark grey though, so be careful.

167510626_ScreenShot2019-03-19at11_22_26.png.de16bb03497af94c2e9d78ba040aa102.png

(this is a really quick example, probably too extreme for actually using his curve)

22 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have to remake it for screen grabs, but it's all in Premiere with Lumetri, just noodling sliders. I don't like overly stylised footage, just try to make it look a bit thicker than real life, if that makes sense? 

I don't know if it's good practice or not, but in the curves, I also like to cut off the highs and lows, but then adjust exactly where and how it cuts off depending on the clip. It does make the blacks more dark grey though, so be careful.

Interesting technique, and it goes to show that curves can be tremendously powerful.

Therefore, I officially announce the...  Curves-only Grading Challenge!

It's totally optional, of course, but it's a fun challenge, and learning the fundamentals can be very helpful.

Rules:

• You can only use curves to adjust the image
  • The only exception is that you can use a Colour Space Transform plugin to change colour space and gamma

You have unlimited nodes, and combined with keys, layer modes, etc you can do many different things

I'll definitely be trying it :)

For my curves-only attempts, I'm limiting myself to the Lum-vs-Lum curve, so no fancy Hue-vs-Hue or anything like that.

Curves-only challenge #1, a softer more film-like grade:

322158819_P2Pcolourgradingclip3-1_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.07ab36187b55c68575b245039df1189c.jpg

Curves-only challenge #2 - a more contrasty grade:

265245774_P2Pcolourgradingclip3-2_1.1.2.thumb.jpg.f1c215dbaf1562260e103f00297822f1.jpg

Normal grading #1:

100823997_P2Pcolourgradingclip3-3_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.30f708e9f99b69825fdca5a8433c19d5.jpg

That was quite an interesting one to grade.. very contrasty and that clipped red channel was tricky to recover in a natural way.  Plus the strong red light made the denim jacket an awful colour if you tried to WB it 'correctly'.. the jacket on my first attempt looks ok to me, the second looks awful, although I managed to balance the green-magenta ok using the curves, and the last one is more just embracing the fact it's stage lighting and not meant to be compensated for.

• 10 months later...

@kye

Thanks for the comment. It’s a father daughter story. The man is a filmmaker kind of no crew no money, nothing.

@heart0less

Thanks for the comment. Editing is finish. Color grading will be ok in a week, I think. But I need time for sound and music. I  almost understand english but I can’t easily write and speak. It's too long and hard to share what I do.

17 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

@kye

Thanks for the comment. It’s a father daughter story. The man is a filmmaker kind of no crew no money, nothing.

@heart0less

Thanks for the comment. Editing is finish. Color grading will be ok in a week, I think. But I need time for sound and music. I  almost understand english but I can’t easily write and speak. It's too long and hard to share what I do.

Sure, it's all right!

Be sure to post the finished result here.

( :

On 1 February 2020 at 6:59 AM, BrunoCH said:

I  almost understand english but I can’t easily write and speak. It's too long and hard to share what I do.

Write it up in your native language and we can put it through google translate?  Language isn't the barrier it used to be and shouldn't get in the way of talking about what matters.

• 3 years later...