The peer-to-peer colour grading thread

kye

6 minutes ago, kye said:

Your computer should be smart enough to have separate colour profiles for each monitor, so I'm not sure your logic is correct?

That is true, but I would have to actually make a calibration profile for the TV. I started to do so last week, but after DisplayCAL took 5 hours to analyze the TV, I found I'd made a mistake, and I haven't had a need for accurate color that was worth 5 more hours.

The real problem with color calibration on consumer devices is that for whatever reason, there is no consistent way to calibrate the entire computer display without an expensive LUT box. Graphics cards should just have a LUT box built into them, instead of the mish-mash of ICM profiles, VCGTs, and application-specific LUTs that we currently have. It's a ridiculous headache even with color managed software, let alone browsers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Would you use the vingette in a video for that purpose or just still images? 

It's just a window around the person with a very soft edge, it can be tracked as well. I use this many times to help focusing on the subject. If you don't overdo it can be quite helpful sometimes.

Here's my take on this footage:

First one is my neutral grade... but with the exposure pushed way down just to add drama and get the image to pop... at least to me.  Also, threw a power window over the right pillar, so it competed less as the subject of the shot.

Second one is my crack at a grade for a ghost story (since Kye is looking for themes?).  In this story our little friend here is selling haunted curiosities.

vietnam.png

vietnamGhostStory.png

3 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

It's just a window around the person with a very soft edge, it can be tracked as well. I use this many times to help focusing on the subject. If you don't overdo it can be quite helpful sometimes.

I've had two pivotal moments in my colour grading.

The first was a Lightroom video where a guy edited a photo of a little Italian town with the sunset in the background.  It looked OK, but nothing special.  He did the usual curves and saturation and a graduated filter to bring the sunset down but what really brought it to life and made it look magical was he put very yellow power windows on all the little ornate street lights, and faked a candle on all the tables with people sitting on them, and did other local adjustments.  In the end it looked like the best romantic little town in Italy fantasy anyone has ever had.  I'd never seen anyone use 50-100 local adjustments in LR before so it was a new approach for me.

The second experience was when I was looking at what editing package to go for, and as I was evaluating them finding out that Resolve could do the same local adjustments but it could track them for movement.  Basically a light-bulb went off and I realised that Resolve was LR for video.  After seeing that, PP and FCPX didn't stand a chance and I realised that in the way you darken and lighten things in photo editing to control the composition and the viewers attention in a photo could also be applied to video.

38 minutes ago, Towd said:

Second one is my crack at a grade for a ghost story (since Kye is looking for themes?).  In this story our little friend here is selling haunted curiosities.

If only he was shining a torch up from under his chin...   ".........and then they heard a scraping sound coming from the empty cupboard!!"

• Super Members
29 minutes ago, kye said:

The second experience was when I was looking at what editing package to go for, and as I was evaluating them finding out that Resolve could do the same local adjustments but it could track them for movement.  Basically a light-bulb went off and I realised that Resolve was LR for video.  After seeing that, PP and FCPX didn't stand a chance and I realised that in the way you darken and lighten things in photo editing to control the composition and the viewers attention in a photo could also be applied to video.

To be fair to FCPX, you can use shape masks and keyframe animate them to create windowed adjustments but its a bit more manual work depending on what you are tracking.

For anyone who wants to have the a bit more of the Resolve approach while remaining in FCPX then CoreMelt's Chromatic grading plugin is worth checking out (I won't pollute the thread by putting a YouTube link in) as it incorporates the Mocha tracking system and has some neat features like auto balance from XRite Passport charts and link groups function to automatically sync grade modifications within a scene.

For anyone who wants the extra capabilities but might be put off by the node based architecture of Resolve then I think it offers a good middle ground.

Thanks for the image. Here is my contribution. Just a quick grade so highlight was blown quite a bit 

Drummer_1_25.3.jpgInteresting. while the colour looks fine on my mac display. It has heavy green cast on my iphone. Could someone please tell me what you see on your screen?

9 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

A new shot it saved it in TIFF hope that's right

Good stuff.  I was just thinking another still might be fun.

3444989_P2Pcolourgradingclip2-1_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.f39b4785bc9eb9be8b29454008e521ef.jpg

A bit more of a classic retro look to match the sharpness and grain from the original..  I find this as well as the GH5 to be nicely organic looking :)

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

No idea what I am doing really ?

If you want to learn a thing or two, take the original images and then match everyones grades as close as you possibly can.  If you can't work out what someone did, ask them and then try that.  You will learn a bunch about what the knobs all do, but you'll also learn more about what you like and what 'works' according to your eye and preferences.