How Can I Be A Young Director?

Zach Goodwin2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Zach, since you started this thread, I created a brand new short, wrote it, storyboarded it, did the costume designs for 12 characters, found a new DP near me (yay!), found a killer location for that shoot, AND, i WROTE A 24-PAGE CHILDRENS BOOK WHICH I AM NOW ILLUSTRATING

and i STILL managed to study for my biology test~! ?

4 hours ago, kaylee said:

Zach, since you started this thread, I created a brand new short, wrote it, storyboarded it, did the costume designs for 12 characters, found a new DP near me (yay!), found a killer location for that shoot, AND, i WROTE A 24-PAGE CHILDRENS BOOK WHICH I AM NOW ILLUSTRATING

and i STILL managed to study for my biology test~! ?

5 hours ago, kye said:

Almost every successful YouTuber has early videos that are awful (they may have deleted them but they were there)

Totally right.  I'm 0.0001% of a "successful" YouTuber, but look at my first ever video (it is not even my 1st ever video, just my first video on this channel), it is utterly horrible:

To be fair my latest videos are not much better! :-P haha

I have no shame, just do it and share it!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

How many of you all have full time jobs that are not related to filmmaking? If you have a full time job not related to filmmaking, did you find time to go to film school?

I only do film-making as a hobby and work full-time in other industries.

My sister went to film-school and I helped her out a bit here and there, so I have a bit of experience with how things happen, but.....

On 5/1/2019 at 8:03 PM, Zach Goodwin2 said:

did you find time to go to film school

Zach, for the record, regarding college, ill give you the advice that i would give any young filmmaker:

1) you dont need to do it – online resources are incomprehensibly vast today

2) if you DO go to college for film, STUDY ART AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. ideally, you should go to an ~art~ school, major in film, but take as many classes out of your major as you can. classes for artists – 2D design, color theory, art history, etc. etc. 

42 minutes ago, kaylee said:

1) you dont need to do it – online resources are incomprehensibly vast today

Hard to see beyond that. Other than the integral network it has.

I often have ideas for a film. So I pop in here to read gear reviews. And look at CVP. And convince myself that the idea needs new stuff. And read the Resolve manual. And watch YouTube videos. And do some financial sums. Then I forget what the idea was and go back to work.

Thats why I’m not a filmmaker. 

If I was, then I’d forgo all those interim steps and just make the film...

33 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

forgo all those interim steps and just make the film.

If you can't see that, you ain't ready to be a filmmaker.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:09 AM, IronFilm said:

I have no shame, just do it and share it!

That's really it.  You feel like you have something so you do.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:00 PM, Snowfun said:

Hard to see beyond that. Other than the integral network it has.

I often have ideas for a film. So I pop in here to read gear reviews. And look at CVP. And convince myself that the idea needs new stuff. And read the Resolve manual. And watch YouTube videos. And do some financial sums. Then I forget what the idea was and go back to work.

Thats why I’m not a filmmaker. 

If I was, then I’d forgo all those interim steps and just make the film...

I think you nailed it, but indirectly.

@Zach Goodwin2 Film school does provide you with a great network, and film is definitely about who you know, but the other thing film school gives you is.....

Motivation to actually do the things that the internet will tell you.  

I can tell you to make lots of little films and learn from them (in fact, I did, because that's what the D4Darious video I posted above says to do), and I can tell you to pick a film and to analyse it shot by shot, noticing the structure and working out if it's three acts or not, noticing which shots are wides / mediums / closeups, and what relationship they have to the plot, and the use of colour, symbolism, the communication of the passage of time, then camera angles, lighting analysis, camera movement, blocking, sound design, sound effects, blah blah blah...  but you won't do it.  and you won't do it because it's not 25% of your mark, due by Tuesday at 4pm, and you lose 20% for every day it's late!

You just won't do it.

The only advice worth anything is advice that you take.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, Zach Goodwin2 said:

How many filmmakers are there out there who are struggling with a mental condition?

A huge number of them.  Google will tell you all about it. 

Also, there is a ton of people who say that photography get them through a difficult time in their lives (people dying, sickness, divorce, loneliness, etc) and many say that it saved their lives by giving them an outlet.

BTW, it doesn't really matter what you ask - the answer to the question "how many people who like <insert random thing here> struggle with mental conditions" is the same - it's huge.  The struggle is real but you're not alone.

whatever your hurdles are to overcome, it might be bad, heck it might be AWFUL (i kno), but it could still probably be worse

why dont you be inspired by chuck close?

chuck close is an american painter

in his early career, he painted hyperrealistic portraits that looked like photos

Charles-Close-Photo-of-the-artist-betwee

IMG_0874.JPG

unfortunately,

On December 7, 1988, Close felt a strange pain in his chest. That day he was at a ceremony honoring local artists in New York City and was waiting to be called to the podium to present an award. Close delivered his speech and then made his way across the street to Beth Israel Medical Center where he suffered a seizure which left him paralyzed from the neck down. The cause was diagnosed as a spinal artery collapse.[23] He had also suffered from neuromuscular problems as a child.[24] Close called that day "The Event". For months, Close was in rehab strengthening his muscles with physical therapy; he soon had slight movement in his arms and could walk, yet only for a few steps. He has relied on a wheelchair ever since.

However, Close continued to paint with a brush strapped onto his wrist, creating large portraits in low-resolution grid squares created by an assistant. Viewed from afar, these squares appear as a single, unified image which attempt photo-reality, albeit in pixelated form.

Although the paralysis restricted his ability to paint as meticulously as before, Close had discovered a new, and i think, better way to paint than before. his newer pieces are more interesting, and serve to cement his importance in art history

chuck-close-working.jpg

Lucas%20II.jpg

Chuck-Close-private-collection.jpg

so, the moral of this story is be glad you're not in a wheelchair

• 2 weeks later...

This is the story I wrote:

A Grade

By Zachary Goodwin

It was afternoon, the sun was shining through the window. A teenager was lying on the bed. He has a backpack next to him on his bed. The bed has a blue blanket with white sheets, and a white pillow. The bedroom had a dresser and a closet. There was a light above the teenager and a light on the dresser. The room was somewhat messy. The teenager on the bed had on a logo T-shirt, jeans, and white socks on. He pulls out his iPhone and goes through his texts. The teen finds text messages with his father about how to clean his car, another one on how to mow the lawn, and lastly how to sweep the floor. One of the text messages he reads reveals the teenager's name is Thomas. The text message reads from his father, "Thomas, if you could tell yourself you can do it more you would not feel so bad everyday. You are very smart."

The teenager opens up his backpack to pull out a math test which has a failing grade on it. The teen has a sad face. He pouts and says to himself while puting his hand on his face, "I'm going to fail high school."

Thomas with a frustrated look text messages his father again, "How can you be so sure that telling myself I can do it would work? I have a quiz tomorrow." asked Thomas again.

"You are my son and I care a lot about you. Just try telling yourself that you can do it and I think all will be well!"

Thomas's books in his backpack are laid out and closed. It was now 5 PM. The teenager closes his eyes and has a tired look on his face.

"I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.", he repeated to himself.

Thomas falls asleep on his bed and snores. It is morning. He hears his alarm clock again. Soon Thomas rushes out the door with his backpack. Time passes by, and it is now late afternoon at 3 PM. Thomas opens the door looking at his math quiz grade,

"Why can't I do well!"

He then gets a text message from his father, "I heard about your quiz grade. Your mother told me after I was done with my meeting."

Thomas text messages back,

"It's just a lousy grade."

His father texts back, "Just a grade? Thomas you have so much going for you, but you need to try in your studies. Read and go over your notes and read the textbook."

"It won't work!" Thomas texted back.

"It will be better. Anyway, I have some news for you, my boss told me that I need to work overtime. I'll be home at 10 PM. I understand you are a light sleeper, but you got to finish your homework and go to bed at a decent hour."

Thomas feels somewhat tired still. He looks at his bed and then his bookbag, and then his bookbag again. Thomas looks there and there again. He sighs, goes for his bookbag, and gets to studying for his math test. Thomas reads the textbook and fills out papers. Time passes by until it is night.

"Thomas, dinner's ready!" said his mother.

In his bedroom is his meal his mother cooked. Thomas then cleans his room. He still focuses on his studies, reading and going through his notes. It is now 9 PM.

"I'm going to fail again." said Thomas sadly.

He slightly shakes his head and opens up his iPhone to reveal a text message from his father telling him to keep on telling yourself you can do it. Thomas sighs and he goes to sleep. He wakes up, grabs his bookbag, and he walks to the door. Thomas is somewhat scared he will fail the test; he then looks at his phone for his text message from his father. Thomas closes his eyes and then says to himself, "I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this."

Thomas takes a deep breath, opens his eyes, and walks out the door then closes it. Time passes by and he slowly opens his bedroom door again and walks into the bedroom slowly. Thomas looks at the paper. On the paper is a 97 A+ test grade.

"Yes!" said Thomas excitedly. Thomas then gets a text message from his father,

"See Thomas I told you you could do it! Your mother and I am proud of you. Good work."

"And I bet to you that I can get an A on the next test. Dad, I want to pass my classes and be as happy as I can be about it." Thomas texted back.

Thomas lays back on his bed smiling. He takes a deep breath with his arms on the back of his head on the pillow. Thomas then opens up his bookbag to get the books out of the bag.

"Just a grade." Thomas then laughed, "More like a great grade." He relaxed and smiled again. "I can do it and get through it. I'm going to pass high school." He then went back to studying for another class.