How Can I Be A Young Director?

Zach Goodwin2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, kaylee said:

@Liam have u considered moving to a place with more... people? just throwing it out there, i kno its not easy, but youre young and durable

Just got accepted to The Center for Cartoon Studies which is in a teeny tiny town in Vermont, so sort of the opposite plan for the moment ;) but I'm not sure I'm convinced moving to a more active place would make me more plugged in.. that's obviously been a thought though /:

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Just got accepted to The Center for Cartoon Studies which is in a teeny tiny town in Vermont, so sort of the opposite plan for the moment ;) but I'm not sure I'm convinced moving to a more active place would make me more plugged in.. that's obviously been a thought though /:

Oh, congratulations, that’s awesome!! Animation is still a widely unexplored frontier, have at it!

tbh, I’m kinda shy. Once I kno someone it’s different, but I’ve spent years in LA not talking to ppl ? so I get it. But you’ll meet a ton of ppl at school, that’ll solve everything~! That’s great news!!! I’m super stoked for u Liam!!!!!!!!

edit: that place looks rad, Hartford VT! It’s so pretty!! Damn this is gonna be great for u, I’m so excited!!!! ??☺️?????

10 hours ago, Liam said:

Congrats!

I think cartoons and animation are a very interesting media because they're the only visual forms where creating a world that works very differently to ours isn't harder than just having something realistic.  With film it used to be impossible but now with VFX so accessible building a convincing alternate world has gone from being impossible to impossibly expensive!

It's interesting to see the differences between the worlds that exist in japanese anime with the worlds that Hollywood creates with VFX.  In a sense these mediums allow unrestricted creativity and Hollywoods creations are reflective of their very recent ability to start thinking in these terms, whereas the worlds created in anime are obviously the product of a much more mature environment where highly creative thinkers have been bouncing off each-other creatively for a long time.

I played computer games and the game Myst was a fascinating game because it took place in a world that really did not function the same way that ours did, and it was really evident when playing the game that you couldn't really predict what effects doing something would have.

And if you completed Myst you have my absolute and total respect...

Some of the “escape room” type games are similar in that they invent impossibly difficult mechanical puzzles whilst retaining that feeling of playing in reality.

I suppose Zach achieved this in his short - the impossible talking sock but grounded in a real world scenario.

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, kye said:

I played computer games and the game Myst was a fascinating game because it took place in a world that really did not function the same way that ours did, and it was really evident when playing the game that you couldn't really predict what effects doing something would have.

Sounds uncannily familiar.

Did it rain a lot there too ?

brexit-protest-march-1024x580.thumb.jpg.cfe97f9a65d11b7262b8d0f95804dcca.jpg

10 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Some of the “escape room” type games are similar in that they invent impossibly difficult mechanical puzzles whilst retaining that feeling of playing in reality.

I love Escape Room places.

Played one in Madrid recently that was based on a Cold War scenario having to find evidence in a spy's flat (with perfect period decor) of a plot to launch a first strike that culminated in having to enter a code into a Commodore PET to send the abort codes to the missiles.

I killed us all, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

Could I also try editing you all's videos? 

You’re over complicating this. You have a camera - use it to generate your video footage. Edit and tell your story. I suggested a short with the title “My Town” - any progress? Night or day? Fast or slow paced? Music? Monochrome or vivid? People or places? Positive or negative? Handheld or tripod? Those are all decisions you need to make. And you are in a position to make. So make them! I look forward to see what you produce.

(Thinking about it I realise that if I set myself the challenge - to produce a short called “My Town” - I’m not sure I’d know where to start!)

8 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I don't think I am going to be able to interview people. Are there any alternatives to interviewing?

this is where YOUR artistry and YOUR brain are supposed to come in to play Zach

@Snowfun suggested “My Town” — super, thats a broad concept that you can clearly execute because..... you live somewhere, right??

so think about that phrase: “My Town”. ask yourself, how many different ways could you interpret that?

What is your town? Is it small or large? Do you like it? How does it make you feel?

Do you like the people? Do you think theyre cool? Do you wish they were different? Why?

Would you rather live somewhere else? Why?

What would you tell someone from Los Angeles who came to visit about your town, to describe it to them? In a word?

What about an alien from outer space? Whats your town like to him?

Maybe your town is internal, its a place inside you

Maybe its your inner view of the outside world. or maybe its something you’re  trapped in, and you dont like seeing out

maybe you live in a ghost town where everyone is dead

maybe your town is lost in time

Maybe your town is a tree because youre a squirrel ?

just let your mind wander its art mannnn

sp-FAQ-whats-the-deal-with-towelie-blog.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on Youtube suggested that I should make another Sammy the Sock episode. He said to do with stuffed animals this time. He also suggested to do it on an iPhone. Probably also told me to repeat making the short. I don't know what to do. What do you all think I should do. I don't have an iPhone and I like using my T2i. All I have avaliable as a phone is flip phone.

4 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

Someone on Youtube suggested that I should make another Sammy the Sock episode. He said to do with stuffed animals this time. He also suggested to do it on an iPhone. Probably also told me to repeat making the short. I don't know what to do. What do you all think I should do. I don't have an iPhone and I like using my T2i. All I have avaliable as a phone is flip phone.

Use whatever you have, shoot edit and publish, then do it again..  and again..

Almost every successful YouTuber has early videos that are awful (they may have deleted them but they were there) and every successful Hollywood film director has a box of awkward short films somewhere.  You get better by making films, not talking about equipment on forums.