How Can I Be A Young Director?

Zach Goodwin2

• Super Members
6 hours ago, leslie said:

Englands got talent had a dude that did a skit with sock puppets and a song that was pretty funny i think he was called tapemouth or tapface i forget

It wasn't us.

Two of our winners have been dogs.

So, Britain has decided that its dogs have more talent than its people.

Twice.

Whether thats a testament to the talent of our canines or a sad indictment of the talent of our humans is open to debate.

Of course it wouldn't be the last time the will of the people ended up causing an outcome that could be best described as a complete dog.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The notion of talent and relating it to final result resonates with your narcissism but has nothing to do with reality. 

Why do you consider yourself as relevant to film making? Do you have something to offer? Having a camera is not relevant today because everybody has a camera, and if you want to become a director because of your need for admiration and recognition you will fail, not only as a director but as a person because you have a mental illness that needs to be adressed.

If right now your only skill relevant to film making is making coffe you might try to make coffe for people who make films. If you consider yourself as more relevant you could try and show us why you consider this, I'm not seeing anything.

You all I have to focus on my college homework this weekend, but maybe next weekend when I have spring break I'll make the short films okay.

7 hours ago, Nikkor said:

The notion of talent and relating it to final result resonates with your narcissism but has nothing to do with reality. 

Why do you consider yourself as relevant to film making? Do you have something to offer? Having a camera is not relevant today because everybody has a camera, and if you want to become a director because of your need for admiration and recognition you will fail, not only as a director but as a person because you have a mental illness that needs to be adressed.

If right now your only skill relevant to film making is making coffe you might try to make coffe for people who make films. If you consider yourself as more relevant you could try and show us why you consider this, I'm not seeing anything.

I am not so sure how to answer this? I just want to make films to make films to entertain myself.

7 hours ago, Nikkor said:

I disagree with this on many levels. If you need to make money right now, then yeah, do something that people will pay for, whether its a computer programming job or making coffee for other filmmakers. But if filmmaking is something you enjoy, then do it. You aren't born with talent, you develop it with hard work and experience. Which is exactly what Zach is asking for: how to get experience without access to like-minded people.

14 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I just want to make films to make films to entertain myself.

That is a fantastic reason to make films. When automation and AI make human labor obsolete, people whose sense of self-worth is tied to fulfilling an economic need will find their life has no meaning. (getting off on a tangent, but the point is you should pursue things that you enjoy, regardless of their relevance to other people).

I think what he’s saying is that you can answer your own question by going out and making films. 

And if you’re desperate enough to make them, you could always set your camera on a tripod and film yourself as an actor. 

I’m sure your local church or library has some kind of bulletin board where you can post a casting notice. Build your films around what you have... for instance... don’t write an urban film if you live in a rural community.

Make One Minute films that you can put up on Instagram.

To sound a little cliche... if there’s a will, there’s a way.

However, it’s up to you and nobody on this site can help you build people skills. But if you are unabashedly yourself, then what more do you need?

31 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

You all I have to focus on my college homework this weekend, but maybe next weekend when I have spring break I'll make the short films okay.

Zach, I know how much you want to make films. I remember you posting similar threads 4 or 5 years ago. And I know about priorities in life. And I know making films is insanely difficult. But ask yourself... what can you do this week or today with a half hour of time that will prepare you to make that movie during your spring break?

I’m glad to hear you’re still using your t2i and FD lenses. I ended up buying a modified FD 50mm 1.4 that I adore on my 5D3. 

So with that being said, go back and look at what Kendy Ty did with his t2i and a single lens and a single character.

29 minutes ago, mercer said:

Zach, I know how much you want to make films. I remember you posting similar threads 4 or 5 years ago. And I know about priorities in life. And I know making films is insanely difficult. But ask yourself... what can you do this week or today with a half hour of time that will prepare you to make that movie during your spring break?

So with that being said, go back and look at what Kendy Ty did with his t2i and a single lens and a single character.

ZACH ^^^^^^^^^ (emphasis mine, sorry @mercer)

I made my first films built around short 1 to 5 minute comedy sketch ideas.  My friends and I would air that junk on the local public access station.  It was stupid and ultimately embarrassing stuff, but it got the ball rolling.  

Most of us have to do it wrong to learn how to do it right.

Point is, you can't do anything if you're not doing something.

Zach, it’s Sunday, almost Monday, are you writing something?

If you saw my art practice, ANYONE who sees it, would agree, love it or hate it, that it required a TON of work on my part. Clearly decades of development. Sitting on your ass playing video games or whatever the fuck does not make you an artist... no exceptions!!!

Sorry not sorry!!!

shirt-1536405205-9ac229aa910df29506c0316