Nikon Z5 to compete with RP

thebrothersthre3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hope it is a vloggers type of camera. That is a Nikon z6 with a normal (consumer) body, with a fully articulating screen. For photo same Nikon z6 sensor with slower FPS and SD card. For video same as z6 without RAW, I could also live without external 10 bit as a backup to the z6. Nikon really need to get into the hybrid vloggers market, and you don't get into it with a 2k camera and 600 usd lens and 150 XQD card. They should release at least a kit lens like a 24 (28) -105 f 3.5-5.6.

I am sure it will lack IBIS, quality of the body won't be great, and it'll have a single SD card slot most likely. The question is will they handicap it to only 1080p.

If it delivers 4k and has latest auto focus tech it will be a winner for sure. Will it be cropped 4k? An APSC 4k crop wouldn't be that bad. Nikon sensors are usually excellent.

It may have the same chip and processing as the Z6 - as it is cheaper to manufacture in bulk than come up with a custom design for a cheaper model. Where they could save on costs is by omitting IBIS. The problem there though is that Nikon seems to have made the (sensible) decision to keep stabilisation on the body, to keep the lenses lighter and smaller (and hopefully cheaper). Canon has taken the other road of stabilising lenses, and not bodies. So if Nikon brings out a budget, unstabilised body, do they also bring out a new budget stabilised kit lens (like the variable aperture 28-85mm on my D600)? 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wait for a Nikon Z DX camera before leaping in, that would be even more affordable than a Z5

Yeah, at some point they gotta ditch that regurgitated sensor from the D5200 (I believe it's still the same in the D5600, no? Which is the same as in the D5300, so... same sensor but without the AA-filter?) and traditional DSLR approach you'd think. I'm selling my D5300, so collected all bits and bobs and took a shot with it to figure out the shutter count. But the quality actually is still really rather impressive. Nikon results are always on point. I just never was able to live with a traditional DSLR, as my first foray into interchangable cameras was with a mirrorless one: the GH2. Just from a usability standpoint I'd say no to mirrored cameras. But... I'm also saying no to FF cameras. I like the option to have small compact glass, which usually comes in affordable priceranges as well. Honestly, the D5300 with that 35mm f/1.8G is pretty brilliant. Just... would be so much better mirrorless, with IBIS, shooting uncropped 4K and having somewhat solid C-AF. Fujifilm I'm slowly warming up to. But videocentric lacking IBIS and hardly any OIS lenses for example kinda puts me of. Also, not as a supported platform by third parties as some of the others. Canon EOS-M I find a bad joke. And Sony A6x00 is the wrong approach (small body = issues) with a neglected native to sensor size lens line-up (pushing you towards the more interesting FF E-mount lens options, but at the cost of size/weight/price; defeating the point of a small body). So, I'm still with MFT that has much improved post-GH4 in terms of performance. But... I could be swayed by a Nikon Z APS-C crop camera if it's basically a GH5 with APS-C performance and (S35) advantages. And they do have the most flexible mount out there in terms of flange distance as well, respect for that.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wait for a Nikon Z DX camera before leaping in, that would be even more affordable than a Z5

I'm not sure Nikon would make an APS-C Z-mounted camera. Such a large mount opening with a smaller sensor. It kind of defeats the purpose of the Z-mount. But if Nikon makes a DX F-mount mirrorless camera, it would certainly cannibalize it's recent D7500 and perhaps their entry level 3000 and 5000 series DSLR's

Now, Nikon making a Z-mounted Medium Format sensor size Hasselblad competitor...THAT would be a camera market earthquake seismic event.

20 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, at some point they gotta ditch that regurgitated sensor from the D5200 (I believe it's still the same in the D5600, no? Which is the same as in the D5300, so... same sensor but without the AA-filter?) and traditional DSLR approach you'd think.

The D5200 sensor (also the same on in the D7100/D7200, and the recent D3x00 cameras) is still quite a nice sensor that is still relevant in 2019 in a low low priced camera. 

But maybe they'd use the D500 sensor if the D5200 sensor isn't capable of 4K in any form?

A D5700 like body with a Z Mount and a D500 sensor all for the low price of $500 is a camera I'd be keen to see announced. 

13 hours ago, DeMarcus Davis said:

I'm not sure Nikon would make an APS-C Z-mounted camera.

Eventually DSLRs will disappear. 

APS-C cameras are the biggest selling segment in the camera market. Would be supremely foolish to give that up just because they're moving to mirrorless!

Thus logic dictates that Nikon will be certain to introduce a DX Z mount camera.  Unless you think they'll be making sub $500 FX cameras in the near ish future?? I highly doubt it!

DX cameras are needed for the mass market, and to help bring in new blood into the Nikon ecosystem to support Nikon into the future. No way on earth is Nikon giving that. 

It is not a matter of "if" Nikon makes a mirrorless DX camera, but "when"

wouldn't they have to develop a DX Z-mount lens line-up first? That could take some time, their focus is already on getting the FF S line out..

also i keep hearing APS-C has peaked and is on it's way out. could be true now that CaNikon FF bodies have reached the $1K mark.

personally, i wanna see Nikon do a pro (D5) type MILC & a cine cam. wishful thinking though I'm afraid.. 

Full frame cameras are starting to come out cheap but there capabilities are low compared to something like the XT3. Only the top end of full frame is on par in terms of things like high FPS shooting. I'm sure that'll change eventually. M43 still has advantages, I think aps-c will be around for a while.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, Cinegain said:

Yeah, at some point they gotta ditch that regurgitated sensor from the D5200 (I believe it's still the same in the D5600, no? Which is the same as in the D5300, so... same sensor but without the AA-filter?)

Didn't they change sensors with the D5300? I seem to remember that the D5200 (and by extension, D7100) had some issue with banding at high ISOs, which the D5300's newer sensor cleared up.

But yeah, they've been on the same basic sensor and CPU for about five years now. Good news for those of us who invested in a D5500 right after it came out, less so for others.

Yeah I’m going to have to agree that if a DX mirrorless is released anytime soon, it will most likely be an F Mount, or will be bundled with an F to Z adapter. So, honestly... I don’t see a mirrorless DX Camera for a couple years. The good news is the D5700 may have a lot of the goodies of a mirrorless but in a DSLR.

I think the D3xxx and D5xxx series will stay as DSLRs and the D7xxx and/or the D5xx series will end up with a mirrorless version.

19 hours ago, DeMarcus Davis said:

Now, Nikon making a Z-mounted Medium Format sensor size Hasselblad competitor...THAT would be a camera market earthquake seismic event.

Just use one of the Kipon Baveyes MF-to-FF focal reducers made for the Nikon Z-mount.  As an added benefit over straight MF, you get an extra stop of brightness.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

TechArt's E mount adapter for the Z will open up a lot of new possibilities.

Including using the existing MD to E mount speed boosters.

I am mega excited about that one.

I have the Techart Leica M AF adapter and that's superb, and I have the Fuji GFX adapter for EF and the autofocus on that is as good as the native AF with Fuji's own medium format lenses.

They have yet to disappoint. Very good company.