elmoscope type 1

leslie

ok i kinda weakened last night... found a type1 elmoscope it had an hour to go  glass looks clean here's two pics. there's abit of talk on the forum about the type 2 being better or the one to get. so i'm curious as to why that is ? i couldn't find any real comparisons between the type one or two, lots of reviews comparing the type 2 to other anamorphics but not much talk comparing the two elmoscopes. i couldn't seem to find anything negative about the type 1 only that the type 2 is better liked. the title description lists it as    Excellent ELMOSCOPE Anamorphic Projector 16mm 8mm Vintage Camera Projection Lens. so i figure it should be ok on mft  when the bmp4k eventually turns up . i did find one review who had it mounted to a 5d so i'm thinking i'm safe in that regard. more pics to come when it arrives.   opinions ?  

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16001.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, it's a nice lens & as Tito said is basically identical to the Sankor 16D (some say its a rebranded Sankor), not the Kowa! It is exactly the same width at the back as the Version 2 & has blue flares (I think some don't, but the one I had did). The Elmoscope 2 is basically the same as a Kowa for B&H etc.

They're cheap & good - not as small as you might think, but not massive.

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Anamorphic_Lenses#2x_Anamorphic_attachments

awesome, thanks for the replies guys. it was definitely an impulse buy and sometimes those impulse buys can go horribly wrong  so its a bit of a relief to hear back from you guys, i couldn't see how it wouldn't work, i was just unsure why the mark two was more popular . speculating aloud, what sort of widths are we talking ? soonish i hope to have a  mft mount so that's what i am planning for

8 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

what tweak said. More like a Sankor 16-D, since the Kowa 16-D is tiny. :)

True, my bad had 16D on the wrong spot haha. Sankor 16-D also Kowa 16/16A are very similar (though physically shorter) but will still perform very much the same, is what I was getting at.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm it seems the back thread is an unusual size.here is a photo, i think i should be looking for a 50mm thread. ebay lists 49mm or 52 mm but no 50 mm so i'm kinda looking at this clamp which has the convenient 52mm thread size

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANAMORPHIC-LENS-CLAMP-KIT-KOWA-SANKOR-SINGER-ISCO/291040851278?hash=item43c362f54e:g:f1sAAOSwXeJYGhpm

am i on the right track ?

elmo-thread-size.gif

Many people say that vidatlantic's clamps aren't that good. They can damage your scope pretty easily and leave screw marks on the barrel. 

To be honest, I'd go with some manufactured clamp, especially since your back thread isn't standard size. 

You could try asking RafCamera (Russia) or Arkadiusz Kroma (Poland) - both of them offer the best quality/price ratio - or just go all in and contact Redstan (UK), whose clamps are simply a work of art. 

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, Mizzle said:

Hi Leslie. Just wondering what your solution was in the end and what clamp you went with as I am having difficulty finding exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance

i didn't hear back. not sure whether my email got lost or what, i was kinda impatient after a couple of weeks, i ended up getting a local machinist to turn something up. However it would have been cheaper buying redstan. from what i remember the back thread size is metric 49 mm

Some what related... bizarrely i seem to find double focusing easier on the canon 60d than the p4k. i have no logical explanation for why that is either. I do have ml installed on the canon but the 60d doesn't really get me the resolutions or clip length i would like. I'm undecided on getting a fvd or a better model canon to run ml and raw on

i do have an active  thread called bmp4k adventures there maybe more info or pictures on the anamorphic set up there

• 7 months later...

bizarrely i find it easier to dual focus using it on the canon 60d shooting photos is easier,  the video aspect is a little soft. Putting it on the p4k and dual focusing is / or has been painful. However that may have been my eyes and had issues with headaches recently which hasnt helped. I think i have the headaches sorted now or at least they have settled down.

taking lens wise i have been using  pentax m42 85mm f1.9 and other lenses in various focal lens and some other weird lenses like the nikon 63 enlarger lens. on the p4k.  From memory i can go down to 40mm focal length before it vignettes.  35mm vignettes but may still be usable if i crop, yet to try that. Im desperately trying to save for a fvd16, i talked to someone at rapido and the the fvd16 will fit the elmoscope type 1. Getting  the fvd 35 would have been a bridge too far at the moment at double the price, so thats the next step. I have pretty much chronicled my journey in a thread called p4k adventures, not much video footage but there's more info there i guess.  hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Okok, I received some step up / down rings yesterday. 

Taking lenses for my Pocket 4K with the Elmoscope type 1 I used were 35mm T2.2 Meike cine lens and a Canon FD 50mm 1.8. 

Using the anamorphic mode for the BMPCC4K I got decent results: the 35mm is slightly vignetting (not a hard vignette, just a little Grey corners), so I actually like it the way it is. Cropping in, it's more than usable. 

The 50mm is giving me a headache, because the adapter (FD to Mft) is moving and I don't have a lens support yet. Still the overall cheapest solution if you want to get into anamorphic. 

There isn't much coating, Direct light from the front lights up a huge horizontal oval Grey (especially with the 35), making the picture totally Grey in the corners, lens flares are warm blue. 

If someone finds this thread here is a list :

20€ step up rings

270€ elmoscope type 1 incl redstan Adapter

20€ lens support

550€ fvd 16 (or any other diopter that fits on sankor 16d too) 

(things I already had

(50€ 50mm taking lens

15€ taking lens adapter

5€ some aluminum rods off the shelf 

40€ baseplate

)) 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:27 PM, Burnhard said:

Okok, I received some step up / down rings yesterday. 

Taking lenses for my Pocket 4K with the Elmoscope type 1 I used were 35mm T2.2 Meike cine lens and a Canon FD 50mm 1.8. 

Using the anamorphic mode for the BMPCC4K I got decent results: the 35mm is slightly vignetting (not a hard vignette, just a little Grey corners), so I actually like it the way it is. Cropping in, it's more than usable. 

The 50mm is giving me a headache, because the adapter (FD to Mft) is moving and I don't have a lens support yet. Still the overall cheapest solution if you want to get into anamorphic. 

There isn't much coating, Direct light from the front lights up a huge horizontal oval Grey (especially with the 35), making the picture totally Grey in the corners, lens flares are warm blue. 

If someone finds this thread here is a list :

20€ step up rings

270€ elmoscope type 1 incl redstan Adapter

20€ lens support

550€ fvd 16 (or any other diopter that fits on sankor 16d too) 

(things I already had

(50€ 50mm taking lens

15€ taking lens adapter

5€ some aluminum rods off the shelf 

40€ baseplate

)) 

got any photos of the rig or a couple of stills,  most of us gear heads like to oOh and aRh over such stuff 😉

i think i paid $350 ish for the elmoscope,  that's australian dollars the clamp was about $180 kinda pricey but at least i keep someone local fed and watered for another day.

i do have one question, the anamorphic mode on the p4k is for normal lenses or spherical lenses  right ? it doesn't desqueeze the image right ? Maybe my tiny little brain has missed something. Normally i shoot 16/9 drag it into resolve, stretch it and crop following one of tito's guides. Cant really try the anamorphic mode on the p4k at the moment as i rolled back from 6.8 to 6.1 for two reasons.  !) just to see how hard it was.  2) I have a project in mind that may work better with dng's.

5 hours ago, leslie said:

i do have one question, the anamorphic mode on the p4k is for normal lenses or spherical lenses  right ? it doesn't desqueeze the image right ?

According to this piece of info, it does desqueeze the image:

- Added support for 2.8K 4:3 2880 x 2160 recording in Blackmagic RAW up to 80 fps for anamorphic lenses.

- Added support for 2x desqueeze preview when recording 4K 4:3.

- Added support for 1.33x desqueeze preview

4:3 aspect ratio in 2.8K is to be used with anamorphic lenses, whereas the 2.4:1 ratio in 4K is meant for spherical lenses.