Jump to content
DanielVranic

Helios 44-4 Adapter

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

Been looking around quite a bit to see what is the best/most affordable (trying to balance that) adapter to go anamorphic on this lens.

My 44-4 is Speedboosted so my XT3 has the full frame view. In alot of my research I keep finding people who are faking it with filters and mods to the lens, but nothing "true" anamorphic.  

What would be the best add-on package for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

Hello everyone!

Been looking around quite a bit to see what is the best/most affordable (trying to balance that) adapter to go anamorphic on this lens.

My 44-4 is Speedboosted so my XT3 has the full frame view. In alot of my research I keep finding people who are faking it with filters and mods to the lens, but nothing "true" anamorphic.  

What would be the best add-on package for this?

Personally, the best bang for your buck would be the Singer/Sankor 16D or the Elmoscope I (they're basically the same lens) - they normally have the blue flares, are x2 stretch & are cheap. Yes, they might be slightly bigger than some other options out there, but they're not that big - not in comparison to say an Iscorama 54. The fact that they are cheap means that you can also afford to buy a variable diopter like a Rectilux, once you get fed up of the dual focus.

Also, try to get yourself a Helios 44-2 as they have a preset aperture, which means you don't have click stops & so allows you to make small aperture adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely you'll get a huge vignette if you speedboost your Helios and then add an anamorphic adapter on top.

To get a vignette-free image with 2x scopes, you have to aim for at least 70/75mm 35mm eqv.

 

Just drop the focal reducer and you're all set.

 

I use ISCO Ultra Star and am reallly happy with it. Goes quite wide (meaning: allows me to mount a speedboosted 50mm on M4/3), does not influence sharpness and contrast and isn't that expensive. The only drawback is muted flares.

 

If you have any more questions, ask away!

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Sankor 16-D or Elmo I will vignette like crazy on a Helios 44 speedboosted to full frame. Go for an 85mm focal length if you want full sensor coverage, or pull up 4:3 crop marks and live with dark edges in the shot.

Best bang for the buck though, in my opinion, is the SLR Magic Anamorphot 40-Compact. Cheap, available, flares, gives you a taste of what the real deal is, and will work fine with your Helios on full frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't read the speedbooster bit - just don't use the speedbooster, simple. Or even better, just put an 85mm lens on there - anamorphics work better with longer focal lengths.

If you like the Helios, get a Jupiter 9 & a Tair 11a & you'll have a nice set (58mm, 85mm & 135mm)

Personally, i'd keep away from the SLR Magic stuff, as the coatings are gross & they make the flares look nasty - also a lot more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Personally, i'd keep away from the SLR Magic stuff, as the coatings are gross & they make the flares look nasty - also a lot more expensive.

Yeah, the flares are hardcore, but you can tone them down in post in a few seconds.

As for price, the Compact goes for $500, while it's hard to find a good anamorphic under $350.

In the end, it's personal taste/budget. I don't have any SLR Magic lenses at the moment, nor any 2x scopes, I only held onto an Iscorama pre36, because I don't want to deal with double focus/single focus attachments. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tito Ferradans said:

Yeah, the flares are hardcore, but you can tone them down in post in a few seconds.

As for price, the Compact goes for $500, while it's hard to find a good anamorphic under $350.

In the end, it's personal taste/budget. I don't have any SLR Magic lenses at the moment, nor any 2x scopes, I only held onto an Iscorama pre36, because I don't want to deal with double focus/single focus attachments. 😛

I just keep seeing Elmoscope I & 16Ds going quite cheap - also a lot in actual auction mode, not Buy It Now.

I also hate it when people recommend the Isco Multi-coloured nonsense lenses - horrible.

I just kept 4 & only really use 2 of them (Iscorama 54 & Widescreen 2000), not even sure where the other 2 are - storage somewhere?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys! I’m new to the whole anamorphic game, but I have a panavision superama 16mm anamorphic projector lens and I wonder if i could use it, and if so What My taking lens should be. I tried with a Konica 40mm lens ( because the front lens element is small) but i still get a lot of vignetting. Also the rear lens element is out ortho projector lens and i wonder if that could be the problem? 

Thanks in advance!

Гелиос

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

Would the Anamorphot40 Compact work on that?

It should.

SLR Magic states that lenses with their front element smaller than 40mm are gonna be just fine. 

17 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

And would the AF still work?

Up to some degree - yes, it would. 

Mostly depends on what f-stop you will be shooting and how big focus transition you want to achieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...