cinematic color?

stefanocps

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/2/2019 at 1:22 AM, KnightsFan said:

Bioshock?

But seriously, I think that the developer of a video game should NOT steer the player. Games are the only medium where the consumer actively shapes the artwork itself. Illusion of free will is ignoring the unique ability of games to provide actual free will.

I agree.  I see three different 'levels' of determinism in virtual worlds.  The first is where you have no control because everything is pre-planned (like watching a film).  The third is where the player has total control and whatever happens happens, and the world is generated completely by algorithms and probabilities.  The second is a hybrid, like you're in a virtual world that has certain rules but at a specific point you will transition into a different phase with different rules, kind of like going through the acts in a film.  Games typically exist in the second type where they have seasons, or specific items you have to find or monsters to conquer or whatever to drive the plot forwards.

I'm just gearing up for VR development and am thinking about this stuff a lot recently.  I think VR (and then AR) has a huge future and I want to be part of that.  I've consistently been disappointed with what computers can do vs what developers actually build, so I'm basically going to try and create the things that I want someone else to do.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, kye said:

I agree about it being invasive.  My dad thinks that smartphones are invasive.  My daughter told me that she is happy to be born in the best time to be alive for all of human history, both past and future, and when I asked her why she listed a few things, but the first one was having a smartphone and internet.

The times, they are a changin'.....

You could give me a million dollars and I still wouldn't want to give up my smartphone and internet!

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You could give me a million dollars and I still wouldn't want to give up my smartphone and internet!

For a million dollars I sure as hell will give up my smartphone. (internet probably not, as using google, netflix, vimeo, forums is something I cannot miss) As with that million dollars I can start living the life I want, quit my dayjob. Do video/film full time, creating a business that if my family has interest can take over when I retire. Heck they may even film me and make a tv show out of it for all I care..  

On 3/2/2019 at 7:12 PM, kye said:

I'm just gearing up for VR development and am thinking about this stuff a lot recently.

I did some VR development a few years ago when I had access to a university Oculus. It was a ton of fun. Even simple things like mapping a 360 video so you can freely look around is amazing, let alone playing VR games with the handset and everything.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:12 PM, kye said:

or specific items you have to find or monsters to conquer or whatever to drive the plot forwards.

I guess what I love in games is where the game never forces you to use a certain item to defeat the monster, thereby encouraging creativity to overcome tasks. You could get that specific item, or you could find a way to bypass the monster altogether--but then that same monster may come up later in the game. That's where cinematic techniques like color come in. The developer may use color to psychologically influence a player to make a decision, which makes it much more rewarding to find a different way to accomplish the task.

For a great use of color in a game, think of Mirror's Edge, where objects you interact with are bright red and yellow against a mostly white world. It's makes it much easier to identify things you can climb without stopping and breaking your momentum. Films can use color in a similar way, to draw attenion to certain objects, but the fact that attention is drawn to an object actually changes how a game is played and, in some cases, the actual plot of the game, whereas a movie still exists on a linear timeline no matter where you look.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:12 PM, kye said:

I'm just gearing up for VR development and am thinking about this stuff a lot recently.  I think VR (and then AR) has a huge future and I want to be part of that.  I've consistently been disappointed with what computers can do vs what developers actually build, so I'm basically going to try and create the things that I want someone else to do.

That's the way its done. I dabbled in that arena with the DK2 a few years back; my feeling was that the new Unreal Engine 4 at the time was the way to go. Its a free platform, with uncompromising graphic fidelity, integrated VR handling, and exposed C++ source if you want. I will be getting back in with CV2

4 minutes ago, Sage said:

That's the way its done. I dabbled in that arena with the DK2 a few years back; my feeling was that the new Unreal Engine 4 at the time was the way to go. Its a free platform, with uncompromising graphic fidelity, integrated VR handling, and exposed C++ source if you want. I will be getting back in with CV2

I've just started with Unity.  

I read a bunch of comparisons and they seemed to think that Unity was better for smaller studios and for doing mobile, so I'll see how I go.  In a sense I'm not the typical user because I know how to code and I don't want to use it for what it's designed for, so I guess we'll see.  I've learned so many programming languages over the years that it's not that hard to pick things up, although these things are very far removed from programming, so I guess I'll see how I go.  I suspect that I'll likely abandon the game interface and end up coding most things, as my goal is more around algorithmically rendered environments rather than typical 3D apps or games.

22 minutes ago, kye said:

I've just started with Unity.  

I read a bunch of comparisons and they seemed to think that Unity was better for smaller studios and for doing mobile, so I'll see how I go.  In a sense I'm not the typical user because I know how to code and I don't want to use it for what it's designed for, so I guess we'll see.  I've learned so many programming languages over the years that it's not that hard to pick things up, although these things are very far removed from programming, so I guess I'll see how I go.  I suspect that I'll likely abandon the game interface and end up coding most things, as my goal is more around algorithmically rendered environments rather than typical 3D apps or games.

Not a bad way to go! The most appealing quality of Unreal was the photorealism; granted I was one to get a Gtx1080 at release to do a 4k downsample to CV1. Have you tried Dreadhalls? I remember that as being an algorithmically rendered dungeon (unique every time), and it was pretty scary.

1 hour ago, Sage said:

Not a bad way to go! The most appealing quality of Unreal was the photorealism; granted I was one to get a Gtx1080 at release to do a 4k downsample to CV1. Have you tried Dreadhalls? I remember that as being an algorithmically rendered dungeon (unique every time), and it was pretty scary.

Cool.  No, I haven't tried it.  TBH I'm not really a gamer.  This might seem strange for me to be looking at programming, but my ideas come from a place a bit different to how things are traditionally done.

I've previously written complete 3D engines from scratch and so when I first contemplated getting into this I was essentially looking for a 3D VR polygon engine that I could just program, whereas these things are more like using the Doom level editor than actually coding something, which is kind of promising I think because that's not at all what I'm thinking of, so in a sense I'm likely to get different results and stand out from the crowd.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

@kye Unity is a lot more programmer friendly than Unreal, certainly a lot easier to make content primarily from a text editor than it is in Unreal. Unless you need really low level hardware control, Unity is the way to go for hacking around and making non-traditional apps.

Awesome, that's cool to hear.

My first idea was more as a VR experience to generate the entire 3D environment using fractal mathematics, recursive algorithms and other techniques to generate alternative spaces that aren't designed to look like the real world.  It seems silly to me to take computing power that can basically render whatever you want and then use it to just try and copy the real world.  

Anyway, once I've worked out how it works I'll probably just be creating and moving objects around with code and not really using the editor at all.

I just have to work through their examples..  first step is to work out why their 3D game kit gets compiler errors.  and when I say first step, I have to work out where I see those errors, then what they mean, then how to fix them :)

i couldnt live without the internet for any amount of money, id rather die. i talk about how great the 90s were, before 9/11, etc etc, but im full of it. contemporary internet is freakin fantastic

on one hand, its the absolute key to my dream life, where i could spend the time needed on sets, in LA, but NOT LIVE THERE ANYMORE!!! im over it!! but i wanna be able to communicate with ppl v well, and just today, with my broken imac, i sent a friend a drive link to my film from my phone, he downloaded that 7 gig file, and watched it on his 4k tv, all in a matter of minutes. unreal! i grew up in an age where ppl MAILED FILM. OVERNIGHT. EXPRESS. CAN OF FILM IN THA MAIL.

additionally, internet allows an introvert on a mountain, like myself, to talk to the whole world~! and thats how i found u guys, and i find ppl irl who become my filmmaking friends all the time ???

and theres free p*rn, not for @BTM_Pix tho

On 3/7/2019 at 10:45 PM, zerocool22 said:

For a million dollars I sure as hell will give up my smartphone. (internet probably not, as using google, netflix, vimeo, forums is something I cannot miss) As with that million dollars I can start living the life I want, quit my dayjob. Do video/film full time, creating a business that if my family has interest can take over when I retire. Heck they may even film me and make a tv show out of it for all I care..  

A million dollars doesn't take you quite as far as you might think. Not over your entire lifetime. 

Plus having no internet and no smartphone is a bigger downside than you think. (as like you said.... you wouldn't want to give up google!)

16 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I could probably give up the internet for a million dollars. I could get someone else to manage social media for business. 

Just hiring someone to do that one task would quickly eat into a lot of that million dollars over your lifetime. 

11 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

A million dollars doesn't take you quite as far as you might think. Not over your entire lifetime. 

Plus having no internet and no smartphone is a bigger downside than you think. (as like you said.... you wouldn't want to give up google!)

Just hiring someone to do that one task would quickly eat into a lot of that million dollars over your lifetime. 

Yeah I know, but it will give me enough of a headstart of starting my own business. As of now I have too big of a risk too take as I have a steady job( and I need a steady income to pay for house, kids, wife,...). 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't live off of it, although I could especially in certain places. I wouldn't use social media unless I needed it for business and then it would be paying for itself.

For how low our incomes are then housing pricing is bonkers insane in Auckland, we're one of the most unaffordable places on the planet. Is just places like say Hong Kong etc which beat our housing inaffordability

(although, technically it is just shy of a million dollars NZD)

Although just in recent months the housing market seems to have been softening. 

Just maybe maybe, we might be coming up to a big housing crash like it seems Sydney is experiencing