Shotgun/Boom Mic with Windscreen Question

chadandreo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

You may need a blimp system for better protection, or a softie for a more basic one.

A good (Rycote) softie is the best solution (money/performance).

I will definitely get a blimp down the line, but I have a few more production items that I have to invest in first. 

I will look into the Rycote. I love their undercovers. 
Thanks

1 hour ago, chadandreo said:

I will definitely get a blimp down the line, but I have a few more production items that I have to invest in first. 

I will look into the Rycote. I love their undercovers. 
Thanks

If you prefer "just" a softie solution, the most modern is 

https://eu.bubblebeeindustries.com/products/the-spacer-bubble

A little bit more expensive than the rest, but with lower profile and excellent performance.

Which microphone(s) do you use?

On 2/26/2019 at 3:47 PM, chadandreo said:

When using a Boom/Shotgun mic on a boom outdoors, do you guys use the foam windscreen and fur windscreen/DeadCat together, or do you remove the base foam windscreen that comes with most mics?

Mostly I'm using a zeppelin (and no, the foam is not kept on the mic itself once inside the zeppelin). 

But sometimes I'll use something like a Rode WS6 if there is almost no wind outdoors. 

On 2/27/2019 at 2:38 AM, chadandreo said:

The Marantz one seems to be a copy of the version one of the old Rode Blimp, and it costs less than a hundred fifty bucks!

There is no good reason to not get one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1302687-REG/marantz_professional_zp_1_blimp_style_microphone_windscreen.html

(exception... unless you already own something better! I'll accept that excuse. Is kinda my reason why I didn't buy a Marantz Blimp. As I already own a Rode and Rycote one, and my next one will probably be something like a Cinela or Cyclone instead than a Marantz!)

• 1 month later...

On 2/26/2019 at 8:47 AM, chadandreo said:

When using a Boom/Shotgun condenser mic on a boom outdoors, do you guys use the foam windscreen and fur windscreen/DeadCat together, or do you remove the base foam windscreen that comes with most mics?

Not even close. You don't need a hotshot mic, and they produce bad audio. This because the camera records in AGC via the hot shoe, which crushes dynamics and is the opposite of audiophile sound. You cannot manually set audio levels if you use the hot shoe for audio.

A zeppelin would be the best solution. After this comes the dead cat. I also use a Rycote softie (just check the mic's diameter and lenght since they make different models with different diameters but with the same name). The foam  screen is almost useless outdoor.

I will also consider the old and now discontinued Rycote S serie, basically a cheap and detachable zeppelin. They are quite cheap on ebay but are hard to find. I am still looking for mine.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:47 AM, chadandreo said:

When using a Boom/Shotgun mic on a boom outdoors, do you guys use the foam windscreen and fur windscreen/DeadCat together, or do you remove the base foam windscreen that comes with most mics?

You remove the foam windscreen and put the dead cat on.