New low budget "pro" wireless: Deity Connect

IronFilm

25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Is it "too much"?

Lots of Lectrosonics wireless can be set to 100mW and used all day long, I even own several transmitters which operate at 250mW

In EU 100mW are illegal. In the allowed frequencies that we have left 50mW is the maximum. This is for health concerns, so, I wouldn't like to have multiple Tx/Rx transmitting at 100mW on me for 8 hours per day.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.totalsonic.nl/media/content/samson/Downloads/handoutfrequencies2015.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiu-dLTyd7hAhXSa1AKHUzEAKUQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3ngcrOm3cPYenTNscVTN0R

By the way, something simar of what I was talking about and the car example I gave (line of sight for higher frequencies).

"The 2.4 GHz band is increasingly congested with various systems including WiFi (also referred to as Wireless LAN, wireless networks, 802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth and 'leakage' from microwave ovens. The 6 GHz band has problems of range (requires line of sight) due to the extremely short transmission carrier wavelengths."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/22/rode-wireless-go-review/

Hmm seems super practical(like leave it your backpack at all times, like during a hike) on the other hand if the audio quality is not that great then I better buy a sony udw-p set.

Better buy the Sony if you can afford it! It is definitely 2tiers above and it is not Rodelink big either.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:09 AM, IronFilm said:

I am definitely waiting for the version 2.0

Too many deal breakers with this one.

With clear line of sight and 8 wi fi networks he does barely 25m. Most of the times there are dozens of wi fi networks.

If you are buying between this one and Saramonic/Boyu, the Deity is much better ofcourse.

Yes, seems like this once again falls into the category of "best in class for the price" if you're buying new. However if you're willing to spend significantly more or spend a lot of time hunting for secondhand deals (just purchased another Lectrosonics LMa today!) then you've got lots of better options. 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, seems like this once again falls into the category of "best in class for the price" if you're buying new. However if you're willing to spend significantly more or spend a lot of time hunting for secondhand deals (just purchased another Lectrosonics LMa today!) then you've got lots of better options. 

As I said previously for the Deity(Aputure back then) microphones, it doesn't worth to "invest" on their new concepts. Their 2nd versions are much better. This is a standard procedure for Chinese products, and especially Aputure.

If you see their lights also, the mkII versions are MUCH better than the first ones, and for the same price. Check the recently released 120 and 300.

In this one, the noise floor is too pronounced for me, they couldn't match right with any of my other equipment, and the latency is kind of tricky, because I always running 1-2 mics + my wireless and usually shooting 50 frames. Plus the WiFi interference seems to determine the distance, and I shoot on some buildings (in the city center or government buildings) that have 30-50 wi fi networks, or more, and my UWP have been sufficient so far.

Also, I believe the design can be improved in the next version, which won't be very far away. September 2020 will be in the market, for sure!

On 4/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, Kisaha said:

Also, I believe the design can be improved in the next version, which won't be very far away. September 2020 will be in the market, for sure!

True, although the big big difference between the Deity Connect Wireless and past products from Deity/Aputure, is that they can release firmware updates which you can easily update yourself to get an improved product immediately. Perhaps you won't need to wait until 2020?

Firmware V1.1 has already been released and it fixes a few issues and expands a few other features.

https://www.deitymic.com/firmware/

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 1:38 PM, Kisaha said:

In EU 100mW are illegal. In the allowed frequencies that we have left 50mW is the maximum. This is for health concerns, so, I wouldn't like to have multiple Tx/Rx transmitting at 100mW on me for 8 hours per day.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.totalsonic.nl/media/content/samson/Downloads/handoutfrequencies2015.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiu-dLTyd7hAhXSa1AKHUzEAKUQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3ngcrOm3cPYenTNscVTN0R

By the way, something simar of what I was talking about and the car example I gave (line of sight for higher frequencies).

"The 2.4 GHz band is increasingly congested with various systems including WiFi (also referred to as Wireless LAN, wireless networks, 802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth and 'leakage' from microwave ovens. The 6 GHz band has problems of range (requires line of sight) due to the extremely short transmission carrier wavelengths."

so how it comes they are sold in germany? Are they limited there to less than 100mw?

10 hours ago, Jak234 said:

so how it comes they are sold in germany? Are they limited there to less than 100mw?

I have no clue. What the selling page does say? Are they restricted in any way?

I was also reffering to the standard or hybrid devices, maybe the 2.4GhZ is different.

Have in mind that 100mW in 2.4GhZ has a lot less range (that depends of a lot of factors obviously) than a typical 50mW Lectrosonics or other brand. They are not directly comparable in output power. All these depends by the technology and the wave they use e.g my Sonys are I believe just 25mW and I am expecting them to be at least similar in range with the Deity. Mine operate at 470 - 542MhZ. 470-542mhZ vs 2.4GhZ do you see the difference here? 

It is mportant to understand the differences between systems. 2.4GhZ is a free band that is free to license and very cheap to build around it (there are litteraly unlimited devices operating in the 2.4GhZ spectrum, so there are unlimited and very cheap components also).

None of the expensive and highly professional wireless systems are using 2.4GhZ. The other 2.4GhZ systems from Sennheiser and Rode are consumer systems, while the Sennheiser AVX, which is prosumer, operates in 2.5GhZ, and there is a significant rise in price (2 times their cheaper 2.4GhZ system).

In anyway, I would be expecting a better Deity version sooner than later (in 12-14months time) because there are some serious flows with the system, e.g noise floor to be very high for a prosumer/pro wireless system. Even Judd, which is the least offensive and critical guy ever, admitted that the noise is a big problem from him, and he is not even a real sound man!

We are paying - literally - thousands of euros for the least noise floor possible, I wouldn't buy anything sub par for my chain.

Sony UWP are still the absolute minimum for me.

Now, if you are buying Boyu and some totally unknown Chinese brands, then better buy the Deity, but then, you can just buy cheaper a different option like the Rode Go or Sennheiser which are more straightforward to use and smaller and lighter.

At the moment the Deity is a bit lost in translation. If it was out a year ago (where the Go and Senny didn't exist) it would have sold a lot, now it needs a second version to be taken more seriously from prosumers/pros. Of course Deity/Aputure are masters of digital marketing and dominate markets such China and India, so they will do fine, but because they want to build a serious user base, they will have to make a better version sooner than later.

This is just my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

The other 2.4GhZ systems from Sennheiser and Rode are consumer systems, while the Sennheiser AVX, which is prosumer, operates in 2.5GhZ, and there is a significant rise in price (2 times their cheaper 2.4GhZ system).

AVX is not 2.4 or 2.5GhZ its operates at 1.9Ghz

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

AVX is not 2.4 or 2.5GhZ its operates at 1.9Ghz

Sorry, my mistake, my point was/is that they operate on a dedicated band and not the free for all 2.4Ghz, and while they have "amateurish"/prosumer characteristics are twice the price of the XS series. As a professional sound man, both of those are not of any interest to me, but for one-man-bands and solo cameramen, they can offer an easy and convenient way to have some usable sound.

Also, wireless transmissions equipment are not just a "gadget", they are very complicated tools that its use has very strict laws and regulations, for health and safety reasons, but telecommunication and military also. It isn't something that is created lightly, that is why for cheap systems the 2.4GhZ is the best solution for manufacturers.

Easy to get lost on the budget friendly options, but to put things in perspective go check the prices of what professionals use and you will get the point. Professional sound is a quite expensive endeavor, but you do not have to upgrade every know and then.

Take this as an example, for 2 ch. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1374631-REG/lectrosonics_src_smwb_dual_transmitter_and.html

this is a 5.900$ kit and in Europe only the receiver is 3000euros! The Deity is what? 649$-699$? Where do you put the limit of your budget? what is your intended use? how far you want to go for your sound? what your customers want and/or need? these are all questions we have to an swear for ourselves every day, and every decision we make. 

Sound is a very responsible aspect of filmmaking, "medium" is not good enough for sound, what if you have drop offs? what if you have only 10 meters of range on highly polluted by signals territories (for me the G series is dead for a few years now, it is very difficult in city centers and big buildings to keep free signal for long), and when you have anything wireless, you loose some quality mind you, even for ultra expensive Zaxcom, and there are so many other factors to consider..  

Just some food for thought from a sound man perspective. 

My advice is, keep it clean and simple as you can, if it is getting more complex, or more professional, hire a sound man with his tools and experience. Experience in sound is like 90-95% of the job.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...