Sony Xperia 1

JurijTurnsek

Sony has finally put their digital camera and mobile team on the same e-mail chain and things have started moving in the right direction:

• triple camera, albeit the main sensor is a bit smaller than the best competition
  • 21:9 4K OLED screen
  • cinema mode app, 23.98 shooting with different color profiles and Eye-AF from their a7 series
  • meager battery, unfortunately

Remains to be seen if their post processing was fixed this time, Bionz X is being mentioned.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_1_10_10plus_l3_hands_on-review-1894p2.php

The thing will probably be very expensive, with limited availability, since Sony's mobile division is struggling.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I'm using my phones a lot for VR/3D and I will probably get the Samsung S10. The promise of 4k from the Sony was intriguing, but turns out it's  3840x1644 and not real 4k. It's still slightly more than the S10, but the limiting factor is the short edge of the display, and since 1440 is more standardized than 1644 I think I'll go with the Samsung anyway. The screen of my S8 has been amazing, but the new generation phones promises quite a lot better play-back capabilities.

Around the 16:00 mark some more background info...

Think I might want one, though. Looks pretty sweet. Even a shutter button under the index finger in landscape orientation by the looks of it. Will hold out to see what the P30 Pro is up to next month first (the P20 Pro is respectable for photography, a little overprocessed at times perhaps and video is rather bad than good), but otherwise, I think I might've found my next phone as I'm not really up to play guinea pig with those foldable phones that cost more than my ASUS ZenBook Flip.

Some interesting comments from Sony on how the Camera upgrade came about.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-xperia-phones-finally-getting-alpha-style-cameras-3666962

The knock-on effect was that Alpha guru Kimio Maki is now head of product development for Sony Mobile and actually stopped production on what would have been a Sony XZ3. “He said “okay, so we work with Alpha here, let’s take this bit, we work with the CineAlta brand, let’s bring this bit”. He opened up the whole of digital imaging for us.”

“Because that imaging team is all together, they can share that experience across Cybershot, Alpha and Xperia”, he added. Which sounds like a spectacularly sensible approach that should bear some tasty fruits for smartphone photographers.

Presumably this also means we’ll start to start more Alpha features flooding into Xperia phones? “It’s possible. If it’s software, it could be possible to bring it across. A closer collaboration with Alpha is a definite, thanks to the management change that’s happened in Tokyo with Mobile now belonging to Imaging.”

There have also previously been issues with interdepartmental rivalry stifling collaboration, Marsh admitted. “Even though we’re one company, there are still sometimes barriers that Alpha doesn’t want to give Mobile certain things, because all of a sudden you have the same as what a £3,000 camera’s got.

“Now that barrier’s gone a little bit. They’re saying “okay, we see that having a smartphone and camera that gives you the same experience is a good thing”, he added.

Seriously, the Alpha team is going to be sour about their software features used on a tiny smartphone sensor? That is really not their true competition. Maybe they could get some super fast and convenient HDR processing from smartphones in the know-how exchange and we'll all benefit from it. If they have had collaborated before, Sony's smartphone business could be doing a lot better.

Sony exec confirming that they previously had no access to their Alpha team know-how and that's why their smartphones never really wowed with their photo/video output:

https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-smartphone-cameras-quality-962358/

The product managers behind such a strategy should be heavily penalized or fired, since a tiny smartphone sensor should not be a threat to their Alpha line even if every possible software feature was available across their product line. So much wasted potential.

If Sony gets their HDR right and unlike previous models doesn't directly upload it online, this could be a winner. A good boost to dynamic range and bitrate wouldn't harm anyone either. ?

If the GH5s and PocketCinema 4k sensor can do 4k at 120fps 10-bit, there is no reason a smartphone sensor shouldn't have have 4k 240fps 10-bit. So instead of combining 2 frame, it could combine 3 or more for each and the detail, dynamic range and noise could be way better. 

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

If Sony gets their HDR right and unlike previous models doesn't directly upload it online, this could be a winner. A good boost to dynamic range and bitrate wouldn't harm anyone either. ?

If the GH5s and PocketCinema 4k sensor can do 4k at 120fps 10-bit, there is no reason a smartphone sensor shouldn't have have 4k 240fps 10-bit. So instead of combining 2 frame, it could combine 3 or more for each and the detail, dynamic range and noise could be way better. 

The reason is that current mobile phone sensor interface - MIPI, doesn't have near as much bandwidth/lanes compared to SLVS-EC.

Cool but its got a tiny sensor. Would be cool to have for casual use though.

I never really realized it until using full frame cameras but the lens selection is so much more versatile. Micro 4/3's sensor is pretty large in comparison to cell phone cameras, but even then its a drawback. 

Makes sense that phone tech should advance faster though, everyone uses a phone. 

Perhaps the mobile team can return the favor and create a competent touchscreen experience on the Alphas? More cross-department pollination benefits all of their customers. There's a huge void as none of the camera makers have been able to create a more fluid experience of navigating settings, menus, shooting, app integration and so on. All have major flaws that could be overcome by breaking down the silos of development that separate various divisions. Sony being Sony, it likely won't go much further than this phone.

Chris

On 3/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Cool but its got a tiny sensor. Would be cool to have for casual use though.

I never really realized it until using full frame cameras but the lens selection is so much more versatile. Micro 4/3's sensor is pretty large in comparison to cell phone cameras, but even then its a drawback. 

Makes sense that phone tech should advance faster though, everyone uses a phone. 

I think it’s easy to get hung up on the tools.  The convenience of the smartphone will triumph over the image quality of a dedicated camera much of the time. With advancements in sensor design, combined with machine learning supported by companies with deep pockets, we can be almost assured, that the next quantum leap will likely appear first in a mobile unit.

The “do everything” aspect of the smartphone is its ace in the hole. Smartphones are murdering the dedicated camera industry. That said, I would rather a bag of holes... than a drill. We need to remember the camera is merely a means to an end. The more convenient reaching that “end” is, the better.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:12 PM, Trek of Joy said:

Perhaps the mobile team can return the favor and create a competent touchscreen experience on the Alphas? More cross-department pollination benefits all of their customers. There's a huge void as none of the camera makers have been able to create a more fluid experience of navigating settings, menus, shooting, app integration and so on. All have major flaws that could be overcome by breaking down the silos of development that separate various divisions. Sony being Sony, it likely won't go much further than this phone.

Chris

You probably have never owned an NX camera. Still best touch interface, and ergonomics, in business.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, Cinegain said:

[..]

Think I might want one, though. Looks pretty sweet. Even a shutter button under the index finger in landscape orientation by the looks of it. Will hold out to see what the P30 Pro is up to next month first (the P20 Pro is respectable for photography, a little overprocessed at times perhaps and video is rather bad than good), but otherwise, I think I might've found my next phone as I'm not really up to play guinea pig with those foldable phones that cost more than my ASUS ZenBook Flip.

Seems like there's a glimps of that (my 'guess'):

Looks like the Xperia 1 is in for some video competition...

P30 Pro is rumored to have the same 40mpx sensor as and it has OIS, which is a great combination for stabilization - a lot of mpx for EIS and OIS so help physically.

However, I am having trouble believing all of these shots were done without a gumball, especially the telephoto shots.