Variable nds - flare characteristics and sharpness??

nsj_life

I generally hate using nd filters. I come from a photography background and they definitely degrade the image. The slr magic vari nd looks to not interfere with the image to much. Is anyone running that one? also any thoughts on the image enhancer?

Now that im getting into video I kind of have to start using them. I am wondering how they effect flares both veiling flare and flares from light source.?

Also is anyone running a vari nd in front of single focus like hcdna or vfd16a? How does this effect things?

I prefer maintaining sharp flares from a light source not so much veiling flare that washes out images. I just got the bolex and its a flare monster! It has a little to much veiling flare though. Should I be looking for a small mat box or lens hood for the bolex as well? best compact options?

Also, this might sound crazy but is anyone just shooting at a higher shutter speed, then adding blur in post? Are there any realistic looking solutions out these days? I have seen rsmb  but it doesn't  look that real to me. This would ideal because i shoot a lot of sports and being able to frame grab a sharp image would be nice.

Any input much appreciated! Just want to hear thoughts before i keep throwing into the money pit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This was all shot with SLR Magic II vari ND. It sucks almost as much as any other ND IMO and doesn't go dark enough to shoot shallow at 1/48th.

Flares are muted slightly, but not too much as to be a concern. The colours with that ND are wack though, it's all over the place (same as all other NDs I've had). I hate shooting with NDs, but high shutter speed also looks bad IMO. Reviews lead me to think this ND would be a lot better than it is.

I'm not sure what the answer is, I want to try the aurora aperture vari NDs.

I think your idea of frame grabbing a sharp image from a well produced film/video isn't realistic in my experience. I always do a seperate shoot for video and photo when I'm on the job. There's times it's possible that it looks sharp enough, but nothing I would count on.

damn, i was afraid of that answer. I already the trigger on the full set. Is it the color cast gradable in post? We'll see when it gets here i guess. these paid off youtubers are killing me. You never know whats really g anymore.

Sick footage! Is that taken from a boat or do you run your anamorphic in a water housing?

I have housing and plan to use it once i get my setup dialed

i guess just focus to infinity both lenses, pray and see what comes out sharp in the end.

is that the method?

I agree with you on the frame grabs but broke surfers want it all.

2 hours ago, nsj_life said:

damn, i was afraid of that answer. I already the trigger on the full set. Is it the color cast gradable in post? We'll see when it gets here i guess. these paid off youtubers are killing me. You never know whats really g anymore.

Sick footage! Is that taken from a boat or do you run your anamorphic in a water housing?

I have housing and plan to use it once i get my setup dialed

i guess just focus to infinity both lenses, pray and see what comes out sharp in the end.

is that the method?

I agree with you on the frame grabs but broke surfers want it all.

Yeah, it's kinda grade able in post. Be really careful of the orientation of the ND and it's better. Big issue for me was panning shots changing colour. This ND is still alright though, better than most, none are good.

It's all in a housing or just standing without. I use an Aquatech.

I focus to where I think the action will be most the time if in a housing. Just setting to infinity and stopping right down probably wouldn't turn out that great.

Broke surfers (like cheap ass Kiteboarding brands) need to know what's actually possible and what's not ;) . Stick it to them.