Fuji XT3 + Atomos Ninja V

MrSMW

48 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

and when hitting record on ninja then the xt3 will not record, you can record on both when using the fuji record button

This for one thing...

I can hit record on the Ninja and it will record that only and also hit record on the Fuji and that will also start recording, but just hit record on the Fuji and nada on the Ninja?

I will also take a look at that video, cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yep.

If camera output is set to 'standard camera' on the Ninja, I can switch the trigger setting on.

If it's set to Log/HDR and Fujifilm, I can switch it on, but hit record on the Fuji and it only records there and going back to the Ninja input settings, the trigger setting is switched back off?

6 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

try to set input instead of output ;)

That's where I am trying to set it?

The other thing that is frying my brain is that the camera is saying I have 74 minutes recording time on a 64GB SD card recording 4K but the Angelbird 500GB is only saying 2 minutes longer and 1 hour 16 minutes? Eh?

I have both set to record HLG.

I'm missing something here...

the xt3 records h265 which is compressed, the atomos records in whatever codec you asked for, so it can be way less thant 74 minutes, or more maybe if you choose the poorest quality

record in either prores or dnxhr

in the recording menu, upper left part of the screen where it says input, click on input and then in the menu go into trigger and set it to "on" and make sure source is set to hdmi

@thephoenix done that, repeatedly, but nope, still will not dual record from camera. Either unit on it's own or both manually, yes. Plus, no matter how many times I set it, come out of that screen and it's turned itself off again. It makes no sense.

I'm going to sleep on it but I think I'm going to pass on it.

On paper, it's all great and I'm sure for most other users, it's great.

But try as I may, I cannot get it set up right and on that basis, don't 'trust' it.

Too many other issues also such as:

1: It's heavier than my Feelworld monitor.

2: It chews through batteries at an unbelievable rate. OK, I only have the smallest of the Sony batts, but it munched through all 5 faster than I could recharge them. On the verge of pushing the button on one of the bigger jobs one reviewer said lasted him over 3 hours of continuous use, the Anton Bauer NP-F976 Sony L series Battery - 7.2V, 6600 mAh Lithium Ion Battery 47w/h if anyone is interested.

3: The XT3 likes to eat batteries which as we know are hardly the biggest/longest lasting and based on this mornings fiddling, ideally need to use my Anker powerpack to charge the camera which = more weight to lug around and on a typical 9-15 hour shoot...

4: I can claw back the 1k I spent on the Ninja, the SSD and the dock.

5: Was I unhappy with Fuji 1080 Eterna internal last year? No and I can shoot 4K Eterna internal this year and even Flog etc, just not in 10 bit.

If there was something like a 1 day workshop out there, I'd happily pay for that but I'm just not going to go out on my next paid shoot (coming up very soon) with gear I'm not fully familar with or isn't even set up right, no matter how good the footage is because if the footage is missing...

It's all a massive PITA but for whatever reason, it's just not working for me.

Weird, the Ninja now reads over 5 hours of recording time... well that is that one sorted at least, but still stuck on this dual record!

Camera is set: Page 4/5 Movie Settings: HDMI REC CONTROL (ON)

Ninja: Input page:

Source = HDMI, HDp59.94 2.0 HDMI Standard

Trigger = set to on (though switches itself off every time I come out of this screen)

Camera Output = LogHDR on and Fujifilm camera F-Log + Rec.709 + HDMI HDR Auto

No, not a stupid question, - willing to try anything!

No difference. As soon as I come out of that Input screen and press record on camera, camera recording works but Ninja does not unless I press record manually there also which suggest to me the cable(s) are good and on playback it all looks good.

Go back into Input however and trigger has been reset to off. Every time.

48 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Not a bad option. The internal recording is really good. Transcoding to prores in post is a bit of a pain but not that much. 

This is the thing.

I wanted to at least test the Ninja and see something that I could say was better by a quantifiable margin, but don't seem to be able to get that far.

However, in the process, discovered other issues that you can only discover through personal trial and error such as...

My Feelworld monitor with the same battery will last about an hour rather than less than 15 minutes. The 5 batteries I have will last an entire day as long as I don't have the thing running all the time. And I don't. Using the Ninja though would mean either buying some bigger batteries (more expense and more weight) or a charging point that some DJ or band won't come along and unplug so they can stick their crappy lasers in (that I will then refuse to video later as the last time I did that, they fried my XH1's sensor). Bastards.

Instead, use the Anker powerbank attached to the Smallrig cage and have camera power all day which is another potential issue. There's a limit to how many batteries I can and should be charging on a job. With this version, Feelworld and Anker for XT3, precisely none until I get back home.

And then there is the quality...

I shot some 4K Eterna today in bright sunlight back to back with HLG and then graded the two. The difference is diddly nothing IMO and it means if I choose to shoot Eterna which currently is my preferred option, I can do so at 160 ISO and not a minimum of 1000 which makes for less use of variable ND. Whether that has anything to do with anything, but a less noisy image at 160 than 1000 though nothing anyone would really notice.

I do need to test some bright sky backgrounds though, - 160 Eterna vs 1000 HLG... I'm not expecting much difference.

The moral of this story is (I hope) to just shoot internal Eterna and get the f*ck on with it and stop dicking around with evermore kit which only gets in the way!

21 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

This is the thing.

I wanted to at least test the Ninja and see something that I could say was better by a quantifiable margin, but don't seem to be able to get that far.

However, in the process, discovered other issues that you can only discover through personal trial and error such as...

My Feelworld monitor with the same battery will last about an hour rather than less than 15 minutes. The 5 batteries I have will last an entire day as long as I don't have the thing running all the time. And I don't. Using the Ninja though would mean either buying some bigger batteries (more expense and more weight) or a charging point that some DJ or band won't come along and unplug so they can stick their crappy lasers in (that I will then refuse to video later as the last time I did that, they fried my XH1's sensor). Bastards.

Instead, use the Anker powerbank attached to the Smallrig cage and have camera power all day which is another potential issue. There's a limit to how many batteries I can and should be charging on a job. With this version, Feelworld and Anker for XT3, precisely none until I get back home.

And then there is the quality...

I shot some 4K Eterna today in bright sunlight back to back with HLG and then graded the two. The difference is diddly nothing IMO and it means if I choose to shoot Eterna which currently is my preferred option, I can do so at 160 ISO and not a minimum of 1000 which makes for less use of variable ND. Whether that has anything to do with anything, but a less noisy image at 160 than 1000 though nothing anyone would really notice.

I do need to test some bright sky backgrounds though, - 160 Eterna vs 1000 HLG... I'm not expecting much difference.

The moral of this story is (I hope) to just shoot internal Eterna and get the f*ck on with it and stop dicking around with evermore kit which only gets in the way!

Thats the truth right there man! Precisely why atomos recorders are really off the table for me. I don't like having to carry and switch so many batteries. Its one of the many reasons I am sticking with the XT3. Internal 400mbps 10 bit is hard to beat in such a tiny package. 

Eterna is really nice as well. I think you will notice a difference when shooting in really tricky lighting situations though, Log or HLG will come out on top. In general though Eterna is more than enough.