JVC GYLS300 In 2019

Alt Shoo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Anaconda_thank you! I filmed mostly in 4k internally, with some shots externally to a Video Assist 4k in pro res. Some shots were in 2k and 1080 only because I had only one card on me and wanted to maximize the content gathering. 

As of now we are doing a screening tour along the eastern shore of the US. We are talking to major streaming services right now, but nothing is etched in stone. By January we will know our direction in that regard. 

The screen grab with the red hat is pro res and the other is the internal dci 4k codec. 

4A20C4B4-D1A5-4A18-9A66-BCD55CC78ED0.jpeg

BAAB5EA9-F628-4692-BA57-8DB0DDFED633.png

C1EAC81E-C4C2-46D3-8095-C83EE1B33F2D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is some more JVC GYLS300 footage. This is from another documentary that I had the wonderful opportunity to film! This is about the owner of the Comic Strip Live club in Manhattan. He’s known for managing Eddie Murphy and starting the careers of a lot of our contemporary comedians! Thanks to JVC for this still very wonderful tool! I’m definitely looking forward to their new line of cinema cameras. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 10:19 AM, Geoff CB said:

Now a more capable Shinobi for $499! With an addition like this it’s difficult for me to upgrade my cameras. I am still interested with the GFX 100 and would love to see a more cinema style camera with that sensor size. And by the way the film I shot with the JVC GYLS300 is finally published! https://www.Vimeo.com/ondemand/marcymade

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's awesome, congratulations!!

Great JVC have started trying to promote this camera... took a while.

I very appreciative of your congratulations! Hopefully this will reinvigorate this very capable company! To tell the truth I’m a big supporter of their tools and I want people to consider them a “name brand” in this cinema camera space! 

19 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Great JVC have started trying to promote this camera... took a while.

Only years and years too late!

Honestly if JVC wants to do a big big marketing pushing into this market segment then they need to do one of:

1) slash the RRP price of the JVC LS300 to sub $1K to make it truly appealing to potential buyers, honestly at US$2K it is a tough sell for the majority of buyers to seriously consider getting. (not when there are heaps and heaps of very very appealing brand new mirrorless cameras for around that price, or a secondhand Sony FS5 for that price) Perhaps they don't need to go as far as sub $1K, but definitely can't be higher than around US$1.5K

2) introduce an entirely new camera, a "LS400". Which should at least offer 10bit internal, plus a few other extra new bonuses (I of course would want to see Timecode Input on a new JVC camera, and with it positioning itself as a premium streaming camera it should have genlock too)

3) do all of the above!

• Super Members
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

2) introduce an entirely new camera, a "LS400". Which should at least offer 10bit internal, plus a few other extra new bonuses (I of course would want to see Timecode Input on a new JVC camera, and with it positioning itself as a premium streaming camera it should have genlock too)

Their new HC-500U has a pretty great spec for a £3K camcorder including 10bit 4K 4:2:2 internal, timecode in/out and a very smart caddy that holds an M.2 SSD to give you all flavours of ProRes up to 4K60p.

Its a shame its only a 1 inch sensor of course but it does augur well for if they do make an LS400 as JVC definitely do not possess a cripple hammer.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/specs.jsp?model_id=MDL102557&feature_id=03

• Super Members

Erm....well I did say it was a 1" camcorder so neither of those things exactly come as a shock but it wasn't the point anyway.

The point was to illustrate JVC's willingness to not skimp on spec or interfacing on a lower end product and include the two features you were requesting which was a positive indication if they made a successor to the LS300.

Which they likely won't make anyway so its probably moot.

Very Nice @Alt Shoo!

I think it depends on the responses JVC got on their camera survey they sent out a while back.

I suspect people wanted a larger sensor. 10-bit 4:2:2 internal ProRes recording and PDAF.

JVC seems very interested in delivery exactly what people want. Problem is...sometimes what people want is not what they buy. Go figure.

Thank you all! I’m truly grateful for your congratulations! It’s been a challenging two years balancing family life and grabbing footage, then trying to edit while your children run rampant around you. Also can’t forget my wife needs...... But it was worthwhile! Now I am kind of known in the industry and have been receiving requests from other “street legends” for me to tell their story. 

Regarding JVC’s new cameras, they have awesome specs and I’m tempting to try it out, but I’m not really a fan of cameras with small sensors like that. However I truly enjoy the concept of the M.2 drive used to capture Pro Res! It’s definitely forward thinking and super cost affordable. I am truly hopeful that they are developing a new cinema camera. Maybe we can email them and remind them about that survey they had a few months back asking what we want in a cinema camera. We can tell them that we’re ready for it! lol