JVC GYLS300 In 2019

Alt Shoo

49 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I always got the feeling about the LS300 that it was developed almost like a research project.

Like a small team were spun off from the main development team to see what they could do if JVC decided to have a new division alongside the ENG stuff.

I think that is why it has got a lot of innovative features in it because they were seeing where they could go with it and weren't restricted by having to fit it within the existing range.

I think thats also why it has got a lot of features added to it over its lifespan as it is a bit of a passion project for the spun off team and whoever their project sponsor is within JVC.

It reminds me of the Xerox PARC thing in a way so maybe another company will come along and incorporate the innovation into their own products and make more of a commercial success of them like Apple did in that instancr.

..or all that effort goes to "waste".

Imagine if the rumors back in 2015 were right and Nikon and Samsung were co-making a Nikon NX1 camera. 2019 would have happened 3 years earlier.

Still NX1 has the best ergonomics in business and just lost its title as the best pro APS-C camera just recently. 73min continuous recording years before the GH5, DIS+OIS years before the Canon similar system, super Amoled screens and - still in my opinion - best in business touch interface, first H265 implementation, still most megapixels in business, unique lenses ("unicorn" 16-50mm 2-2.8f OIS, very cheap and good pancakes, stelar native and tiny fisheye!), better 1080p than all crop Sony's (almost film like) and better 120f e.t.c

JVC was very close to deliver an MKii for 3.5-4.000$€£, a workhorse camera not available right now and we missed that opportunity! I do not want/and I can not afford to give 9000€ for a C200, nor 8 for an EVA, I do not believe they deserve that kind of money in this economy and this era.

P4K and EZ are in the right direction though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Still NX1 has the best ergonomics in business and just lost its title as the best pro APS-C camera just recently.

What/when do you reckon the Samsung NX1 lost its crown to? The Fujifilm X-T3?

20 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Imagine if the rumors back in 2015 were right and Nikon and Samsung were co-making a Nikon NX1 camera. 2019 would have happened 3 years earlier.

What a dream! Imagine simply if the D500 had the NX1 video horsepower. 

29 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

What if we all just harass JVC on social media until they listen? ?

I kinda feel like it's a good sign of they're still featuring the LS300 at promotional events... 

It’s so funny that I was literally thinking that same thing! If we just flooded the JVC Facebook page and ask for the updated GYLS300!!! Lol I’m serious. 

• Super Members

Obviously, they did some collaboration with Atomos to get the 4K60p added so I think that, at best, there might be some mileage there for pursuing ProRes RAW.

I did ask the question but even supposing it were capable of doing it there isn't anything in the offing as far as I understand.

They have surprised us before though so never say never.

Obivously I hope they do implemet a ProRes RAW compatible outpit, but since the LS300 has SDI, they didn't really have to wait for the Ninja V. Hasn't the Shogun Inferno been ready for RAW signals through SDI for almost a year now? I hope I'm wrong, but if they were planning it, I would have thought JVC would have released that update by now.

As you say though, they're a surprising bunch, so we should never say never.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Obivously I hope they do implemet a ProRes RAW compatible outpit, but since the LS300 has SDI, they didn't really have to wait for the Ninja V. Hasn't the Shogun Inferno been ready for RAW signals through SDI for almost a year now? I hope I'm wrong, but if they were planning it, I would have thought JVC would have released that update by now.

As you say though, they're a surprising bunch, so we should never say never.

The LS300 is HD only on SDI.

Whether that is hardware limited or software I actually don't know.

I'd imagine its the former though as I'd assume the 4K60p upgrade wouldn't have been HDMI only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Shooting some Superbike testing at the circuit today with the LS300 and his new best friend the Atomos Ninja V.

And in one fell swoop its achilles heel of abysmal monitoring is solved and 4K60p added without having to wrestle with the bigger recorders.

A very worthwhile upgrade for £550.

L1001917-02.thumb.jpeg.9bff2a0c5ba62d918a6b8b59682e41e7.jpeg

• Super Members

Those of you who follow me on Twitter (all one of you ;) ) may have seen me referring to developing a controller for the LS300 and other JVC cameras.

One thing that bugs me when recording externally with it it still having to use the fold out LCD display to see the current settings, which isn't ideally ergonomically but also its pretty difficult to see.

So here in all its taped up glory is my first mini-product for the LS300 which is a small wireless status display which shows current settings and can be mounted on a tripod handle, a gimbal handle, a rig or on the monitor itself.

And has a small switch in it tor remote start/stop recording.

LS300-1.thumb.jpg.a1ffec7166861e1b853ba5385c19387b.jpg

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Alt Shoo said:

Interesting! Does this interfere with any of its external video functions?

No it connects over wifi as per their web interface stuff.

Its actually going to form part of a far more elaborate controller for multiple JVC units so other versions will be able to more than just turn the record on and off ;) 

This was more of a solution to a personal pet peeve I have with it and as a proof of concept after, erm, figuring out how their web control worked.

• 6 months later...

The JVC Gyls300 is still very relevant and capable in 2019 and well beyond it! I just finished a culturally important urban documentary, that I’ve been working on for two years, titled ‘Marcy Made’, which 95 percent of it was filmed with the JVC! 

The documentary is about DeHaven Irby. DeHaven Irby for those who may not know, was a very good friend of Jay-Z and was the person responsible for bringing Jay-Z into the game. Jay is actually DeHaven’s daughter god father. Anyways they aren’t friends anymore and things have been said on both sides about one another. 

Their friendship ceased when DeHaven was sent to prison and Jay-Z left him there without any explanation of why. When DeHaven was released, he published a YouTube video in 2008, which went viral. In it he talked about a lot of issues with him and Jay, but wasn’t specific, so he left a bunch of questions unanswered. Jay-Z responded in one of his records, “So fuck DeHaven for caving, that’s why we don’t speak, Made men ain’t supposed to make statements!” In essence calling him a snitch...... This documentary answers all of those questions and shows that DeHaven isn’t a snitch. It also reveals the true reason behind their split. 

I had a screening of it this past Friday (9/27/2019) at Firelight Studio in Brooklyn, NY and these are just some pics of the venue’s screening room. I must say that the GYLS300’s image held up wonderful on the screen! I prefer a higher bit color rendition from a cinema camera, but the 8bit IQ coming from this sensor is still capable of competing! 

Heres the trailer for the documentary:

https://youtu.be/Gm1ug-Aa8TM

BDF40BA2-19B0-42FA-81B5-E88C176DC9DF.jpeg

46939F8D-E17B-4A7A-9525-5C243D21C65C.jpeg

51FB9A63-3E9B-43B7-90BD-CDC96BACCBA0.jpeg