JVC GYLS300 In 2019

Alt Shoo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 hours ago, kaylee said:

nice work, @Alt Shoo~! video looks good, not familiar with the camera tho... would you mind underscoring a few of its finer points, why you use it, etc...?

im super ignorant about options in cameras with that form factor!

Can't believe you've missed the subliminal advertising a few of us routinely do for it in a lot threads ;)

Headlines are

Super35 sensor

MFT Mount

Built in ND

4K60p to external recorder

Twin card slots

XLR on removeable handle so can be compact

Variable Scale Mapping which lets you use any lens coverage type (Super 16,MFT,APS-C) and it automatically scales it to full screen.

Prime Zoom function (operated from the rocker switch) which lets you zoom with a prime lens as though it was a zoom.

Live internet streaming.

Remote control with live view from a web browser so can be used from any phone, tablet or computer without an app.

Hardware switches for white balance memories etc.

Long battery life.

Abysmal, truly horrible, atrocious EVF

Decent run through here :

https://youtu.be/IEhW4lQdFps

4 hours ago, kaylee said:

nice work, @Alt Shoo~! video looks good, not familiar with the camera tho... would you mind underscoring a few of its finer points, why you use it, etc...?

im super ignorant about options in cameras with that form factor!

Thanks! I really thought I was not going to capture any decent footage. The young man was just too fast. Lol. 

Considering that I also fly a Panasonic Eva1 and a few other cameras, I just always seem to grab the Gyls300! I enjoy using it because it’s simple to use. Some of the things that make me grab it before the others is the battery life and the codec, which allows me to use humble SD cards.

These cards don’t have to be the fastest, yet I’m allowed to shoot DCI 4k! I also enjoy the VSM (variable scan mapping) feature, which essentially turns my primes into zooms, with no loss of quality. 

One of the features that I never worried about , but is now a de facto necessity for whatever camera I ever consider getting and that is the built in ND filter!

For this shoot I opted to film in HD 60p instead of the internal slow mo, to limit the crop and the loss of a stop. 

As I mentioned earlier I also own various cameras and the only reason I bought the Panasonic Eva1 is because it reminds me of the JVC, but with a more robust codec, which I intend to utilize only because the medium for which I’m releasing the project on requires it. If not for that fact, I would be using the Gyls300 all day!  Thanks again!

13 minutes ago, Alt Shoo said:

As I mentioned earlier I also own various cameras and the only reason I bought the Panasonic Eva1 is because it reminds me of the JVC, but with a more robust codec, which I intend to utilize only because the medium for which I’m releasing the project on requires it. If not for that fact, I would be using the Gyls300 all day!  Thanks again!

LS300 has broadcast ready codecs also, just to be fair, and to be fairer, the slow motion options are unusable in my opinion

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the differences and similarities of EVA vs LS300, that is a very interesting comparison and you are the first that can do it!

wow...... uhhhhmm this camera is really something. it does all KINDS of stuff ? im gonna look more into it. jvc was not on my radar, but i think this thing is pretty dope. any camera that can produce the color red (*cough*) is ok in my book~! it also seems to resolve a whopping amount of detail in a fairly pleasing way

@BTM_Pix thank you for the headlines, i read thru them, got to the end, and had this odd feeling... then i started again at the top

- Super 35 sensor

- MTF mount

...what tha heck??! ?

thankfully that video explained a bit, but im not sure i get how it all works.... pretty amazing tho~! i guess i just thought the m43 lenses wouldnt cover that sensor but... i guess they do? or close to it in some cases, and then you can use that digital crop feature? is that kinda right?

34 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

LS300 has broadcast ready codecs also, just to be fair, and to be fairer, the slow motion options are unusable in my opinion

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the differences and similarities of EVA vs LS300, that is a very interesting comparison and you are the first that can do it!

Yes I’m super aware that the Gyls300 has broadcast ready codecs, but the distribution network I’m using for the project I’m working on, requires certain requisites. 

The similarities of these cameras are of course the form factor, built in ND’s, manual buttons for camera settings, ease of use, very usable mic pre’s, image quality, crappy monitor lol and good battery life!

The differences are the codecs, lens mounts, VSM only on the Gyls300 and the type of storage for internal 4k DCI. For the Panasonic you need a very fast SD card to gain that option. 

18 minutes ago, kaylee said:

thankfully that video explained a bit, but im not sure i get how it all works.... pretty amazing tho~! i guess i just thought the m43 lenses wouldnt cover that sensor but... i guess they do? or close to it in some cases, and then you can use that digital crop feature? is that kinda right?

The MFT offers full coverage of the super 35 sensor and is the perfect mount to attach almost any type of lenses! If need be, you can also easily attach a microscope to it! Then use the VSM feature to adjust the image to prevent vignetting! 

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, kaylee said:

i guess i just thought the m43 lenses wouldnt cover that sensor but... i guess they do? or close to it in some cases, and then you can use that digital crop feature? is that kinda right?

The default setting for MFT lenses is 85% of the sensor so it zooms in by 15% to match the coverage.

However, you can override that because with a number of lenses you can actually get to 95-97% so your FOV with a wide angle lens is actually a bit wider than it would be on an MFT camera.

The flip side is that you could also set it to say 75% if you have an MFT lens that has less than stellar performance at the edges.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

does it have stabilization?what about autofocus, is it reliable?

Not internal but can power lens IS.

Autofocus is always a difficult question to answer for any camera as it is dependent upon a lot of factors, not least the lens itself.

Its fair to say that the LS300 doesn't have anywhere near the AF options that other cameras have but, again, it comes down to how good is good enough for what you want to use it for and I don't think anyone else could answer that other than yourself.

Suffice to say though, that "fantastic AF" is not the first thing that springs to mind when I think about the LS300.

One thing it does have in its favour is that you can map the focus controller to the zoom rockers which makes it very smooth to pull focus manually with AF lenses.

This video shows it doing AF with a lens with IS.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

ok what facilities offer for manual focus then?is there a way to rack focus? or focus assist?

Yes, that was the point I was making about the zoom rocker switch.

You can assign the focus control to it so that you don't have to touch the lens.

Yes, it has focus assist.

The user manual is here for your reference

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/4k/manual/GY-LS300EN.pdf

The LS300 is such a wonderful camera. I truly hope that JVC releases a successor, or that Panasonic takes the formula themselves if JVC doesn't. 

The VSM feature alone makes this camera absolutely incredible. Are there any other cameras that have it? I can't think of any off the top of my head. 

My biggest complaint, outside of build quality (which I understand, it's how they made it so affordable), is the low light and the auto focus. The auto focus isn't a deal breaker because I mostly use manual lenses with my LS300 but the low light isn't really much better than the M43 censors that are out. I was expecting better low light from a Super 35 sensor. 

26 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

The LS300 is such a wonderful camera. I truly hope that JVC releases a successor, or that Panasonic takes the formula themselves if JVC doesn't. 

The VSM feature alone makes this camera absolutely incredible. Are there any other cameras that have it? I can't think of any off the top of my head. 

My biggest complaint, outside of build quality (which I understand, it's how they made it so affordable), is the low light and the auto focus. The auto focus isn't a deal breaker because I mostly use manual lenses with my LS300 but the low light isn't really much better than the M43 censors that are out. I was expecting better low light from a Super 35 sensor. 

so what you use most gh5 or ls300? ls300 is really interesting tools. The best in the market as IDEA. Can t tell much about real use, a part the af not so good (as you state) and lack of stabilization