can't decide on a new camera

stefanocps

4 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

for what i have read 18 55 is a kit lens and it is really good, perhaps one of the best kit kens ever. it has ois and could be very useful for most situation. Then i know lens adpter can be used, surely for vintage ones, perhpas for m43 ones too, but not sure

I don't think you can just use any lens you please on them. There is very few native lenses that are worth a crap for video from any camera manufacturer. They all have click stops for Aperture, and short focus throws, and a lot of them are noisy as hell focus wise, and the focus, aperture rings are too close together on a lot of them..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Just asking, but isn't lens adaption sort of a problem for the Fuji cameras. I know it is no problem on the GH5.  The native lenses Fuji has are sort of weak for video as a whole. Photo, yeah they are great. Few with OIS, and kind of jumpy aperture control in them, something linked to the mechanical Aperture control?, and some pretty noisy when focusing?

Not in my experience...

I use the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with the Fringer Pro adapter on my XT3 and the face & eye autofocus is pretty zippy and accurate...and that's before the firmware update in I think April that makes it even more sprightly.

I don't use it for stills only video and think it's a great combo. Used it most of last year with an XH1 which was OK, but the XT3 has better AF.

Yeah it looks like they have all the major lenses covered. So I guess it boils down to if you want or don't want IBIS or use Anamorphic a lot, or unlimited recording, and longer battery life on the GH5. Yeah not an easy choice really. X-T3 a lot better Photo camera for sure..

I think for Hobby use the X-T3 is probably better, but for serious stuff the GH5 wins.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/fujifilm-x-mount

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah it looks like they have all the major lenses covered. So I guess it boils down to if you want or don't want IBIS or use Anamorphic a lot, or unlimited recording, and longer battery life on the GH5.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/fujifilm-x-mount

for what you write i reckon you prefer gh5! isn't it? :)

3 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

for what you write i reckon you prefer gh5! isn't it? :)

I think for Hobby use the X-T3 is probably better, but for serious stuff the GH5 wins. It also has that XLR thingy you put on the hot shoe. It is just a more Pro originated camera than the X-T3, but if I was traveling around the country just having a good time I would like the Fuji better I think.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think for Hobby use the X-T3 is probably better, but for serious stuff the GH5 wins. It also has that XLR thingy you put on the hot shoe. It is just a more Pro originated camera than the X-T3, but if I was traveling around the country just having a good time I would like the Fuji better I think.

i have kind of same impression, but i see professionals that work with xt3

I think one thing that lately Panasonic has done is Stupid is they have now a upgrade path, but, but they all have different mounts now. The L mount on the S1, S1R, EF mount on the EVA1, Varicam, but you can get a PL mount on one. So that is 3 different lens mounts now counting m4/3. I think that is kind of stupid, and the EF mount on the top end stuff is sort of stupid anyways to be honest. You can't adapt shit to an EF mount.

3 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i have kind of same impression, but i see professionals that work with xt3

Oh I am not saying you can't shoot good video on one, but it doesn't have all the tools you need to do it like the GH5 does. If you buy the XLR thingy you damn near have a Cine camera in you palm that has IBIS, good IBIS with a GH5.

I need to invest in a new camera ecosystem for work, and like the OP am torn between a GH5 or an XT3 as a starting point. 

I'll be using the camera to take promotional stills as well as create videos, upgrading from a Canon 650D which I inherited. However, I'm also looking at the camera being able to both record and live stream events and committee meetings, some running two to three hours in length.

Could I use an Atomos Ninja to extend the XT3 beyond the 30 minute recording limitation?

Would that also get round the problem with the XT3 cutting out at about 1hr20 due to overheating when recording 4K?

Can I connect a continuous power source so as to record past the 45 minute battery life?

During committees, will I be able to use the app to control the camera and record in anything beyond 720p?

The GH5 may look like the better option, but I do like the XT3's superior AF and the fact that video footage looks so good straight out of camera without the need for a lot of work in post.

Desk

7 minutes ago, Desk said:

I need to invest in a new camera ecosystem for work, and like the OP am torn between a GH5 or an XT3 as a starting point. 

I'll be using the camera to take promotional stills as well as create videos, upgrading from a Canon 650D which I inherited. However, I'm also looking at the camera being able to both record and live stream events and committee meetings, some running two to three hours in length.

Could I use an Atomos Ninja to extend the XT3 beyond the 30 minute recording limitation?

Would that also get round the problem with the XT3 cutting out at about 1hr20 due to overheating when recording 4K?

Can I connect a continuous power source so as to record past the 45 minute battery life?

During committees, will I be able to use the app to control the camera and record in anything beyond 720p?

The GH5 may look like the better option, but I do like the XT3's superior AF and the fact that video footage looks so good straight out of camera without the need for a lot of work in post.

Desk

Yes an external recorder would bypass the record limit and potential overheating. You can also connect an external power source either from the USB port or with a dummy battery. Right now the app only does 720p.

The GH5 would certainly be advantageous for longer recordings, at least a much smaller and compact setup.

The XT3 carries a large advantage for stills. If you mostly use a flash though the difference isn't so big.

The Fuji will eat the GH5 for breakfast in stills. Not to say that you can't get decent stills out of the GH5 but it's not its biggest strength. 

For video I still have to give the heads up to the GH5 though, especially for event shooting. Fuji is getting really close though. I think I'm the most excited to see where they're going out of every other company, though I'm very interested to see what Panasonic has in store with the GH6. Fuji though is in the same advantageous position that Nikon is in where they don't have to worry about protecting a cinema line, so they're pretty much free to do whatever they can.