can't decide on a new camera

stefanocps

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

right, but i don t understand, is the h265 that allow me that or is because the 10 bit recording is only in h265?

10 bit is the advantage 

H265 is a more efficient means of compression, though it really is only more efficient at lower bitrates from what I have heard. So its not really giving you an advantage with the XT3 recording 100, 200 or 400mbps. I would have preferred H264 10 bit like the GH5 or prores, even better.

10 hours ago, stefanocps said:

i found it at 1200 euro but i need at least to double it to use it.

Not at all true!
Just add on the Atomos Shogun, which is always going to be cheaper to buy secondhand than the FS700 itself is. 

6 hours ago, stefanocps said:

what is WUSS? No bmpcc for me, first beacuse it is complicated to use with all the addons it needs and last bat not least i don t want wait endllessy before getting it!

What is complicated about it? Nothing. 

It needs no more add ons than an a7S / a6500 / GH5 / etc would need at a minimum (i.e. just the normal stuff all cameras needs: media, lenses, and power). 

I need to invest in a new camera ecosystem for work, and like the OP am torn between a GH5 or an XT3 as a starting point. 

I'll be using the camera to take promotional stills as well as create videos, upgrading from a Canon 650D which I inherited. However, I'm also looking at the camera being able to both record and live stream events and committee meetings, some running two to three hours in length.

Could I use an Atomos Ninja to extend the XT3 beyond the 30 minute recording limitation?

Would that also get round the problem with the XT3 cutting out at about 1hr20 due to overheating when recording 4K?

Can I connect a continuous power source so as to record past the 45 minute battery life?

During committees, will I be able to use the app to control the camera and record in anything beyond 720p?

The GH5 may look like the better option, but I do like the XT3's superior AF and the fact that video footage looks so good straight out of camera without the need for a lot of work in post.

Desk

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not at all true!
Just add on the Atomos Shogun, which is always going to be cheaper to buy secondhand than the FS700 itself is. 

What is complicated about it? Nothing. 

It needs no more add ons than an a7S / a6500 / GH5 / etc would need at a minimum (i.e. just the normal stuff all cameras needs: media, lenses, and power). 

for what i read it must have an external monitor, an external power supply unit, then you have no autofocus...it can be used for planned situation but much more difficult for quick need and one man band,But the real issue(and also the biggest complication) is..how to get it? :)

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I always thought you had to have the Convergent Design 7q+ to take advantage of all the FS700 could output? And cheapest used one I have seen is 1100 dollars, and that is with either no SSD's, or small capacity ones. Main reason I have never bought one.

The Convergent Design recorder is the most fully featured option to maximize the FS700, but even a cheap cheapie original Atomos Shogun will still get you 4K 10bit 422 ProRess out of the FS700

3 hours ago, stefanocps said:

for what i read it must have an external monitor, an external power supply unit

You already have an external monitor with the Atomos Shogun
And you don't need an external power supply unit. You can use normal NP-F batteries

3 hours ago, stefanocps said:

then you have no autofocus

You could also say neither does your GH3 have that 

2 hours ago, Django said:

I dunno if buying a secondhand 7-year-old FS700 + used shogun is really worth it... just to get 4K 10 bit 422.. in 2019..

At that point might as well get a Z6 + Ninja V and get access to 4K 10bit + ProRes Raw.. and enjoy a compact FF camera with IBIS, strong AF etc..

Well you get internal NDs. You also get 4k RAW 120fps and HD 240 fps. Nothing touches this in the price range. The Zcam does 120 4k but not even in prores and it's a smaller sensor. That said it doesn't sound like the OP needs something as powerful as the FS700. I personally would want something more compact for doc work.

I used to do fast speed recordings (slow motion) for advertisement and I stopped because we didn't have enough work!

Since then, I shot one project with high speed recording (FS700, by the way), another at 100fps and nothing else!

I occasionally do 50f though, just in case.

I am not sure if 240f is a real selling point or just an empty spec.

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Well you get internal NDs. You also get 4k RAW 120fps and HD 240 fps. Nothing touches this in the price range. The Zcam does 120 4k but not even in prores and it's a smaller sensor. That said it doesn't sound like the OP needs something as powerful as the FS700. I personally would want something more compact for doc work.

Is is a matter of being compact yes, but also and first i would say it is a matter of budget. Body, lenses and recorder the price goes enough up to go beyond any possibilities of consideration. I would not mind considerate such a nice tool, or even the ls300 but the price go to far, almost the double than what i would need for a GH5 or XT3

On 2/27/2019 at 2:59 AM, Django said:

I dunno if buying a secondhand 7-year-old FS700 + used shogun is really worth it... just to get 4K 10 bit 422.. in 2019..

At that point might as well get a Z6 + Ninja V and get access to 4K 10bit + ProRes Raw.. and enjoy a compact FF camera with IBIS, strong AF etc..

If you're using adapted lenses, then AF doesn't matter. 
If you have support tools (easyrig/tripod/dolly/etc) then IBIS doesn't matter either (plus the extra hefty of the camera helps with stability)

I've just finished up several days of doing the sound for a film, and the DoP was shooting on an Arri Mini he owned. Am sure he wasn't worried about the lack of IBIS or AF when he purchased it a year and a half ago, or even today! (interestingly enough, his previous camera was a FS700! And before that a 5Dmk2)

22 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am not sure if 240f is a real selling point or just an empty spec.

For this DoP, he got a lot of work back in the day due to owning a FS700 that could do 240fps

21 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but doesn't all the sort of standout things the FS700 does is just in like 4 or 8 second bursts??

You can use end or mid trigger so that you still are capturing the perfect slices of moments in time :-) 

Just asking, but isn't lens adaption sort of a problem for the Fuji cameras. I know it is no problem on the GH5.  The native lenses Fuji has are sort of weak for video as a whole. Photo, yeah they are great. Few with OIS, and kind of jumpy aperture control in them, something linked to the mechanical Aperture control?, and some pretty noisy when focusing?

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Just asking, but isn't lens adaption sort of a problem for the Fuji cameras. I know it is no problem on the GH5.  The native lenses Fuji has are sort of weak for video as a whole. Photo, yeah they are great. Few with OIS, and kind of jumpy aperture control in them, something linked to the mechanical Aperture control?, and some pretty noisy when focusing?

for what i have read 18 55 is a kit lens and it is really good, perhaps one of the best kit kens ever. it has ois and could be very useful for most situation. Then i know lens adpter can be used, surely for vintage ones, perhpas for m43 ones too, but not sure