can't decide on a new camera

stefanocps

29 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

wow this FS700 seems amazing. I have a couple listed in second hand for 1300 euro. Can you tell me more about this videocamera?

haha yeah same. i was like fs700, thats a little out of my price ran–OH SNAP under $2k used now??!?! ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, kaylee said:

haha yeah same. i was like fs700, thats a little out of my price ran–OH SNAP under $2k used now??!?! ?

in my country there are now 2 at 1300, in a second hand magazine. But i fear we need to add at least the same amount to be ready to use it, for lens and recorder. So that go beyond the budget

2 hours ago, stefanocps said:

in my country there are now 2 at 1300, in a second hand magazine. But i fear we need to add at least the same amount to be ready to use it, for lens and recorder. So that go beyond the budget

Its a bigger camera so stabilization like gimbals will be a bit more expensive. Its got internal ND's which is a big plus. You need an external recorder to get 10 bit out of it. But it has the potential to do RAW 4K 120fps. 

I doubt the auto focus is very good if it has it. You could use Sony stabilized lenses, which are a good option. I don't think its the easiest camera to use and its on the bulky/awkward side. However internal ND's go a long way if you shoot outside.

10 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its a bigger camera so stabilization like gimbals will be a bit more expensive. Its got internal ND's which is a big plus. You need an external recorder to get 10 bit out of it. But it has the potential to do RAW 4K 120fps. 

I doubt the auto focus is very good if it has it. You could use Sony stabilized lenses, which are a good option. I don't think its the easiest camera to use and its on the bulky/awkward side. However internal ND's go a long way if you shoot outside.

yes it was a quick dream..not really suitable for my needs and budget

20 hours ago, stefanocps said:

wow this FS700 seems amazing. I have a couple listed in second hand for 1300 euro. Can you tell me more about this videocamera?

If you know about the Canon C300 mk1? It is the same vintage. (but the FS700 has aged a bit better, thanks to 4K) The FS700 was perhaps the 2nd most popular low/mid range videocamera after the C300 mk1, and the FS700 was the go to camera for any slow motion back then on a low budget. 

Of course lenses, i would go for a zomm lens to have it all in one, what lens would you suggest

No matter what camera you're buying on the planet, it is kinda a bad idea to only be buying *ONE LENS* for it!! :-o :-o 

Also i see it would need an externalrecorder. Which one will be needed? I fear all together the amount will rise enough above 3000 euro..

Secondhand original Atomos Shogun would be the cheapest way to go. 

Or wait for a mythical "Atomos Samurai V" to be announced! (which is kinda what I'm doing.... haha)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Sub $1.5K if you're lucky!

i found it at 1200 euro but i need at least to double it to use it. Would have been nice option though is quite far from the possibility of "fast use" that i am looking for

You can image i start my search thinkin i would have for a camcorder like panasonic HCX1 or Sony NX80, but little by little i realize that i would not live without the possibility of manipulating image and dof, all this creative part...

Just got to decide your first priority than second and make the choice from there. Hard to narrow it down. What feature would benefit you most shooting your docs? Or what held you back on the GH3? Sometimes you just gotta go with what feels right. These latest offerings from Fuji, Panasonic, Nikon, and even Sony are all great tools.

12 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

That's fascinating, I'll have to try it out to see whether I can replicate his results. I'm not really sure yet how mismatched Chroma resolution scaling can make the Luma artifacts that he points to as evidence out: "If you take a look around high contrast edges in a 4:2:0 encoded image you will see noticeable chroma artefacts, often appearing as a lighter or darker halo around the edge of objects." (emphasis added).

Anyway, seems like a potentially easier option is to edit in 4k (with proxies if needed), then do the YUV downscale after exporting.

I am a huge fan of the XT3. You mentioned the lack of IBIS is a downside. Could you afford a used gimbal on top of the XT3? Or would warp stabilizer work well enough for your purposes? It would be sketchy for walking shots (though to be fair, so would IBIS), but warp stabilizer can do wonders for a relatively steady handheld shot.

2 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

I am a huge fan of the XT3. You mentioned the lack of IBIS is a downside. Could you afford a used gimbal on top of the XT3? Or would warp stabilizer work well enough for your purposes? It would be sketchy for walking shots (though to be fair, so would IBIS), but warp stabilizer can do wonders for a relatively steady handheld shot.

Especially if the lens has OIS.

for what i have seen the 18 55 kit lens is really not to bad with its ois. Then i might add a gimbal later to use with my vintage lenses, but in general i use them totally in manual, that means on a tripod. So th stabilization part is no more a big point. Fuji has got aps c which is really interesting, while gh5 produce files that can be edited more easily than those in xt3. Also i like the much better battery life in gh5. Overall xt3 is more tempting to me than gh5. I have the idea that files it produces, without cc, cold be nicer than those produced without cc from gh5

1 minute ago, stefanocps said:

while gh5 produce files that can be edited more easily than those in xt3

That depends on your software and hardware. Resolve's performance with XT3 footage is significantly better than Premiere's performance with GH5 footage on my computer.

2 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

I have the idea that files produces, without cc, cold be nicer than those produced without cc from gh5

That is my opinion as well. Though to be fair my comparison comes from personally using an XT3 vs. editing projects shot by other people on a GH5.

6 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

for what i have seen the 18 55 kit lens is really not to bad with its ois. Then i might add a gimbal later to use with my vintage lenses, but in general i use them totally in manual, that means on a tripod. So th stabilization part is no more a big point. Fuji has got aps c which is really interesting, while gh5 produce files that can be edited more easily than those in xt3. Also i like the much better battery life in gh5. Overall xt3 is more tempting to me than gh5. I have the idea that files it produces, without cc, cold be nicer than those produced without cc from gh5

Yeah it definitely has great colors. Honestly the 10 bit H265 wouldn't be needed in a lot of situations. If you are dealing with a high contrast scene it helps , but for a lot of stuff its not really essential.