can't decide on a new camera

stefanocps

28 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

yes a7 iii is another option, dont know why tend to consider little all sony, there is something not reliable with them for me..don t know what..may be prices always high, lots of issues about heating that most of their camera suffer, image look great yes but seems something so delicate

A7III is cheaper than Z6 & EOS R. Their entry-level lens options are also more affordable. And overheating isn't much of an issue in their third generation bodies.

The 100mbps codec is a bit long in the tooth, color science an acquired taste, overall ergonomics and EVF/LCD aren't fantastic.

If you want most solid AF, SOOC IQ maybe also consider the new EOS RP. It's by far the cheapest FF option.

4K has a 1.6x APS-C crop which will give you more manageable DoF since that appeared to be one of your requirements.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Check the other recent thread too. "Mirrorless Camera for long form content". Similar advice there too.

Maybe the Panasonic FZ2000/2500 would be sufficient for what you do, which by the way, what do you do?!

Why do you need a new camera? Are you a professional? Do you do photos at all? Do you want to make short films/family videos/holidays/travel? Youtuber?

If you are a professional and you have a GH3 and can not budget for a Z6, then something is not right with your business model!

If you are doing mainly video, then the aforementioned FZ2000/2500 would be perfect, it is like a small video camera with build in ND filters, and great video options, and no need for another lens (it goes from 24-400, or something similar), because it doesn't seem that you can afford any lenses at all. Even Fuji and m43 ask 4 digit prices for their top workhorsw zooms (the Olympus 12-100mm is my favorite for m43).

Check the price of lenses, because if you want to have the best AF, you have to buy the top and newest lenses also, which are very expensive.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Check the other recent thread too. "Mirrorless Camera for long form content". Similar advice there too.

Maybe the Panasonic FZ2000/2500 would be sufficient for what you do, which by the way, what do you do?!

Why do you need a new camera? Are you a professional? Do you do photos at all? Do you want to make short films/family videos/holidays/travel? Youtuber?

If you are a professional and you have a GH3 and can not budget for a Z6, then something is not right with your business model!

If you are doing mainly video, then the aforementioned FZ2000/2500 would be perfect, it is like a small video camera with build in ND filters, and great video options, and no need for another lens (it goes from 24-400, or something similar), because it doesn't seem that you can afford any lenses at all. Even Fuji and m43 ask 4 digit prices for their top workhorsw zooms (the Olympus 12-100mm is my favorite for m43).

Check the price of lenses, because if you want to have the best AF, you have to buy the top and newest lenses also, which are very expensive.

what i do at the most is docufilm, documentary, which i send to festival. No money from them, at least till now. Sometimes i do some short film, still for pleasure, sometimes it happens i have some paid job for small promotional video

So that said i am not ready to spend a lots of money, but i still want a nice tool that give me excitment in using it, because this is part of the creativity. I could reach a budget up to a z6 with kit lens,may be a used one.. but i could not add anything else for a while. So till 2000 euro i can go,

what i need more is the ability to work on my own in a fast way.And also to have possibility to work on image, dof and some color correction

An handycam coul be something that fit but geerally there is little control over the image. So the idea is to get a camera that is more similar to an handycam in term of fast use. A the same time i can have mnore control whne i need to to planned shot

2 hours ago, stefanocps said:

Z6 is the more expensivce (well above GH5 not exactly the same as @IronFilm said) look very good at all but it needs ATOMOS to have 422, also it does not have 60p (or it has it in hdmi recording?).Again @IronFilm said that Atomos is Cheap but i see it at over 700 euro...that is not cheap

The Atomos Ninja V is the cheapest 4K recorder on the market. 

And the Z6 and GH5 are technically the same price (heh, the Z6 is even a buck cheaper) when you look at their full prices for each: $1,997.99 vs $1,996.95

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283257-REG/panasonic_dmc_gh5_mirrorless_micro_four.html?sts=pi

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431706-REG/nikon_1595_z6_mirrorless_digital_camera.html?sts=pi

The big difference though is that the GH5 is quite often on sale with a discount, for instance right now (expiring at midnight however!) being offered with a $400 saving by B&H

2 hours ago, Django said:

Nikon Z only have 3 native lenses at the moment. Also if you wanna shoot log you have to go external (at which point AF becomes unreliable).

If you are going FF mirrorless and need IBIS, i'd recommend A7III. Plenty of native lens options, great AF, internal log. It's a quite good all-rounder.

IBIS however is much better in the Nikon Z cameras than in Sonys. 
Plus Nikon have a massive massive range of Nikon F mount lenses which work great with Nikon's adapter. 

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The Atomos Ninja V is the cheapest 4K recorder on the market. 

And the Z6 and GH5 are technically the same price (heh, the Z6 is even a buck cheaper) when you look at their full prices for each: $1,997.99 vs $1,996.95

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283257-REG/panasonic_dmc_gh5_mirrorless_micro_four.html?sts=pi

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431706-REG/nikon_1595_z6_mirrorless_digital_camera.html?sts=pi

The big difference though is that the GH5 is quite often on sale with a discount, for instance right now (expiring at midnight however!) being offered with a $400 saving by B&H

it all depends on personal evaluation of money!

Z6 and Gh5 have around 500 euro difference, at least in europe where i live. With possibility to get GH5 at a lower price and also used one. But at least there are 500/600 euro difference. Which is something less than the cost of a Ninjia, whic even if it is cheapest in the market it is still worthy around 700 euo. Which is a big amount, for me. Eventually if you put the 500 more between z6 and gh5 and 700 for atomos, then you get an amount which worth a camera!.

That said Z6 could be still considered for buying as it seems a great camera, but we can t tell that has the same cost of gh5, unless 600 euro for you is nothing! :)

2 hours ago, Django said:

Advice is a little all over the place. People here tend to obsess over camera bodies but my first question would be what lenses do you own?

But I do agree with this in general. 
If the OP already has lots of MFT lenses for his GH3 (I'd hope he does!), then getting a GH5 is a no brainer! 

1 hour ago, Django said:

A7III is cheaper than Z6 & EOS R. Their entry-level lens options are also more affordable. And overheating isn't much of an issue in their third generation bodies.

a7 mk3 and Nikon Z6 are identical in price on B&H right now
Also the Sonys, even the 3rd generation bodies, are still overheating. I've run into this issue on set beforehand with the newer Sonys as well. 

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

But I do agree with this in general. 
If the OP already has lots of MFT lenses for his GH3 (I'd hope he does!), then getting a GH5 is a no brainer! 

i got 2 general lumix lenses 14-42 and 45 175. Plus i have a bunch of vintage lenses, from MInolta Rokkor, and few from olympus and canon, but these could be used in other camera also, sint' it? So i really have 2 lumix lenses, and not the best. For what i have read for example Both Fuji and Nikon have a kit lenses that are supposed to be much better than those Lumix Kit lenses i own

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

THIS

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

THIS

Your AF performance relies very heavily not just on the camera body used, but also depends a lot on the particular lenses used. 

After all been said, a GH5 (maybe slightly used) or the FZ2000/2500 are the best solutions.

Consider that the FZ is a full featured video camera (I repeat, internal ND!) that you do not have to spend not even another euro for it (maybe batteries, but this apply to everything). No external ND filter (the ok ones cost at least 200€), no lenses, no external recorder, not anything.

If you can afford the GH5, you can achieve great things and is a dependable professional video tool.

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

An handycam coul be something that fit but geerally there is little control over the image. So the idea is to get a camera that is more similar to an handycam in term of fast use. A the same time i can have mnore control whne i need to to planned shot

If you've got some MFT lenses and some vintage ones and want a camcorder form factor then I'm going to pimp the JVC LS300 again !

Super35 sensor, built in ND's, XLRs and on and on.

It might actually be a sweet spot for you.

Latest love letter thread to it is here 

Video overview of it here

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

After all been said, a GH5 (maybe slightly used) or the FZ2000/2500 are the best solutions.

Consider that the FZ is a full featured video camera (I repeat, internal ND!) that you do not have to spend not even another euro for it (maybe batteries, but this apply to everything). No external ND filter (the ok ones cost at least 200€), no lenses, no external recorder, not anything.

If you can afford the GH5, you can achieve great things and is a dependable professional video tool.

fz2000 looks like that acamcorder i had thought about, perhaps will have same unreliable focus as panasonic have, and little control on dof, not a great image then? don t know havent checke any test yet. GH5 is for sure a good point, also for price, and  at that range only XT3 could compete

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you've got some MFT lenses and some vintage ones and want a camcorder form factor then I'm going to pimp the JVC LS300 again !

Super35 sensor, built in ND's, XLRs and on and on.

It might actually be a sweet spot for you.

Latest love letter thread to it is here 

I have thought about LS300 that  it is a real interesting camera.

But the question, as you posted as well, is how worthy is buyng an old technology today?

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

I have thought about LS300 that  it is a real interesting camera.

But the question, as you posted as well, is how worthy is buyng an old technology today?

I think it is slightly different when looking at the LS300 in that respect versus looking at say the X-H1 and wondering if the X-H2 is just about to be released.

Currently you can get a used LS300 from here (no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer) for £1309.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-video-cameras/jvc-gy-ls300-4k-camcorder/sku-765591/

If you pair that with a Ninja V then for around £1800 you will take care of the crappy monitoring situation with the LS300, add 4K60p recording and ProRes.

I can't think of any camera that is going to match that spec and ease of use for a one man band for anywhere near that price.

If JVC bring out a new version of the LS300 at NAB, for example, then it will be many multiples of that price.

Though if you only need HD and aren't particularly married to you MFT lenses then this is also a solid choice

5 minutes ago, Django said:

For one man band docu/short film i'd also consider C100 DPAF/Mk2. 4K S35 sensor that records in FHD, ND filters, Dual Pixel AF, XLRs, all-day battery, EF or EF-S lenses..

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think it is slightly different when looking at the LS300 in that respect versus looking at say the X-H1 and wondering if the X-H2 is just about to be released.

Currently you can get a used LS300 from here (no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer) for £1309.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-video-cameras/jvc-gy-ls300-4k-camcorder/sku-765591/

If you pair that with a Ninja V then for around £1800 you will take care of the crappy monitoring situation with the LS300, add 4K60p recording and ProRes.

I can't think of any camera that is going to match that spec and ease of use for a one man band for anywhere near that price.

If JVC bring out a new version of the LS300 at NAB, for example, then it will be many multiples of that price.

Though if you only need HD and aren't particularly married to you MFT lenses then this is also a solid choice

c100 is well above my budget, can t consider it. 4k is a must, not because i deliver at 4k but for the cropping possibility that expand a lot the possibility when editing

3 hours ago, stefanocps said:

c100 is well above my budget, can t consider it. 4k is a must, not because i deliver at 4k but for the cropping possibility that expand a lot the possibility when editing

Whats your budget including lenses? 

I'd still say the Z6 is the best option out there all around. 

Keep in mind longer lenses like he 45-175 on M43 are like 90-350. On full frame you don't get that long range. So M43 has that benefit. Lenses are also smaller. Imagine the size of a 90-350 on full frame. Consider that as well. Do you mind hauling around a bigger system for doc work? 

The GH5 is hard to beat for run and gun, great IBIS and great lens options. Not great in low light, though with fast lenses it can be. The 25mm .95 is a great option, though for wider stuff you have to pay a lot. 

54 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

that is why i try to go for a camera with a usable kit lens

Yeah I usually get lenses separate as they often charge more for the kit lens than I can get it used, if I get the kit lens at all. But I am in the US so may not be the same where you live. 

Gotta weigh your options man. Its hard to know what is beneficial without using it. I had the GH5 for a while only to find IBIS wasn't that important to me.