Autofocus (Af-c) using Anamorphot 40

ultra909

Probably not relevant to pro video shooters, but technology doesn't stay place. A7iii has a pretty decent eye/face AF-C tracking, not mention the recent A6400.

I've purchased A7iii guide from DSLR video shooter. Please don't consider it as advertising as most of people here are aware of all what is explained in the course, just on example of a certain camera model. 

Apparently I can't upload any parts of that video course, but in one part Caleb Pike explains how he shoots video with A7iii, Anamorphot 40 compact and AF lenses.

Yes, that's dual focus solution but it really works: taking lens continuously tracks faces/subject in AF-C mode while manually adjust front/near on the anamorphic adapter. Pretty fast and working solution making small adjustments on the adapter, i.e. more to closer or to infinity and taking lens refocuses itself.

Has anyone tried that and can confirm that works?

I've got a rangefinder and can't say it is for everyone. Is also not for every lens and working with it requires follow focus in almost any cases as the rotation range is wide. 

I'm talking about more run-n-gun shooting situations, not a pro set in any case. However have to admit I prefer using AF-C lenses to track faces instead using follow focus solution. 

In the end, SLR magic wrote in initial press release when announcing Anamorphot40 that it is suitable to work with autofocus:

http://www.slrmagic.info/article/SLR+Magic+is+proud+to+announce+the+SLR+Magic+Anamorphot+1%2C33x+–+40+(Compact)+adapter

Any thoughts on that? 

Also any advice on compatible lenses with Anamorphot 40? I mean of course everyone has Helios44m and some other set of manual glass incl. SLR micro primes itself. But with AF that would be totally different choise of glass. Sony FE55 1.8 seems will pair well

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, pureaxis said:

I used AF wit the FE28-70mm on the A6500 (full coverage with the 40-compact), it works well most of the time but not always especially at close focus and longer focal length

that's great to hear, especially I can use then my kit 28-70 lens in super35 mode. thank you!

What's described in the first post sounds pretty pointless if I understood it correctly. If you have to focus anyway while the camera also autofocuses, then why not just use a single focus lens? I could see this weird dual auto focus setup just creating problems. 

Easiest way to shoot with AF is just to put a 1.33x adapter on an AF lens.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:05 AM, tweak said:

What's described in the first post sounds pretty pointless if I understood it correctly. If you have to focus anyway while the camera also autofocuses, then why not just use a single focus lens? I could see this weird dual auto focus setup just creating problems. 

Easiest way to shoot with AF is just to put a 1.33x adapter on an AF lens.

that may sound as weird dual focus system, but basically is a single half-focus solution while depending on distance to the subject you adjust near/front on the anamorphic adapter while the lens tracks objects/faces automatically. may that sound weird?

17 hours ago, ultra909 said:

that may sound as weird dual focus system, but basically is a single half-focus solution while depending on distance to the subject you adjust near/front on the anamorphic adapter while the lens tracks objects/faces automatically. may that sound weird?

Maybe I  just read too much into what you were asking/saying. 

Are you asking:
Will 40 compact 1.33x lens work with AF-c?

If so, then yes. All 1.33x lenses will typically work with autofocus as long as you are not trying to focus too close.

4 hours ago, tweak said:

Maybe I  just read too much into what you were asking/saying. 

Are you asking:
Will 40 compact 1.33x lens work with AF-c?

If so, then yes. All 1.33x lenses will typically work with autofocus as long as you are not trying to focus too close.

thank you. that's what I would like to know. 

for close focus I can get a few diopters which are cheap for 62mm

Topic update: 

I've received Anamorphot 40 compact today. Really love the construction and short normal-near focusing ring. Works great with my Sony 28-70 kit lens as follows: in super35 mode full coverage over whole zoom range, so let's say 42 to 105 mm (ff equivalent). In full-frame mode without vignetting same lens works in the range starting from approx. 38mm to 70mm.

Therefore it becomes clear that 40mm pancakes (Pentax, Canon) are the best and widest adapting lenses for that combo.

Flares are blue but pretty decent and not so 'screaming' of anamorphic all over screen. SLR's Rangefinder for example has very blue flares.

With my kit 28-70 lens I have AF-C and image stabilization (lens costs 150 USD) and really don't need to get expensive Sony/Zeiss FE 55 1.8 right now as in any case I would have to stop it down to same values as shooting wide open with kit lens. I'm also happy as I can spend that money for the gimbal :)

Also with that 28-70 kit lens with maximum zoom at 70mm in Super35 mode I get roughly 105mm  ff equivalent and with NEAR position on Anamorphot 40 minimal focus distance is a bit less than 40mm (~1.5"). So I don't really need a close-up diopters (although I already ordered a set of non-achromatic ones, single lens).

So far, that's the most compact anamorphic setup I've ever dreamed of and I'm happy with it. 

IMG-2736.JPG