Komputer Bay card testing dilemma CF and SD 1000x/600x

Brellivids

Dear forum members.

I have a problem on how to verify my new Komputerbay 1000x(32GB) cards writespeed.

I do not have the 5DIII so that I could use the built in benchmark
but I do have Lexar USB 3 CF card reader and 5DII (it is my understanding that the 5DII is speed limited)

Testing methodology:
Lexar USB 3 card reader connected via USB 3 port.
Software H2testw 1.4 (Which seems to be a reasonable card speed testing program).

Result:
I get only 61.5 MB/s write speed with my Komputer Bay card

So while I have no way of knowing how high is the Card reader is able to write in the first place
to know for sure that I'm not limited by the reader.
Does anyone have the said reader and experience in it's write speed?

The Lexar card reader product page says it's UDM7. So I suppose the card reader is not at
it's limit while writing that ~61.5 MB/s
http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-reader?category=203

A secondary observation about SD Komputer Bay SD-cards. I bought Komputer Bay 64GB 600x SD cards.

The card says 90MB/s read / 40MB/s write speed.

The above meantioned program (H2testw) gives a write speed of about 32-35MB/s for those. While tested on the Lexar USB3 reader.

The problem i'm facing with those cards is A dritfwood hacked GH2 says the card is too slow for recording
at HI mode. The low mode works which is about half of the data rate. Would anyone have any input
on this problem? I am some what familiar about the GH 2 hacks limitations but I*m quite NOOB. Cosidering the datarate at the HI mode should be inside the 32MB/s range.

The card testing software if anyone is interested.
http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a related question, actually.

I just received a KomputerBay 64 Gb 100x card and wanted to benchmark it.

I've used my FW800 adapter, but obviously the limitation is the FW in that case.

Is there another way to benchmark the speed of these cards that I've been missing?

Perhaps benchmark tool internal to ML that I could run through my 5dm3? (I haven't installed ML yet, as I just received the card).

Appreciate any advice on this issue.

Perhaps benchmark tool internal to ML that I could run through my 5dm3? (I haven't installed ML yet, as I just received the card).

Appreciate any advice on this issue.

It is my understanding that if you have the 5DMK3 you can benchmark the card in the camera once you have the ML + Raw stuff installed. 

Regardless of the matter I really like the Lexar USB 3 card reader .. I paid a heafty sum for it in the days It was likely the first ever sold in Finland. Costed me ~60-70 euros and Amazon.de now sells them at about 22 euros. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read in order to get a reliable indiction of whether your CF is up to scratch you must perform the test with Live view on in Movie mode. 

I have tried performing the test but the screen turns black (power saving mode) and live view switches off. Is the test still going on??

Also when I open the CF card I get a Bench.TMP file. - Does anyone know how to open this on Mac? 

EDIT: Figured this out. I had to disable auto-power off in setup menu 1.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I bought a Komputer bay x1000 128 gig card. but I couldn´t make it bootable to use ML or even update canon firmware. According to many ML member, those card they aren´t reliables! I m sending back my card and asking for a smaller one: 64 gig version. To be honnest I bought this card after reading Andrew review,  but when I received and tryed to install ML nothing happens. 

Please be care with this card!

from ML forum:

xx.gif
5D Mark II and 128GB Komputer Bay Card
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »

the early releases of this card capacity had issues with its firmware. They have fixed it and you should be able to have it replaced. 
I tested the 128gig 1000x I have with firmware that's compatible with the 5DmkII and its ok now.

The 1050x won't work with the the mkii and 7D that i tested it with. The 1000X with changed firmware now works with the mkII.

Supported 1000x CF cards for continuous RAW recording
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »

I'm on my 4th 64 GB 1000x card from KB.   angry.gif  I am going to return it.  Not worth the hassle!  Shit-- ruined a shoot and my name!
Yeah, it just did the same as the others-- crashed  BEWARE! 
PressureFM
  • New to the forum
  • star.gif
xx.gif
Supported 1000x CF cards for continuous RAW recording
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »

I'm on my 4th 64 GB 1000x card from KB.   angry.gif  I am going to return it.  Not worth the hassle!  Shit-- ruined a shoot and my name!
Yeah, it just did the same as the others-- crashed  BEWARE!