NAB 2019 Predictions and Wishes

currensheldon

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Django said:

I think they will be milking this camera for another year or two (or until the competition offers better).. who else even has 4K RAW 120fps on their roadmap?

Only Red currently i can think of..

Z Cam E2 already does this. 

I've been putting some thought into this, and I'm thinking this might be a slow year for the major camera companies as they all focus on their new Full Frame mirrorless offerings. I think the most interesting announcements this year might come from some of the smaller companies. From the big dogs, maybe we'll get a true G85 successor announced, giving us a preview of what to expect in a GH6? 

I expect more info on the GH6, and even the A7Siii to start trickling out towards the end of the year instead of NAB. 

I think we'll see more budget gear announced from some of the larger companies, re: lighting, monitors, mics, etc. Atomos coming out with a lower priced monitor I think is an example that those companies are starting to take note of the budget offerings that are out there. The quality and price is hard to ignore.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:25 PM, newfoundmass said:

I've been putting some thought into this, and I'm thinking this might be a slow year for the major camera companies as they all focus on their new Full Frame mirrorless offerings. I think the most interesting announcements this year might come from some of the smaller companies. From the big dogs, maybe we'll get a true G85 successor announced, giving us a preview of what to expect in a GH6? 

I expect more info on the GH6, and even the A7Siii to start trickling out towards the end of the year instead of NAB. 

I think we'll see more budget gear announced from some of the larger companies, re: lighting, monitors, mics, etc. Atomos coming out with a lower priced monitor I think is an example that those companies are starting to take note of the budget offerings that are out there. The quality and price is hard to ignore.

You might be right, but we haven't really had a major sub $20k video camera announcement since C200/EVA-1, so it's definitely been awhile.

It seems like so much progress has been made in codecs (BM Raw, ProRes Raw, H265) and mirrorless tech (X-T3, S1) that it would be prime time to release some great sub $10k video cameras. 

• 1 month later...

With NAB now RIGHT around the corner, thought I would fire this thread back up. 

Canon - Looks like Canon may not have a big camera update, but instead update the C200 with that middle codec and add external raw to the EOS R - both of which are fine by me. Hoping they go the route of Black Magic and add a couple more compression levels to their Raw Lite (which is close to 3:1, I believe). 8:1 and 12:1 would be huge and would instantly make the C200 even more incredible. Currently the file sizes are just too massive for so much of the work I do. 

Panasonic - Not much in the rumor mill. I'd guess a price and release date for their 10-25mm f1.7 and maybe a GH6 development announcement. Hoping for an EVA-2 or another cinema camera with L-Mount in the $4-6k range. A mini EVA. 

Black Magic - Their big announcement (G2) has been announced. Hoping for an update to their external recorders and same partnerships as Atomos so we can record Black Magic raw out of mirrorless cameras rather than ProRes Raw.

Atomos - Have had a flurry of announcements the last couple of months, but maybe they're saving something very cool for NAB. Hoping a 4K Ninja Star recorder so we don't have to slap a big monitor that eats batteries on our mirrorless cams. 

--

Could be an exciting year for mirrorless updates and raw recording. Not really expecting many big cinema camera announcements, but we'll see. 

4 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Atomos - Have had a flurry of announcements the last couple of months, but maybe they're saving something very cool for NAB. Hoping a 4K Ninja Star recorder so we don't have to slap a big monitor that eats batteries on our mirrorless cams. 

I always thought that they removed the Star in order to force people to buy the larger (more expensive) recorders and that they could do that because they were really the only game in town for RAW/prores at this price point, and that anyone who wanted those codecs would want them badly enough to just go along with it.  However, now there are lots of cameras doing these things internally they have less of a monopoly on these maybe there will be some incentive for them to re-release that lower-end option.

I know it would make a bunch of people happy.

2 hours ago, kye said:

I always thought that they removed the Star in order to force people to buy the larger (more expensive) recorders and that they could do that because they were really the only game in town for RAW/prores at this price point, and that anyone who wanted those codecs would want them badly enough to just go along with it.  However, now there are lots of cameras doing these things internally they have less of a monopoly on these maybe there will be some incentive for them to re-release that lower-end option.

I know it would make a bunch of people happy.

Yea that could be.

The weird thing is, I would easily pay more for a 4K Ninja Star recorder that hs the Ninja V recording options than fo the Ninja V itself. Having a monitor is nice, but I just don't have enough trouble shooting with the GH5 or EOS R screen to make the extra bulk and the 3-4 giant batteries I need to carry around with me, charge every night, etc worth it.

But I would pay good money (more than what the Ninja V is going for) to JUST have the recording options and no monitor. Just a small mount on the side of a cage that would still keep the general footprint small and the power draw would probably be close to 5 watts/hour instead of 20-25. 

12 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Panasonic - Not much in the rumor mill. I'd guess a price and release date for their 10-25mm f1.7 and maybe a GH6 development announcement. Hoping for an EVA-2 or another cinema camera with L-Mount in the $4-6k range. A mini EVA. 

Given up hope for an EVA1 MFT, my next best hope is for a EVA2 with L Mount. 

But I reckon EVA1 is still a little too new to see an EVA2 this year. 

My prediction:

Sound Devices - will announce an "8xx" series recorder (likely to compete against the attacks coming from the new Deva 24 and Cantar X3). 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Given up hope for an EVA1 MFT, my next best hope is for a EVA2 with L Mount. 

But I reckon EVA1 is still a little too new to see an EVA2 this year. 

My prediction:

Sound Devices - will announce an "8xx" series recorder (likely to compete against the attacks coming from the new Deva 24 and Cantar X3). 

How an L mount benefit you, or most of us? M43 is another story.

The fact that most of you asking for an external recorder puts the Pocket 4K and all the recording options it offers in perspective.

As I said before, you are buying an external record and a whole editing and post production suite plus getting a free camera with a very adaptable and good high ISO sensor!

I am holding my P4K order until NAB, just in case; for what I do, an XC type camera with broadcast quality video is enough for me, is anyone going to deliver a great S35/m43 video camera with broadcast quality for less than 5000? If not, then P4K it is. 

Z S35 sounds amazing but it isn't a real product yet and I have to up my game a little at 2019.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Give you a shallow base mount to adapt anything you like, unlike EF mount. 

It certainly doesn't lack adapter options.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=3420&fct=fct_camera-body-mount_1595|leica-l&N=4077634486

Ironically, not to mention infuriatingly, the Leica cameras that actually first featured the mount have been software locked out of the latest goodness offered by the Sigma MC21 EF and SA adapters AND the Panasonic L mount lenses.