NAB 2019 Predictions and Wishes

currensheldon

A lot of people are shooting in HD (as I do from time to time depending on the job), but 4K is the standard for many streaming services and commercial work now.

So at this point I think all manufacturers need to focus on providing quality 4K with required broadcast/streaming specs (10-bit 422) in their next $5-10k models. Most already have this in some of their models (Panasonic, Black Magic, Canon C300II and Sony FS7), but it really does need to be in all future cinema cameras (CANON). With that said, the other big advancements for new models that I see happening at NAB this year would be higher frame rates (96-120fps in 4K) and internal raw. I'm guessing Sony or Panasonic will get there first, so I'd guess the FS7 will give us a higher frame rate option this year sometime. Hopefully Black Magic does release a new external recorder (5" or smaller would be my hope) to capture BM Raw, but if manufacturers could offer it internally, even better. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Xx123456xX said:

I hope that exact cinema 24fps and its multiples (48fps, 120fps, etc.) become standard on any future cameras. Also, I would like more cameras to start featuring less common resolutions (such as 1440p) if their sensors and processors can handle their highest framerates and codecs at a resolution higher than 1080p.

Though I am certainly anticipating some new hardware revisions, I hope that there will be some new firmware for existing products.

Just curious but why is 48p so much different to 60p?  One is 50% speed and the other is 40% speed when slowed to 24p.  Does that make a difference in many cases?

9 hours ago, kye said:

Just curious but why is 48p so much different to 60p?  One is 50% speed and the other is 40% speed when slowed to 24p.  Does that make a difference in many cases?

I meant project/playback framerates. Also, I’d like exact 30p/60p to become standards.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, Mako Sports said:

Actually I'd like to see an F5 update for the legit "entry level cinema" space. Maybe something like a new sensor + Venice color + 4K 120fps internal instead of external. 

This! Unfortunately the FS7 has in many ways "replaced" the F5 (and even F55 at times), when in reality the FS7 is quite the step down. 

Thus there is a big hole left between the FS7mk2 and VENICE in Sony's line up. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

This! Unfortunately the FS7 has in many ways "replaced" the F5 (and even F55 at times), when in reality the FS7 is quite the step down. 

Thus there is a big hole left between the FS7mk2 and VENICE in Sony's line up. 

If everyone gets what they want then that hole will be filled with the A7SIII ???

I’d like to to see a new camera from blackmagic to replace the micro, but they should rebrand it as an Ursa micro with the following:

-similar design to ursa mini pro but smaller

-p4k sensor

-mft mount

-2 sd card slots, 1 cfast 2.0

-2 mini xlr (or full xlr if possible)

-able to connect with ursa mini handle

...And with best wishes...

-internal ND

-3-4” side flip out screen on side or maybe (back like c100)

-sony npf battery

price: 2-3.5k

2 minutes ago, Tiki_ said:

I’d like to to see a new camera from blackmagic to replace the micro, but they should rebrand it as an Ursa micro with the following:

-p4k sensor

Seems like they wouldn't put the same sensor in a higher end body. The P4K sensor is so good it wouldn't be a bad idea though. Using a sensor like the Sony one in the XT3 would be a good idea as well. 

15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems like they wouldn't put the same sensor in a higher end body. The P4K sensor is so good it wouldn't be a bad idea though. Using a sensor like the Sony one in the XT3 would be a good idea as well. 

True. I was thinking since they made the micro cinema camera with the same sensor as the og pocket they could do something similar with the 4K sensor in a new body.

I think instead of being able to put a pocket or micro on a drone they could just make a mid range that wouldn’t quite be an ursa mini pro. It would have in my dreams.

Resolutions: 4K dci, uhd, 2k dci, hd 

cdng 4:1,3:1, uncompressed

bm raw

pro res 422

The ursa pro would have the resolutions, prores 4444 options, etc.

That’s all just a wish though!

I see there are a lot of people wanting a small-ish video camera under 5000money. 

The only options right now is the old JVC LS300 and the even older C100mkii.

There is an obvious hole in the market that companies fear to fulfill.

Too bad for us I guess, but Fuji/Nikon/JVC can be more adventurous and present something in this year, or the next.

3 hours ago, Django said:

FS5 mk2 is under $5K. 

It has compact modular form factor. Auto Vari-ND. 10-bit 422 FHD. And comes standard with external RAW up to 4K 120fps / 2K 240fps.

I am assuming Sony are taking a back seat right now as no other company really gives them a run for their money in that segment.

I do not know about American pricing, I have a EU registered company which pays VAT, so the FS5ii is around 6000€ for me.

FS5ii is a great camera, that is why is the best selling one, but it is starting to show its age now. Especially the sensor and AF performance.

The JVC LS300 is 3000€ by the way, and C100mkII 4400€.

I used the FS5 for a couple of years and loved the form factor, variable ND, E-Mount, and pretty much everything about the camera other than the image (which of course is most important) - and the internal 4K isn't great at all. Hoping Canon, Fuji, or Black Magic challenge Sony in this mini video camera space. 

A Black Magic pocket 4K with a more video-camera style, internal NDs, Sony NPF batteries, and XLRs would be great: a mini Ursa Pro (actually mini). Even the same sensor, Dual ISO, image quality, etc - the Pocket 4K is pretty far ahead of the FS5 in 4K image quality, and at $1295.  So a video camera version in the $3-5k would be great and also doesn't seem too much like a stretch. 

BM Raw is definitely my current favorite codec, so would love to see it implemented in more cameras as well. 

17 hours ago, Django said:

FS5 mk2 is under $5K. 

It has compact modular form factor. Auto Vari-ND. 10-bit 422 FHD. And comes standard with external RAW up to 4K 120fps / 2K 240fps.

I am assuming Sony are taking a back seat right now as no other company really gives them a run for their money in that segment.

Heh, we're having an identical discussion (of why is there nothing else other than the FS5 in this price bracket? FS5 is getting kinda old) over here:

What Sony did with the FS5 mk2 is quite clever though. They included the RAW + Super Slowmo paid upgrades, added Venice color science and lowered the price to under $5K.

Once you add an atomos, the 4K IQ and HFR is pretty outstanding and unrivalled at such a price point:

I think they will be milking this camera for another year or two (or until the competition offers better).. who else even has 4K RAW 120fps on their roadmap?

Only Red currently i can think of..

On 2/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, Tiki_ said:

-p4k sensor

-mft mount

-2 sd card slots, 1 cfast 2.0

-2 mini xlr (or full xlr if possible)

-able to connect with ursa mini handle

...And with best wishes...

-internal ND

-3-4” side flip out screen on side or maybe (back like c100)

-sony npf battery

price: 2-3.5k

I would like to see the p4k sensor in a Micro size/style body, with 4K60p SDI video out, 2 mini XLR connectors with phantom power, mft Mount, BRAW internal recording etc... basically, I would trade the P4K LCD for an SDI out and an additional Mini XLR input. Also, upgrade the sensor to the Sharp version and make it 8k/4k switchable.

• Super Members
58 minutes ago, Django said:

Speaking of NDs, it still boggles my mind why no company has yet built an MILC with internal NDs (closest being Canon with the Vari-ND adapter..).

Pentax Q announced 8 years ago have several lenses with built-in NDs and leaf shutters. Even the kit lenses. So it's at least not unheard of ;)