GX85/80 - any news on a next generation model?

Thpriest

I use my GX85 as a B-cam to my GH5 or for when I just want to go light as possible. It's a great wee camera. We've seen a lot of new cameras recently I was wondering if there was any news about a GX90/95?

I'd love one more or less the same but with the GH5 o G9 sensor and the ability to shoot 4K 50p (8 bit is fine for me). A mic in would be great too!

I'd love to have 2 of them, each with a Voigtlander attached! Super light run and gun!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To be honest I can't think what they could add to the G90 with their current technology which would make it that much of an improvement over the G80/G85 (apart from using a less stupid naming scheme!)

The sensor is honestly fine, we don't need more megapixels for video (and the G85's 16mp sensor actually has better low light performance than the GH5's 20.3mp sensor), higher framerates are cool but aren't going to sell a camera. Already the G85 has incredible IBIS, a great EVF, a pretty good fully articulating screen, a mic input, decent handling with enough buttons and knobs... I suspect that's why they haven't released an updated version, there's not much to improve. Maybe improved AF? But even Panasonic's best AF isn't that much better.

From my understanding, the GX9 has a crop in 4k. How is the 1080p compared with the GH5?

I assume it doesn't have full sensor supersampling even in 1080p, and apparently worse rolling shutter than the GH5. It will probably be good enough for me as a small B-cam anyway, but it would have been nice to have a mini-GH5.

EDIT: Comparing the video of the GX9 and the GH5, the aliasing is much better on the GH5 both in UHD and 1080p. I assume this has got to do with higher supersampling: https://***URL removed***/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9/8

13 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

I'm almost certain Andrew Reid has mentioned that Panasonic definitely considers the G9 as the update to the G85.

Surely not??? The G85 is still being sold new and marketed. 

And the G9 is at a totally different price point, and aimed at a totally different market. 

I'm a bit disappointed with Panasonic to be honest.

They did so well for years following the GH2 even with the small stuff like the LX100. Now there's an update to the latter as well as e.g. the FZ1000, which is, well rather embarrassing. Seems they've taken a page from the Canon playbook: 'minimum effort, regurgitating mostly old stuff, labelling it as new'. GH2, GH3, GH4 used to be the flagships. Now there's 3. GH5, G9 and GH5S. You need the G9 if you want most out of photography, the GH5 for IBIS video and GH5S for best sensor performance. Let's sell you more cameras. What indeed happened to cameras with amazing value such as the G70, G80 and GX80? I'm afraid we're only going to see their focus shift from consumer to high-end as the former will increasingly favor a smartphone. Also, higher-end cameras and less of them mean increasing prices and a focus on high-end lenses as well. See Olympus with their E-M1X. Also, it's been a while since either of them focused on making compact and affordable lenses. It's mostly big chunky Olympus PRO and Leica these days. I'm afraid bang for buck has become out of luck. Btw, people are still asking for a proper GX8 successor. The GX9 indeed is more of an alternate take on the GX80.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

I'm a bit disappointed with Panasonic to be honest.

They did so well for years following the GH2 even with the small stuff like the LX100. Now there's an update to the latter as well as e.g. the FZ1000, which is, well rather embarrassing. Seems they've taken a page from the Canon playbook: 'minimum effort, regurgitating mostly old stuff, labelling it as new'. GH2, GH3, GH4 used to be the flagships. Now there's 3. GH5, G9 and GH5S. You need the G9 if you want most out of photography, the GH5 for IBIS video and GH5S for best sensor performance. Let's sell you more cameras. What indeed happened to cameras with amazing value such as the G70, G80 and GX80? I'm afraid we're only going to see their focus shift from consumer to high-end as the former will increasingly favor a smartphone. Also, higher-end cameras and less of them mean increasing prices and a focus on high-end lenses as well. See Olympus with their E-M1X. Also, it's been a while since either of them focused on making compact and affordable lenses. It's mostly big chunky Olympus PRO and Leica these days. I'm afraid bang for buck has become out of luck. Btw, people are still asking for a proper GX8 successor. The GX9 indeed is more of an alternate take on the GX80.

I don't know, I appreciate the GH line. I think the GH5S was simply a tech limitation as far as IBIS goes. 4k 60p and 10 bit were big advancements. I think we may see something more like the GH5 in a less expensive body once the GH6 comes out. Putting one out now would take away from the GH line too much which is still relatively new.

11 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't know, I appreciate the GH line. I think the GH5S was simply a tech limitation as far as IBIS goes. 4k 60p and 10 bit were big advancements. I think we may see something more like the GH5 in a less expensive body once the GH6 comes out. Putting one out now would take away from the GH line too much which is still relatively new.

It was normal though for the cheaper G series to "kinda" leap frog the older GH model (before even the new GH model came out). 

The G6 for instance is in "some ways" "better" than the GH3
And the G80 for most of us is generally going to be a better choice than the GH4!

Why couldn't a G90 not only match the GH5 in a some areas but even in one or two ways exceed the GH5?