magic arm to hold ninja v

thephoenix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don’t own a magic arm, but I was entertaining the idea of one in the past... so I am no expert to recommend one to you.

In any case, let me shoot a couple of questions back at you... in what configuration were you planning to use it in? How will it balance on that gimbal?

I have found the little ones are Too little, and the big ones are Too big! I have not found a Goldilocks one yet. And I have them from cheap to OH MY God expensive.Just make sure you get one with a Knob, not a Snap Lever. But the price doesn't seem to matter. I have found at times they all work, and at times the next time you use one it is total shit. I hate the damn things on average. But no other good solution so I cuss a lot.

1 minute ago, mkabi said:

I don’t own a magic arm, but I was entertaining the idea of one in the past... so I am no expert to recommend one to you.

In any case, let me shoot a couple of questions back at you... in what configuration were you planning to use it in? How will it balance on that gimbal?

i have a moza air 2 and there is a 3/8 mount on it. it does not affect balance

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have found the little ones are Too little, and the big ones are Too big! I have not found a Goldilocks one yet. And I have them from cheap to OH MY God expensive.Just make sure you get one with a Knob, not a Snap Lever.

yes i have a few manfrotto but they are too heavy and big for a gimball

seems like the small ones are not that good even from well know brands as smallrig

Oh Small Rig is the worse one I have! There was a guy making them years ago that was really good, but they were scary expensive. I don't think he is in business anymore.

I have this Manfrotto one and at times it will hold an Elephant and at times not a 5" Monitor. I have taken it apart several times and "adjusted" it but it is inconsistent as hell. I use it for my iPad 9.6" as a Monitor at times. As big and heavy as it is you Could kill an Elephant with it. Useless at times, especially when you Need it to work. I even have the one with the Knob and it is really no better. And trust me I have the strength to damn near break the bolt off holding the knob LoL. I am thinking of just making a arm out of Rebar bent to shape! Even then you have the problem of keeping the damn thing tight in the 3/8th hole in the tripod also. What a mess. Video is a Royal pain in the ass at times.

https://www.manfrotto.us/magic-photo-arm-kit-aluminium-with-locking-lever

I have heard a few good things about this Zacuto one. Never owned it though. I have a lot of Zacuto stuff. They make quality products if you can afford it. I bought most of my stuff over the years from their marked down discontinued section. ?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587608-REG/Zacuto_ZARM_S3_ZARM_S3_Zamerican_Articulating_Arm.html#customerReview

I have been using the Gini Monitor Arm for a few years, and it's OK.

Not great, but not expensive either.

I usually use it with a smallHD dp4 or dp6 monitors with Sony NPF batteries on them.

The arm is fine for the dp4, but gets a little unwieldy with the dp6.

I got mine with a bunch of other rig components, but it costs about $40 on it's own. I like it, I wish it were beefier and longer, but not long like I've seen other magic arms. 

If you guys find some good ones, please post here. I'm definitely interested in picking up another one going forward.

2 hours ago, androidlad said:

problem is that on the moza air 2 the mount isn't on the side but on the front, so this part is useless for moza air 2 :(

33 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

looks a bit short to me

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Found the Arm that the guy invented. Expensive though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1251333-REG/matthews_429627_infinity_arm_kit.html

Video of it. Looks like it might be overkill for a Ninja V?

crazy expensive yes

I went for the middle 3 (top line) Smallrig items here, albeit from Amazon France: https://www.amazon.com/shop/craigbeckta

Ninja V (arrived this morning...except I immediately broke the HDMI cable) to Ronin S.

19 hours ago, androidlad said:

This looks really good...but I need something now!