Anything cheaper than the FS5 for 4k120 RAW?

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What external recorder is the best to go with an FS5mkII?

The P4K is not being available yet, and I have to explore other option. The FS5ii with the "cine" 18-110mm is a good and "cheap" dependable option. 

I'd definitely hold fire until after NAB.

The Shogun Inferno will give you the ProRes RAW capability but if Atomos announce an SDI version of the Ninja V then that might be a better form factor.

13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Shogun Inferno will give you the ProRes RAW capability but if Atomos announce an SDI version of the Ninja V then that might be a better form factor.

They may not have RAW 120 capabilities tho. Right now the Odyssey 7q is the cheapest option for 4k 120p raw.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They may not have RAW 120 capabilities tho. Right now the Odyssey 7q is the cheapest option for 4k 120p raw.

True, the Ninja V doesn't but if they are going to bring out a smaller screened "Shogun V" then it would be worth holding out for a few weeks until NAB to have a look unless the purchase was needed immediately if you had the need for the burst 4K mode of the FS5. 

The Shogun Inferno had a firmware update to handle the 4K120p RAW from the FS5

https://***URL not allowed***/firmware-update-atomos-shogun-inferno-brings-quad-dual-link-support-4k-120p/

At $1395 its quite a bit cheaper than the Odyssey 7Q at $2300 (including the additional RAW license for the 4K120p burst) although the Odyssey does have a very nice additional trick with the Titan HD extract feature for doing faux multi cam from a single 4K camera.

19 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

True, the Ninja V doesn't but if they are going to bring out a smaller screened "Shogun V" then it would be worth holding out for a few weeks until NAB to have a look unless the purchase was needed immediately if you had the need for the burst 4K mode of the FS5. 

The Shogun Inferno had a firmware update to handle the 4K120p RAW from the FS5

https://***URL not allowed***/firmware-update-atomos-shogun-inferno-brings-quad-dual-link-support-4k-120p/

At $1395 its quite a bit cheaper than the Odyssey 7Q at $2300 (including the additional RAW license for the 4K120p burst) although the Odyssey does have a very nice additional trick with the Titan HD extract feature for doing faux multi cam from a single 4K camera.

Oh dang I didn't know the Inferno did RAW 120. 

• Super Members

This is the user manual from a few months ago.

It says in there the Cinema DNG is only up to 4K30p but then their press releases seem to contradict that !

http://downloads.atomos.com/shogun-inferno/Shogun_Inferno_User_Manual.pdf

Honestly, I would email them directly and explicitly ask the question for the exact config combination that you want.

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I am going from NAB to NAB, and IBC to IBC!

I am reluctant to go FS5 when the P4K is 1450€. E-ND is amazing, but do not worth the price difference I guess.

The Pocket 4k will probably be my next purchase in 2020. The URSA mini 4k is tempting too but its hard to beat the Pocket's size and price point, and image quality for that matter. 

The FS700 odyssey combo is amazing but I don't think I'd like the ergonomics. There is a thread going on DVXuser about if the FS700 is worth it in 2019, everyone was still happy with theirs and weren't even planning on switching, that says a lot. 

14 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The Pocket 4k will probably be my next purchase in 2020. The URSA mini 4k is tempting too but its hard to beat the Pocket's size and price point, and image quality for that matter. 

The FS700 odyssey combo is amazing but I don't think I'd like the ergonomics. There is a thread going on DVXuser about if the FS700 is worth it in 2019, everyone was still happy with theirs and weren't even planning on switching, that says a lot. 

Oh my! I hated that camera! Worst ergonomics ever, questionable build quality.  Great slow mo machine.

All the people I knew owned one have moved on for years now.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am reluctant to go FS5 when the P4K is 1450€. E-ND is amazing, but do not worth the price difference I guess.

It frustrating really because the cost of making an E-ND is actually quite low.

Aputure do a version of their DEC controller of course from EF to MFT or E but there is no pass through for AF which is not as much of an issue for the Pocket 4K as it doesn't do it for any adapted lens anyway but is for other MFT cameras not to mention the Sony ones.

There is certainly the space available within an EF to M adapter or a Sigma MC11 EF to E adapter to house one and I'm tempted to pick up a really cheap EF to E adapter to modify and put my own in.

When you want a focal reducer involved though then there is just no way to fit one in which brings us back to the front mounted option.

You may remember this thread from last year

And, well, from today's "Tales From The Lashed Together Protoype Lab" I offer you this that suggests the idea may have been dormant but not forgotten ;)

DSC02817.thumb.jpg.467e6c225626ae96b401de0d594bc894.jpg 

12 hours ago, Django said:

Sony are probably in the best position to offer an E-ND in hopefully A7S3. They would do such a killing.

But we all know they wont do it, I feel like there isn't enough space in an A7 or A9 body for a ND filter module. A Tall 1DX body would be perfect for it imo.