Atomos Shinobi (monitor only version of the Ninja V)

AlexTrinder96

• Administrators
On 2/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I'm going to bang the Ninja Star drum again but I've got to say that if they were going to split the Ninja V into its two component parts then they've arguably decided to sell the wrong half !

Don't get me wrong, its a great monitor for that price but at £349 the extra £200 for the Ninja V having the recorder is almost a no brainer.

Whereas if they reversed that equation and made a compact recorder only version for £200 then everyone who's cameras offer enhanced frame rates and bit rates over HDMI only would be all over it.

And while we're at it, Atomos would also have a big hit by doing an affordable EVF.

I entirely agree!!

Atomos need to be brave and make a 4K recorder in the mould of a battery grip, specific to certain cameras like the Nikon Z6.

Instead of an HDMI cable and top heavy hot-shoe mounting, it would screw into the base of the camera, with moulded hand-grip same as the usual battery grip for mirrorless cams.

Then the HDMI port could go into a firm side wall on the grip that extends only fractionally upward at the side of the camera, enough to reach the HDMI port and allow the camera to slide in sideways so that the connection is made, then secured through the tripod mount like a normal battery grip.

See the Sony A7 III battery grip for design reference but inside instead of a load of empty space and a couple of batteries, it has one battery and a Ninja 4K chipset.

It could even power the camera for a bit longer battery life. No worries having to babysit two shit batteries, one in the camera and one on the back of an external monitor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
28 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I entirely agree!!

Atomos need to be brave and make a 4K recorder in the mould of a battery grip, specific to certain cameras like the Nikon Z6.

Instead of an HDMI cable and top heavy hot-shoe mounting, it would screw into the base of the camera, with moulded hand-grip same as the usual battery grip for mirrorless cams.

Then the HDMI port could go into a firm side wall on the grip that extends only fractionally upward at the side of the camera, enough to reach the HDMI port and allow the camera to slide in sideways so that the connection is made, then secured through the tripod mount like a normal battery grip.

See the Sony A7 III battery grip for design reference but inside instead of a load of empty space and a couple of batteries, it has one battery and a Ninja 4K chipset.

It could even power the camera for a bit longer battery life. No worries having to babysit two shit batteries, one in the camera and one on the back of an external monitor.

Yeah, I think they could do something that plugs into the side in one go along the lines of this one for the OG Pocket to take the HDMI,USBC and Shutter release down in a straight line into an under camera grip (as opposed to breakouts like this) which has all of the clever stuff in.

41vue-BWT2L.jpg.732498c92d69273666a3d5e353e25d20.jpg

One thing that worried me about the Ninja V was that it seemed to use quite a lot of battery, while the Shinobo promises all day power. If I'm able to use a 4 cell instead of 6 cell NP-F battery, the total size difference might end up making a worthy difference 

Edit: it's obvious that recording takes more power than just displaying, but I'm quite happy with the internal recording of the GH5 and don't really need 4k60.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, Andrew Reid said:

THIS is what is needed. I don't want a monitor, I just need the HDMI recording. And I definitely don't need a recorder that emits sound and draws 20 watts of power in an HOUR. Makes it more of a battery problem than the Pocket 4K.

For my current EOS R setup, I'd love a Ninja Star. I use my old one for 10-bit HD, but would really like it for 4K. Atomos needs to get on it, as there are plenty of affordable monitor-only products out there, but ZERO 4K recorders without a massive monitor and power draw. 

Hoping for NAB 2019.

Or maybe Black Magic can deliver and give us BM Raw!

15 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Well I think this new portkeys monitor is what many people (including me) have been asking for. Nice price for all the features. 

53155089_2278977465683791_3203693153504722944_n.thumb.jpg.6c3f28f6b9204bd6447525df99a3345e.jpg53544673_2278977535683784_1534094775475503104_n.thumb.jpg.9cb3174f987702c706d88975b780a074.jpg52929793_2278977505683787_8317588598341763072_n.thumb.jpg.3e7d4180b7701cdf12873a543a1803d5.jpg53034453_2278977589017112_5301799027086458880_n.thumb.jpg.8ef9f8f3ee5f6c65bf8f2f1472fe2151.jpg

It also allows remote of the Z Cam E2 apparently 

• 4 weeks later...