Canon EOS RP and Fuji X-T30 announced - a Grand Canyon sized gap in 4K technology

Andrew Reid

53 minutes ago, Django said:

A fair comparison I think could be Apple (vs Android/PC). A lot of the criticism is similar as well: overpriced, old tech,  limited closed system etc..

Haha, I too thought about that comparsion just this morning. Indeed, the critics sound somewhat similar. My main production tools are all from Canon and Apple – I must be a crazy dude for some ;)  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, ade towell said:

I think Canon will sell loads of these but not to people who care at all about video quality - it is definitely aimed at photographers and frustratingly for us with Canon fit lenses, almost all of their dslr and mirrorless cameras are too. There still isn't a decent spec (on the video side) cheapish Canon hybrid. We are probably a small niche market they don't really care about which is annoying but best to just accept it and move on to a company that does cater for what we want. There are plenty of other companies that have reliable and relevant products with good support. (and have decent AF and colour etc)

Canon sell loads of cameras. We have just been out to visit Anglsea Abbey near Cambridge here in the UK. They have a spectacular show of snowdrops & with this afternoon being about the sunniest day of the year so far there were a horde of people out. I saw  about 30+ people with a camera all taking stills. Canon outnumbered Nikon by 10 to1. There was one guy with a point & shoot (couldn't see the brand looked a few years old) & another guy with an Olympus OM-D E-M1. That was it. Plenty of people using their phones for stills. I was the only one using a Sony RX100M6.

15 hours ago, Django said:

It's no coincidence Sony announced their Dual Pixel-like AF improvements for A73/A9 or that Nikon just unveiled the details of their 12-bit RAW output (I'm hoping they take it a step further and add it internally, now that would really put the pressure on Sony/Pany/Canon).

Once they roll out the firmware update for CF Express, then maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe raw internal is going to happen next?

Might make their partner Atomos less than happy though

25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Once they roll out the firmware update for CF Express, then maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe raw internal is going to happen next?

Might make their partner Atomos less than happy though

If its not cinema DNG, I guess the external prores RAW could be beneficial as file sizes would be smaller. 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, TheRealOG said:

So... They could do it, but they decided to cripple it intentionally? All of their cameras do 24P. There really isn't a proper justification from Canon's side not to provide 24P in FHD. I understood why they did with the 5Dmkii back in 2008, because it was innovative. This is 2019 and it's the minimum that they could do for people.

The 24p is probably an oversight, very few people shoot at that frame rate so it is the sort of thing that is easy to overlook in development.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, Michi said:

What makes you think so? I'd have thought "normal" shooters would mainly use 30p...?

Why would they do that? They would choose the highest quality setting available, which typically 60p when shooting FHD.

2 hours ago, Mokara said:

Why would they do that? They would choose the highest quality setting available, which typically 60p when shooting FHD.

Well I'd say 30p and here in Europe 25p are the standard (normal) realtime framerates. Wouldn't you? 50p/60p is used mainly for slowmo. So unless you're shooting sports or maybe a musicvideo I see no merit in shooting everything 50p/60p. Quality should be more or less identical on the RP as the bitrate doubles: 30Mbs in 30p, 60Mbs in 60p.

Higher framerate-modes have often degrading quality since many cameras record them in only slightly higher bitrates.

Maybe I misunderstood you?