Canon EOS RP and Fuji X-T30 announced - a Grand Canyon sized gap in 4K technology

Andrew Reid

Another disappointment from Canon! If they had an affodable dedicated video camera with RF mount I could understand why video capacity on EOS R/RP are so bad and I could understand their segmentation but this is not the case. We might have an affordable XC R or something one day or another but Canon don't tell us their roadmap on purpose for maximizing their sales. This EOS RP or even EOS R are not good enough for me to upgrade from my 80D which is a 3 years old FHD DSLR... That says it all...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes padam, but not everyone needs the big video ecosystem -f.e. small / indie productions- and since Z has shortest flange distance you can adapt almost any FF / S35 lens. EOSHD is a lot about hybrid cameras for enthusiasts and semipros, right? So Nikon got very interesting in the last 2 years. By the way, professional i am more in the environment of ARRI, RED or Sony Venice- but for "private" tasks I am happy with Nikon (D850/Z6) for photography and video.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

canon-4k-disaster-eos-rp.jpg

Oh look! It's time for Canon to roll out their old chips again! The EOS RP has an identical sensor to the 6D Mark II, with a micro-lens array design more suited to mirrorless lenses. Canon openly admit in interviews that the RP cannot even do cropped 4K/30p without overheating. Even the modest bump in frame rate would have necessitated "a larger body design", they say. Not sure I believe them, but clearly the technology is behind the curve.

Most disappointingly of all, it turns out that the EOS RP lacks Dual Pixel AF in 4K video mode, like the M50, which means it's a "no-buy" from me and better to stick with the EOS R until the pro body is released, which perhaps, is the intention.

Fuji on the other hand - an even smaller, lighter (380g) and cheaper camera has a full-width 6K sensor readout without overheating and most of the 4K video features of the superb X-T3 for under $900, with F-LOG, 120fps 1080p and bonus 10bit 4:2:2 external output.

There is a CHASM between Canon and Fuji in their video technology.

Read the full article

That was pretty predictable based on the cost of the camera and what we know about the limitations of the Digic 8 processor.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I would have thought it was against Intel's rules to go so far outside the spec but use the same connector.

Surely a USB C chipset does not exist that is 2.0 only so it's an artificial firmware crippling limit.

Oh, forgot to mention the small battery as well.

As usual the rumours flattered the camera a bit too much!

USB type C refers to the physical design specs of the interface, not it's speed (in other words the shape, wire hookup etc). That is determined by the USB spec itself, such as 2.0 or 3.1 etc. There is no such thing as a "USB C" chipset.

In any case, USB speed in the specs refers to the maximum data rate. Individual devices may use anything less than that if they want. A power supply for example has a data rate of zero :)

9 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

lmao no 1080P if you have an EFS lens attached

GG Canon

Probably because FHD uses the whole sensor while EFS lens are designed fom crop sensors and don't cover FF.

2 hours ago, Laser Blue said:

I’m really more of a Captain Kirk guy. Gets shit done with flair and style. Reliable. Fun at parties.

But Captain Kirk was a dick though :)

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think they don't want to cannibalize their XT3 sales until next year.

Maaaaaybe the X-T30 will get a firmware update for 4K 60fps 10bit after the X-T4 comes out?  ? ?

2 hours ago, wind1414 said:

?

Nikon Z is underrated... It has a lot more to offer & curios about the coming firmware update and other z's like z5 or 9...  Imagine the shitstorm if Nikon had 4K crop!

I have my fingers crossed for a DX version of the Nikon Z6, priced like a Nikon D7500 or cheaper 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nice analogy.

The problem is too many shooters are Mr Spock!

I literally described myself as a Vulcan to my date last night 

I think to be fair to the R.I.P. and Canon, it will sell in bucketloads as the vast majority of consumers are not; videocentric people as on this forum or others like it, or YouTubers and their followers or general camera nerds, but people who will walk into a camera shop and buy whatever uninformed person who works there (this week) sells them.

Probably a better camera for stills shooters than video and to be further fair to Canon, a good growing (if expensive) lenses.

But I still spit on you Canon ;)

25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I literally described myself as a Vulcan to my date last night 

Funny to mention all these analogies. I started all the Star Trek serieses again since the summer. I am now at - mid - 2nd season of Voyager. 

What a disappointment the new Enterprise is..Canon offers too little, Enterprise tries to offer too much.

2 hours ago, wind1414 said:

Yes padam, but not everyone needs the big video ecosystem -f.e. small / indie productions- and since Z has shortest flange distance you can adapt almost any FF / S35 lens. EOSHD is a lot about hybrid cameras for enthusiasts and semipros, right? So Nikon got very interesting in the last 2 years. By the way, professional i am more in the environment of ARRI, RED or Sony Venice- but for "private" tasks I am happy with Nikon (D850/Z6) for photography and video.

Yes of course, but in that case of adapting lenses, apart from a better HDMI and stabilization (although it is 3-axis only for non-Z-mount) out what does it acually offer in comparison to Sony and they will also release the the A7SIII in a few months, yes it will be pricey, but with even better focus on FF video, so no doubt it will get a lot of orders from existing A7SII or A7III users.
I can see why some people would choose Nikon in the same as they would choose a Panasonic, I just can't see any of them as a huge hit, when there are many more users with Rebel cameras hanging around taking videos, most of them might just stay within the brand.
Canon can simply put the M50 sensor in a 200D successor and it would probably still sell well.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Basically an M50 with a speedbooster and some weird crippling. ?

At double the price.

34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Can't believe you're all missing the obvious Star Trek line here.

"Captain's Log....No, hang on it doesn't have any sort of Log."

Highly illogical, Mr Kirk!

Beam me up! (Cue rolling shutter ripple effect)

4 hours ago, Laser Blue said:

Hmmm. Z6 sidelined for video... I have a huge Pelican case of vintage and modern Nikon-F glass that begs to differ. And Minolta MD. And Exacta. I can mount virtually any lens I want. B4, PL... Any look I want in terms of contrast, flare, lack of flare, glass-cutting sharpness of Nikon S glass.

Having shot professionally with: Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Nikon and Canon, I’m not a fanboy of any brand. In a gen-1 camera, Nikon gives us: Full-width 4K readout. IBIS. Nikon color. Most legacy F mount Nikon/Sigma AF glass 10-bit 4:2:2 and soon ProRes RAW HDMI out. Eye AF (in May.) Atomos development collaboration. Weather sealing. Good battery life. Nikon build quality. An excellent touch interface. Nikon menu structure and customization. XQD/CFExpress speed, capacity and reliability (May.) Robust low light recording. Good tracking AF in 1.0 firmware...

Canon gives us crazy expensive glass (again), crippled features and weird fn slidy bar thingy “innovation.”

Panasonic gives us questionable DFD CDAF. The S1 is cool, until your bitrate is too low and your AF hunts and breathes constantly. Hmmm.

Sony gives us little robotic squares that do the job in 8-bit 4:2:0 like Mr. Spock, with all the associated charm.

I’m really more of a Captain Kirk guy. Gets shit done with flair and style. Reliable. Fun at parties.

Nikon has no cinema line to “protect” by making their RF/EF bodies suck. Nikon is free to innovate. More so than Sony, Panasonic—maybe all save Fuji. Canon. Meh. Idiots. Nice color science. Still, idiots to me.

Maybe once Sigma makes native Z glass and a smart adapter. Maybe one for EF glass too. People will look at the future and see Canon continuing to fall behind as B/C cams to Cxxx bodies. Maybe Sony heads in the same direction to protect Cinema cams.

My money is on Nikon Z. Literally.

Again, this is just reading off a spec sheet, yes there are plenty of positive but only some things are definitely distorted here.

For instance, with the paid upgrade the internal codec of the S1 is definitely stronger (but XQD/CFExpress seems totally wasteful at this point, why not use it when it becomes less expensive and more useful, 1st gen adopters I guess...), and let's not ignore the cropped 4k60p either

With internal recording the Sony really isn't that much different (the Canon does have way less internal compression, also ignored) and they will offer more in their next camera.

And that's all just specs, actual impressions aren't as common, especially directly against competitors, and they can differ:

I can only say that I can't put it into words, but I see it similarly, the BMPCC4k is the other one besides Canon, which looks much less like video to me (but with less rolling shutter) and I also like the concept of EF glass(how many were produced, 130,140 million?), AF capable but also no silly electronic focusing, you attach it to your ND-filter RF-mount adapter, and you're done. Of course once has to pay more for a higher-end camera to unlock more of what this system is capable of, but in some aspects, there is actually more there as well(but definitely not everything, like FF video or raw recording)