Canon EOS RP and Fuji X-T30 announced - a Grand Canyon sized gap in 4K technology

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

canon-4k-disaster-eos-rp.jpg

Oh look! It's time for Canon to roll out their old chips again! The EOS RP has an identical sensor to the 6D Mark II, with a micro-lens array design more suited to mirrorless lenses. Canon openly admit in interviews that the RP cannot even do cropped 4K/30p without overheating. Even the modest bump in frame rate would have necessitated "a larger body design", they say. Not sure I believe them, but clearly the technology is behind the curve.

Most disappointingly of all, it turns out that the EOS RP lacks Dual Pixel AF in 4K video mode, like the M50, which means it's a "no-buy" from me and better to stick with the EOS R until the pro body is released, which perhaps, is the intention.

Fuji on the other hand - an even smaller, lighter (380g) and cheaper camera has a full-width 6K sensor readout without overheating and most of the 4K video features of the superb X-T3 for under $900, with F-LOG, 120fps 1080p and bonus 10bit 4:2:2 external output.

There is a CHASM between Canon and Fuji in their video technology.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon  is pretty hilarious.

If you hold the XT30 to the XT3 in terms of innovation the XT30 is disappointing. But Fuji already gave us a great affordable camera so you can't complain. Its also the nicest camera in its price range IMO. I am glad they don't handicap auto focus in their cheaper bodies like Canon. People who want cheaper bodies probably don't need 10bit or 4k 60p but auto focus is a great feature for anyone, probably more so for lower budget people. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Hilarious! Only Canon can find a way to give us and then proceed to cripple USB-C..

I would have thought it was against Intel's rules to go so far outside the spec but use the same connector.

Surely a USB C chipset does not exist that is 2.0 only so it's an artificial firmware crippling limit.

Oh, forgot to mention the small battery as well.

As usual the rumours flattered the camera a bit too much!

There is nothing anyone is (currently) doing that tempts me away from Fuji (XT3 video, XH1 stills).

Towards the end of last year, I began casting glances in the direction of the Nikon Z6 and Canon EOS R and whilst both have credits, not enough.

Sony. No thanks. The iii looks very capable both on paper and in reality, but I just don't feel it.

The Panny S1 comes closest, but not enough...at least not yet, to make me move.

And now this pair of 'B' ('C'?) cameras... Nope, not quite for the XT30, but better effort than the R.I.P.

What is it with all the manufacturers? Just give us what we want, a Fuji XH2 :)

I don't usually get annoyed about cameras,  but this is beyond ridiculous now.

I think if you primarily shoot video, then forget about Canon. At every single price point, overall the competition offers far more attractive packages. 

There's always some baffling omission or lack of compulsory features that ruin every release....

"New 4k full frame but you can't use our class leading DPAF in the best video mode! The 4k isn't full frame either. The price is very low but the lenses are twice the price! Wanna buy?"

Rant over. 

Where's my Panasonic? ?

17 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

There is nothing anyone is (currently) doing that tempts me away from Fuji (XT3 video, XH1 stills).

Towards the end of last year, I began casting glances in the direction of the Nikon Z6 and Canon EOS R and whilst both have credits, not enough.

Sony. No thanks. The iii looks very capable both on paper and in reality, but I just don't feel it.

The Panny S1 comes closest, but not enough...at least not yet, to make me move.

And now this pair of 'B' ('C'?) cameras... Nope, not quite for the XT30, but better effort than the R.I.P.

What is it with all the manufacturers? Just give us what we want, a Fuji XH2 :)

I think they don't want to cannibalize their XT3 sales until next year.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I don't usually get annoyed about cameras,  but this is beyond ridiculous now.

I think if you primarily shoot video, then forget about Canon. At every single price point, overall the competition offers far more attractive packages. 

There's always some baffling omission or lack of compulsory features that ruin every release....

"New 4k full frame but you can't use our class leading DPAF in the best video mode! The 4k isn't full frame either. The price is very low but the lenses are twice the price! Wanna buy?"

Rant over. 

Where's my Panasonic? ?

I think they have a vendetta for us mate!!

It would be interesting to see how many higher-end Cinema EOS sales they lost to the Sony and Panasonic mirrorless / camcorder eco-system due to not having good small b-cams with Canon LOG and minimal rolling shutter.

Disabling DPAF in 4K is so weird - the 70D with Magic Lantern does RAW with DPAF - it just stays on as normal, even with a hack.

7 minutes ago, wind1414 said:

?

Nikon Z is underrated... It has a lot more to offer & curios about the coming firmware update and other z's like z5 or 9...  Imagine the shitstorm if Nikon had 4K crop!

It is not underrated, it is simply sidelined for video, because while it is much stronger on paper, it is not in an ecosystem that is being used extensively for video production - like Canon EF for that matter. The platform is not nearly as sturdy with lenses that were not designed for video and focus backwards. And maybe it is just me, but I don't think that the image looks that nice (maybe with heavy grading from raw it is completely different, but that's a whole different workflow).

Hmmm. Z6 sidelined for video... I have a huge Pelican case of vintage and modern Nikon-F glass that begs to differ. And Minolta MD. And Exacta. I can mount virtually any lens I want. B4, PL... Any look I want in terms of contrast, flare, lack of flare, glass-cutting sharpness of Nikon S glass.

Having shot professionally with: Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Nikon and Canon, I’m not a fanboy of any brand. In a gen-1 camera, Nikon gives us: Full-width 4K readout. IBIS. Nikon color. Most legacy F mount Nikon/Sigma AF glass 10-bit 4:2:2 and soon ProRes RAW HDMI out. Eye AF (in May.) Atomos development collaboration. Weather sealing. Good battery life. Nikon build quality. An excellent touch interface. Nikon menu structure and customization. XQD/CFExpress speed, capacity and reliability (May.) Robust low light recording. Good tracking AF in 1.0 firmware...

Canon gives us crazy expensive glass (again), crippled features and weird fn slidy bar thingy “innovation.”

Panasonic gives us questionable DFD CDAF. The S1 is cool, until your bitrate is too low and your AF hunts and breathes constantly. Hmmm.

Sony gives us little robotic squares that do the job in 8-bit 4:2:0 like Mr. Spock, with all the associated charm.

I’m really more of a Captain Kirk guy. Gets shit done with flair and style. Reliable. Fun at parties.

Nikon has no cinema line to “protect” by making their RF/EF bodies suck. Nikon is free to innovate. More so than Sony, Panasonic—maybe all save Fuji. Canon. Meh. Idiots. Nice color science. Still, idiots to me.

Maybe once Sigma makes native Z glass and a smart adapter. Maybe one for EF glass too. People will look at the future and see Canon continuing to fall behind as B/C cams to Cxxx bodies. Maybe Sony heads in the same direction to protect Cinema cams.

My money is on Nikon Z. Literally.