Clearing up the utter bull**** in this Tony Northup Panasonic S1 video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey relax... clickbait everywhere

KOL, attention seekers whatsoever - when your video title said you are doing a camera review, what's the point just seeing you talk, talk & talk for 10-20 mins?

Or you don't even have access to the camera yet? I mean come on all that 10-20 mins bullsh*t you can summarise in point form + samples. That's it, simple, easy, save everyone's time.

Likewise when I am searching for a guitar amp review, I will first scroll through all content, if there is less than 60% playing I will pass, if not a thumbs down. Same for camera reviews.

Tony Northrup on January 29: We HATE making negative camera review

Tony Northrup on February 2: The TRUTH about the Panasonic S1

So within half a week he decided to do a negative camera review about a camera he hasn't even touched yet. Negative reviews bring in views and that's what he is making money off. Thanks for calling him out Andrew. 

• Administrators

It's the sheer ego of it that I can't stand and the fact so many trust these non-shooters, just because they thrust their mug in front of cameras and camera PR events at every opportunity. When have you ever seen Tony or Chelsea acting as a real enthusiast on a camera forum, either here or at DVXUser or DPReview? When have you ever seen them shoot something other than their own big heads?

The only time these egotists mix with real enthusiasts on forums is then they are defending themselves.

Does anyone remember when I featured one of Chris & Jordan's videos on EOSHD and Jordan came on the forum to criticise me for stealing his video and putting it on my blog??!

These self-styled celebrities don't understand the first thing about a community.

Or filmmaking.

3 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Not a fan of Tony Northrop. But...

Huge body.

Insanely expensive lenses. 

Cropped 4K60p.

Dubious AF performance. 

Image still has the veneer of video (imho). 

Not a dud but far from the perfect camera. 

I don't really think a small body is feasible with full frame IBIS and being able to process full frame 4k 10bit or 4k 60p while managing heat properly. 

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't really think a small body is feasible with full frame IBIS and being able to process full frame 4k 10bit or 4k 60p while managing heat properly. 

Fair enough. But look at how small the Z6 is. Granted, it doesn't do 4k60p, but it handles FF 4k, 10bit out and Ibis is quite good in a very small body. 

2 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Fair enough. But look at how small the Z6 is. Granted, it doesn't do 4k60p, but it handles FF 4k, 10bit out and Ibis is quite good in a very small body. 

Yeah definitely though 10 bit out takes a lot of processing away from the camera. Sony is doing full frame 4k in a smaller body with IBIS, but it has overheating issues. 

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Huge body.

Huge by what standards? Tiny by video standards. Smaller than even an FS5.

For something that sits between the Panasonic GH5 and 1D X Mark II in size and weight terms it's not "HUGE"!

Insanely expensive lenses.

Sigma will release their ART lenses for L-mount and there will also be an EF adapter.

Problem solved.

L-mount makes for a very adaptable system as I am finding with my Leica SL which I enjoy immensely and I don't own a single full frame Leica SL lens (just the small 23mm F2 APS-C).

The Panasonic lenses are expensive because they are pro lenses. Canon, Sony, same pricing.

Yes it would be nice to have some more affordable primes and better AF - for sure.

Cropped 4K60p.

On the S1R the 4K/60p is full frame.

On the S1 it's a 1:1 readout Super 35mm. Nobody complains the 4K/60p on the X-T3 is "only" Super 35mm! (Actually a bit more cropped, around 1.7x).

Dubious AF performance.

I admit this is the main area for improvement, but there's a lot of cinema shot in manual focus, to say the least... Maybe we are just being lazy, demanding AF all the time for video.

Image still has the veneer of video (imho).

I found it pretty organic looking, with superb colour. I still have the original 4K files on my card. Maybe I should show them in a follow-up post. Also the low-light performance was outstanding.

Not a dud but far from the perfect camera. 

You show me the perfect camera!!

I think that it is wrong direction of thinking to compare Tony N's one person's youtube exhibition and eoshd concept of existence.

Two totally different approaches that at any means can't be comparable in term of quality - that means reality - of influence. Here we have hundreds of personalities becoming from the whole spectre of competency, background and usage, endless devoted testing and retesting, thousands contributions from different angles and points of view - and in the other side is just one man and one woman with all of their simply human prejudices, assumptions and often contradictory daily opinions, obviously urged to pump new reviews every week as important material resource. Here we have very live pattern of society, and there just classical self promoting show. Tony is better half of its presentation just showman who - as all showmen - actually lives on giving people opportunity to kill boring time.

So, any dispute with Tony N. about camera is wrong as premise. That's because his ultimative goal is not at all objective review, but publicity. Nothing especially wrong with it in world founded on fakery - he just tries to swim in it as notorious and less or more skillful conformist.

Saying that - it maybe good idea to see again Bertolucci's The Conformist :)

4 minutes ago, anonim said:

I think that it is wrong direction of thinking to compare Tony N's one person's youtube exhibition and eoshd concept of existence.

Two totally different approaches that at any means can't be comparable in term of quality - that means reality - of influence. Here we have hundreds of personalities becoming from the whole spectre of competency, background and usage, endless devoted testing and retesting, thousands contributions from different angles and point of view - and in the other side is just one man and one woman with all of their simply human prejudices, assumptions and often contradictory daily opinions, obviously urged to pump new reviews every week as important material resource. Here we have very live pattern of society, and there just classical self promoting show. Tony is better half of its presentation just showman who - as all showmen - actually lives on giving people opportunity to kill boring time.

So, any dispute with Tony N. about camera is wrong as premise. That's because his ultimative goal is not at all objective review, but publicity. Nothing especially wrong with it in world founded on fakery - he just tries to swim in it as notorious and less or more skillful conformist.

Saying that - it maybe good idea to see again Bertolucci's The Conformist :)

It is refreshing however, to see a one of these YT celebrities recommend restraint. Too many have become product peddlers. 

1 hour ago, forofilms said:

Video IBIS is no where as good as S1, you need space to move that FF sensor.