When Will Camera Companies Make HDR Video Like This?

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/21/2019 at 7:34 AM, Snowbro said:

What do you guys think will yield the best result? Iphone XS HDR frame combining or Galaxy S10 HDR10? 

I am a long Samsung user, and still like them, however, I do NOT like that Samsung continues to restrict 3rd parties from the complete camera API.

In my opinion this is great mistake on Samsung's part.

2 hours ago, androidlad said:

XS Max has the best colour accuracy of all phones to date, period. The white point is dead on at 6500K. Colour/greyscale DeltaE are all below 3.

The reason you think there's a slight yellow tint is because you're so used to seeing higher white point at around 7500K. Is your Samsung Galaxy display setting on "Adaptive" or any of the "AMOLED" mode? Only "Basic" gives you standard sRGB colours and most importantly D65 white point.

I'm sure the S10+ demo unit also had display settings with maxed out saturation.

Nope, I use the CINEMA or basic profile on my S8+. I compared my xs max to the S8+/iphone X/XR and it looked like a yellow tooth. I also held it next to a pro grade, calibrated monitor and its white balance looked like 4500k, very yellow. The screen also looked very dim/dull, even with Auto Brightness off. When I compared it to my dads iphone x, which is a samsung display and not potentially an lg, the x was perfect. 

There used to actually be a thing with old retina MBP 15" laptops, that there was indeed glue that needed to dry. Before it dried in a few weeks, it had a yellowish tint. This phone was manufactured over 3 months ago, so that's not a factor either. This xs max also had lower contrast than my wifes xr which was weird as hell. Pure black was black, but everything else looked like it was in the wrong color profile i.e. if you export in Adobe RGB and look at it on an SRGB screen. 

Funny thing was; if you tilted the phone even 20 degrees from straight on, it showed the correct white balance. 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

How to fix the Yellow look.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8550406

That doesn't work. I tried it in multiple ways and it actually reduces your brightness. Kills your color accuracy as well. 

3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

New Samsung phones reportedly have very accurate screens now. https://www.yahoo.com/news/shocker-samsung-galaxy-s10-best-163628579.html

The missing link in the article if you want to read an article that would takes 2 hours to do. ?

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S10_ShootOut_1S.htm

Yeah Samsung has Always had nice displays on their phones. Main reason I had so many of their Note Smartphones. But the DR edge now that the XS, XS Max has, and it seems Filmic Pro is really into Apple more than Samsung is the main reason I made the change. All these new high end phones are pretty amazing. The Sony Sony Xperia xz3 may be the real sleeper though for CS.

Just got my S10+ 512GB, noticed a few things. The pro video mode is gone in the default app (use filmic pro anyway). If you use the HDR10+ mode, you cannot use the telephoto lens or the ultra wide angle, only the "normal" 28mm or whatever it is. Then the ultrawide angle in video seems a tad soft, maybe there is NR or something by default. Overall, it seems much better than my S8+ I had. The screen is amazing. 

8 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Just got my S10+ 512GB, noticed a few things. The pro video mode is gone in the default app (use filmic pro anyway). If you use the HDR10+ mode, you cannot use the telephoto lens or the ultra wide angle, only the "normal" 28mm or whatever it is. Then the ultrawide angle in video seems a tad soft, maybe there is NR or something by default. Overall, it seems much better than my S8+ I had. The screen is amazing. 

Could you check dynamic range in the HDR10 video recording, how easy it is to grade etc etc. Also how good or bad is Filmic Pro compared to the HDR10. Looking forward to seeing it. Am thinking of picking up an S10 too. 

File Size: 105.88 MB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 29.35
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00;00;37;25
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Video Codec Type: HEVC 10 bit  4:2:0 
Variable Frame Rate Detected

I was wondering why my HDD didn't like the cell footage in a test, it's 10 bit.

Dynamic range seems a little better than standard, it (hdr10+) over exposes by almost 3 stops vs standard. They pushed an update that lets you record hdr10+ with all three cameras/sensors now. My ultrawide lens is soft as hell, I compared it to my wife's s10 and hers looks great. 

5 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Dynamic range seems a little better than standard, it (hdr10+) over exposes by almost 3 stops vs standard. They pushed an update that lets you record hdr10+ with all three cameras/sensors now. My ultrawide lens is soft as hell, I compared it to my wife's s10 and hers looks great. 

10 bit, that is really interesting. I wonder what other Smartphone is 10 bit if any?

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

10 bit, that is really interesting. I wonder what other Smartphone is 10 bit if any?

The Sony Xperia XZ3 and the Xperia 1 also do 10-bit. Though their profile seems less impressive, not sure why though. 

9 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Thanks for sharing this. The HDR10 on the S10 does look seriously impressive. I am surprised not more people are shooting on it. I wish it has more bitrate options.