NX1 Eterna Profile

CyclingBen

Hi Gals and Guys. I've been trying to match the NX1 to the Fuji Eterna profile in camera for a couple weeks and think I finally have it dialed in.  Here are my settings:

• OLED color - ON
  • Picture Wizard - Custom
    • Color Green .95
    • Saturation -3
    • Sharpness -10
    • Contrast 0
    • Hue -6

Using FCPX and color match I'm able to get it to match perfectly in a click or two.

If anyone has other ideas or better settings I'd be happy to try them and post results.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Why the OLED color ---> ON?

Do you know its significance?

This is something that I never use. 

I thought OLED color only changed the way the screen displayed color, not affecting recorded video. Correct me if I am wrong.

.95 green, -3 sat, -10 sharpness are all pretty common practices. Hue -6 is new to me. Since you are using picture wizard, I assume you are in normal mode and not GammaDR. 

Are you using a color checker? How are you comparing the nx1 to the fuji?

Yes normal gamma. I also thought the OLED setting only applies to the monitor but it seems to shift saturation in the actual recording to my eye and also to the monitors in FCPX.

For the Hue, I had never adjusted it prior to trying to match the two cameras, but found the eterna profile to shift much cooler than the NX1. I’m sure the same could be accomplished with altering the white balance as well. I think the Fuji cameras have comparable white balance to the NX1 but it trends a little cooler.

overall I love the match I found. I haven’t tried matching in premiere or davinci yet. I’d use it on a job for work if I had to.

23 minutes ago, CyclingBen said:

Yes normal gamma. I also thought the OLED setting only applies to the monitor but it seems to shift saturation in the actual recording to my eye and also to the monitors in FCPX.

For the Hue, I had never adjusted it prior to trying to match the two cameras, but found the eterna profile to shift much cooler than the NX1. I’m sure the same could be accomplished with altering the white balance as well. I think the Fuji cameras have comparable white balance to the NX1 but it trends a little cooler.

overall I love the match I found. I haven’t tried matching in premiere or davinci yet. I’d use it on a job for work if I had to.

I will take a test tomorrow with oled on/off with a color checker and see if I can determine a difference. Will post back in 24hrs.

I can confirm that turning OLED Color on/off creates a visible difference when shooting a colorchecker. Attached a photo of each. Looks like a bit higher saturation overall, but it is also not linearly increased for each color. Rather, blues seem to be a bit higher in saturation with OLED color on, and the magenta trace seems to pull true to magenta, while the magenta trace pulls slightly to the blue side of magenta with OLED color off. Also, my wallpaper, which I consider to be in the white family but containing some color looks much more yellow/warmer with OLED color on. However, the white squares on the color checker are almost identical between on and off, so white balance isn't really affected directly.

oled off.bmp

oled on.bmp

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 1:42 AM, CyclingBen said:

Hi Gals and Guys. I've been trying to match the NX1 to the Fuji Eterna profile in camera for a couple weeks and think I finally have it dialed in.  Here are my settings:

• OLED color - ON
  • Picture Wizard - Custom
    • Color Green .95
    • Saturation -3
    • Sharpness -10
    • Contrast 0
    • Hue -6

Using FCPX and color match I'm able to get it to match perfectly in a click or two.

If anyone has other ideas or better settings I'd be happy to try them and post results.

Great work on this. Also a interesting discovery about OLED Color

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

It's exactly what the NX1 needs, tones down the greens and over-sharpening.

The great thing is, with the hack and Gamma DR you can stick it at ISO 800 and rarely need to go higher, you just push the exposure in post.

Really cleans up the image and stops the overzealous in-camera noise reduction from muddying it up. Never shoot at ISO 6400 on the NX1, always at 800 and boost it in post!

• 2 months later...

Had an emotional moment this morning... finally broke the seal on my like new NX1 to install the hack because my workhorse camera after hiking for a week in Austria started acting up (after stopping recording it would freeze and when shooting on the medium burst mode it would continuously write to the card). 

Glad I made this thread because I never wrote down my settings. 

Hopefully it’s just a memory card issue, but I kinda doubt it. At any rate, 4+ years of rock solid performance in all conditions is nothing to sneeze at.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 4:57 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It's exactly what the NX1 needs, tones down the greens and over-sharpening.

The great thing is, with the hack and Gamma DR you can stick it at ISO 800 and rarely need to go higher, you just push the exposure in post.

Really cleans up the image and stops the overzealous in-camera noise reduction from muddying it up. Never shoot at ISO 6400 on the NX1, always at 800 and boost it in post!

I know u am super late to this camera but I just got one, and I've been learning a lot from all of you all who paved the way. I have found maybe one reason why the sensor is 1) very sharp a 2) very saturated on greens. It seems that the color filter is not a standard RGB Bayer filter/pattern but a RGBG color pattern that allows the camera to record more detail (if you look at MTF charts of lenses, the ones who can capture green better are usually the sharpest through out the range). 

I have also found in the video above that the settings suggested in my last post are a great way to create a LOG profile in the Custom picture wizard area. 

Anyway, I was looking at Vimeo with a link for a video setup guide for Log on the NX1 but the link no longer works and I can't seem to find that page/guide. Anyone have it available?

• 9 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 4:58 AM, iam_andy said:

I know u am super late to this camera but I just got one, and I've been learning a lot from all of you all who paved the way. I have found maybe one reason why the sensor is 1) very sharp a 2) very saturated on greens. It seems that the color filter is not a standard RGB Bayer filter/pattern but a RGBG color pattern that allows the camera to record more detail (if you look at MTF charts of lenses, the ones who can capture green better are usually the sharpest through out the range). 

I have also found in the video above that the settings suggested in my last post are a great way to create a LOG profile in the Custom picture wizard area. 

Anyway, I was looking at Vimeo with a link for a video setup guide for Log on the NX1 but the link no longer works and I can't seem to find that page/guide. Anyone have it available?

It is very interesting pick, thanks. How can get more?