Oscars cinematography award to be presented during toilet break, with adverts shown in its place

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

roger_deakins_oscar_hero.jpg

Now, the Academy has been accused of a lot of things. Prejudices against black people. Prejudices against women.

Their latest decision shows they're also seemingly prejudiced against cinematographers, film editors, short-film directors and make-up artists - all awards they have dumped to get the live TV ceremony under 3 hours. Or rather, to shove a few extra ad-breaks into the TV coverage.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Although this year we have a fellow Greek in the Oscars, for me they are dead since the LALA land disaster.

If you witnessed this mega cringe where they had the whole cast on stage thinking they had won and then they took them all down...i dont want to watch the oscars again.

The second problem is the PO overdrive, where they put films like "WE WUZ KANGS" aka Black panther contesting for best pictures, and all the PO bs where people get nominated because "me too" or because they are minority.

1 hour ago, Christina Ava said:

Although this year we have a fellow Greek in the Oscars, for me they are dead since the LALA land disaster.

If you witnessed this mega cringe where they had the whole cast on stage thinking they had won and then they took them all down...i dont want to watch the oscars again.

The second problem is the PO overdrive, where they put films like "WE WUZ KANGS" aka Black panther contesting for best pictures, and all the PO bs where people get nominated because "me too" or because they are minority.

Well that was a human error. I didnt see this as a negative point, rather that it is fair by the voters and takes balls to send them back to their seats ^^ 

But they are taking this politically correct bullshit far too far like example this black panther stuff and replacing male leads with females(like ghostbusters, oceans 11,...). The best film/actor/actress should be nominated/selected, regardless gender or race. They would not give the gold medal to the guy who finished last in a 100 meter run right?

While I agree with Black Panther in the Best Picture category - It should be noted that the category is not really the best film, but the best produced film, which is why the producers are named alongside it on the Academy's website.

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2019

As for the awards being handed out during the break. I guess it's silly, but honestly, I've never once seen the ceremony, so whatever. I'm sure whoever wins those categories won't really mind as they have the trophy either way.

Last year, those categories were televised, and I might be wrong, but even on here, a very small amount of us could name the winners without looking them up. So does it really make any difference?

18 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

While I agree with Black Panther in the Best Picture category - It should be noted that the category is not really the best film, but the best produced film, which is why the producers are named alongside it on the Academy's website.

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2019

As for the awards being handed out during the break. I guess it's silly, but honestly, I've never once seen the ceremony, so whatever. I'm sure whoever wins those categories won't really mind as they have the trophy either way.

Last year, those categories were televised, and I might be wrong, but even on here, a very small amount of us could name the winners without looking them up. So does it really make any difference?

What does best produced even mean?

They are trying to push it on social media, probably because they've been losing viewers and want to modernize it. Supposedly the categories that are being shown online during commercial break are picked at random, so that it's fair and nothing is being marginalized. I personally think award shows are a bit silly although I do enjoy the Oscars occasionally. I was kind of looking forward to Kevin Hart but oh well. 

Black Panther Deserves the nominations it got IMO. It was a huge movie in a bad year for movies.

I think the bigger issue for this oscars for me is the snubs like Eighth Grade and Sorry to Bother You not getting nominated and If Beale Street Could Talk not getting nominated for enough.

But at the same time, at least The Favourite got a best picture Nom.

7 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Black Panther Deserves the nominations it got IMO. It was a huge movie in a bad year for movies.

I think the bigger issue for this oscars for me is the snubs like Eighth Grade and Sorry to Bother You not getting nominated and If Beale Street Could Talk not getting nominated for enough.

I liked Black Panther a lot, though I didn't find it much better than a lot of other Marvel movies. It was historically significant though.

17 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I liked Black Panther a lot, though I didn't find it much better than a lot of other Marvel movies. It was historically significant though.

Whys that? ("Meteor man", "blade" were also black superheroes...)

25 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Best film should not have anything to do by the margin of profits. Black panther was barely watchable, if you think black panther is one of the best 5 films of 2018, you either only have watched 5 movies or you have quostionable film taste.

16 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I am no social justice warrior. I do cringe when I hear stuff things like Felicity Jones starring role in Rogue One is significant even though Carrie Fisher was doing the same thing in 1978. I do also love the Blade movies and recognize a black superhero was happening back in 1998.

However I think its historically or at least culturally significant as its one of the top grossing movies of all time right now while also having an almost entirely black cast. I think its encouraging during these socially and politically challenging times, not that we haven't had these same cultural problems throughout all American history. The success of the movie wasn't a shock to me, America loves Black men at least in movies, though it wasn't always that way. But its cool to see or recognize we are progressing.

20 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Best film should not have anything to do by the margin of profits. Black panther was barely watchable, if you think black panther is one of the best 5 films of 2018, you either only have watched 5 movies or you have quostionable film taste.

I think Black Panther is fine, I don't love it, but I didn't hate it as much as you seem to.

I said it deserves the nomination, not the win.

I'd take Blade 1 or 2 over BP or pretty much any super hero movie any day, but if you can't see the historical difference between Meteor Man and Black Panther you're really not looking hard enough.

Why not throw in Blankman?

The Oscar's should probably be banned Altogether. Apart from Obscenity (both language and visuals), crude political slugfests, racism, sexism, questionable selections and obscene innuendos the Oscar's have been getting more and more crude and sick every year. 

#BanTheOscars 

I wish they'd just embrace their cinema snobbishness and be wonky about the craft/industry, but whatever.  It's a friggin' awards show.  Even when I go to "Oscar Parties" I tune it out and just chat with friends.  It's total shit show from top to bottom regardless.  As Andrew says, it's there to drive revenue.  Anyone that hasn't caught on to that reality yet and thinks it's some sort of artistic endeavor, god bless your sweet soul you beautiful butterfly.

Yes, it's virtue signaling.  And, yes, it's been that way forever.  Anyone even remotely know about most of the "best" Academy films from the 40's or 50's?  Nah, 'kuz they're mostly preachy Hollywood treatments of social themes.  Decent movies, some, but mostly just industry fodder.

So, same complaint, new generation.

In the meantime, people like my colleagues out here in the SoCal desert are doing our part by trying to make our film festival a destination for cinematographers.  Point is, there's always legitimate platforms for the nerdier side of filmmaking.  If you're really into it, just go look for it.

Expecting a Hollywood glamour show to be something it's not is odd.  It's like complaining about watching a baseball game...or, I guess, cricket.  You should really know what you're getting into and accept it or reject it for what it is.

no idea what you lot are getting worked up about 

oscar's (Astronotus ocellatus) is a species of fish from the cichlid family known under a variety of common names

there is some similarity between oscars and humans  as you can see  1) some always have their mouth open.  2) some are dazzling to look at others not so dazzling 3 ) take either out of their natural environment and they flop around and gasp for air.

?

oscar.jpg