Black Magic Pocket OG 2019

thebrothersthre3

On 2/14/2019 at 5:05 AM, mercer said:

But with that being said, I don’t think I’d use either camera for weddings where ease of use, storage and quick post is of major concern. 

Shoot ProResLT with the BMPCC and all that becomes quite more reasonable indeed

On 2/14/2019 at 5:26 AM, newfoundmass said:

We used mine as a b-cam for a friend's BMCC and he was able to mix them together perfectly. 

They're identical sensors, just the BMPCC is a bit smaller

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The BMCC go for more especially the MFT mounts. I wanted one though the internal battery was a turn off for me

Don't view it as an "internal battery", but as a BONUS which always you do to hotswaps of the external battery on the fly.

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I used to own an F3 but sold it off, it definitely had a nice image but I like smaller camera form factors better.  The FS700 is a really nice setup with an external recorder. It can do 4k 120 RAW and 240p HD RAW. I've heard the dynamic range is really good too. Kind of an odd and bulky setup though nothing beats it at its price point right now. With 4K raw recording its a good deal future proof too. 

If only the FS700 had a timecode input then I'd be even keener on it than I already am. 

I saw a FS700 on sale locally in my city for cheap last week, but I foolishly thought I'd "sleep on it" before going ahead and buying it. Woke up to find it had been sold already.... ah well

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think Black Magic should pull a Canon and release a Pocket v2 with the old sensor but with Braw, full size hdmi, and a brighter tilt screen at like a $650 price point. Well that would probably still be cooler than Canon. I'd probably get it.

Or even just sell the exact same OG BMPCC but at the old $500 sale price again! I bet it would sell like hotcakes once again, even in 2019. 

50 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Don't view it as an "internal battery", but as a BONUS which always you do to hotswaps of the external battery on the fly.

If only the FS700 had a timecode input then I'd be even keener on it than I already am. 

I saw a FS700 on sale locally in my city for cheap last week, but I foolishly thought I'd "sleep on it" before going ahead and buying it. Woke up to find it had been sold already.... ah well

Or even just sell the exact same OG BMPCC but at the old $500 sale price again! I bet it would sell like hotcakes once again, even in 2019. 

Probably, would love a tilt screen though. The body is really nice though, nicest grip and overall feel of any body I've used so far. 

I've heard the internal battery doesn't have a long life and you have to pay BM to replace them tho. 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

@thebrothersthre3 What voltage are you supplying? Are the screws tightly clamped onto the actual wire itself (It almost looks like they are screwed onto the insulation instead of the metal, but it's hard to see in the pic)? Do you have any tools to test conductivity?

Yeah I made sure the wires were clamped. I just looked, the DC to USB cord is only rated for 5volts, I am guessing that is the issue as the dummy battery needs 12volts I believe. 

This is the charger I have

37 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I made sure the wires were clamped. I just looked, the DC to USB cord is only rated for 5volts, I am guessing that is the issue as the dummy battery needs 12volts I believe. 

This is the charger I have

Voltage is probably the issue. I believe the official power supply is here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/820410-REG/Nikon_27055_EH_5B_AC_Adapter_for.html and it outputs 9v at 4.5A. You could get a 5V to 9V step up voltage converter. Your power bank outputs 5.8A, so with 100% efficiency in a step up converter you're looking at 9v at 3.2A, so it's less current than the Nikon power supply gives. It might be enough, I don't know how much power the BMPCC draws (a 5v 2.4A USB port was sufficient for my GH3 back in the day, so it'll probably work... but I don't know for sure). The other problem is that I doubt any single outlet on that power bank can actually supply 5.8A by itself, that's probably the total amount if you plug three different things in simultaneously.

It would be necessary to know how much the max current for any single USB port on that power bank outputs, and how much power the BMPCC actually draws.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

Voltage is probably the issue. I believe the official power supply is here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/820410-REG/Nikon_27055_EH_5B_AC_Adapter_for.html and it outputs 9v at 4.5A. You could get a 5V to 9V step up voltage converter. Your power bank outputs 5.8A, so with 100% efficiency in a step up converter you're looking at 9v at 3.2A, so it's less current than the Nikon power supply gives. It might be enough, I don't know how much power the BMPCC draws (a 5v 2.4A USB port was sufficient for my GH3 back in the day, so it'll probably work... but I don't know for sure). The other problem is that I doubt any single outlet on that power bank can actually supply 5.8A by itself, that's probably the total amount if you plug three different things in simultaneously.

It would be necessary to know how much the max current for any single USB port on that power bank outputs, and how much power the BMPCC actually draws.

Thanks for the help. I got a USB to DC 5v to 9v adapter, I believe it should work. Its what I had for my fuji, so it would make sense. Although the BM may use more power. It was only 3 bucks so not a big loss either way. 

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Thanks for the help. I got a USB to DC 5v to 9v adapter, I believe it should work. Its what I had for my fuji, so it would make sense. Although the BM may use more power. It was only 3 bucks so not a big loss either way. 

No problem, always glad to see some nice DIY stuff. I use various TalentCell batteries which have 9v and 12v outputs. Though they are unregulated, so I don't know how safe they would be to use with a dummy battery in a camera.

10 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

No problem, always glad to see some nice DIY stuff. I use various TalentCell batteries which have 9v and 12v outputs. Though they are unregulated, so I don't know how safe they would be to use with a dummy battery in a camera.

Yeah I've heard some horror stories about BM cameras dying from 3rd party battery systems.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:54 PM, KnightsFan said:

Yeah it still doesn't work even with the 5v to 9v cable. 

The BM apparently needs at least 7v and 2amps 

I read a USB port can only supply 5v so maybe that is the issue. 

15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah it still doesn't work even with the 5v to 9v cable. 

The BM apparently needs at least 7v and 2amps 

I read a USB port can only supply 5v so maybe that is the issue. 

USB is always 5V. A step up converter takes care of the voltage change, but 7V 2A is 14 watts, so you'd need a single USB port that supplies at least 2.8A, and probably a good bit more than that to be safe, unfortunately.

I still got my original Pocket, and still love it for what it is.  Not to go OT, but I may plan on getting the fujifilm x-t3 for the S35 vid feel, and use my OG as a B-cam or something for street shots or narrative work when the time comes.  I been hoping for something big w/ P4K, but I dunno.  I'm still keeping my trusted baby with me.

20 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

USB is always 5V. A step up converter takes care of the voltage change, but 7V 2A is 14 watts, so you'd need a single USB port that supplies at least 2.8A, and probably a good bit more than that to be safe, unfortunately.

Bummer, I'll have to get something with a DC output. Thanks for the help again man

6 hours ago, jbCinC_12 said:

I still got my original Pocket, and still love it for what it is.  Not to go OT, but I may plan on getting the fujifilm x-t3 for the S35 vid feel, and use my OG as a B-cam or something for street shots or narrative work when the time comes.  I been hoping for something big w/ P4K, but I dunno.  I'm still keeping my trusted baby with me.

Yeah man it'll compliment my XT3 nicely. I got the metabones SB now so its close to S35.

15 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Bummer, I'll have to get something with a DC output. Thanks for the help again man

Yeah man it'll compliment my XT3 nicely. I got the metabones SB now so its close to S35.

Exactly.  I got some MD and Canon lenses especially the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm.  I'll be spotting for an adapter for the X-T3 until then.

• 3 weeks later...

So with Black Magic doing away with Cinema DNG on the Pocket 4k, the original Pocket camera is still the smallest camera to do lossless RAW recording. Interesting development. I've heard of detail loss with BM RAW, though with 3:1 compression I am not sure how much of a difference there is. The newer sensor and 4k abilities as well as high speed abilities still brush the OG pocket. Still tho 

thats not counting the Magic lantern stuff(which is still relevant of course).

So with Black Magic doing away with Cinema DNG on the Pocket 4k, the original Pocket camera is still the smallest camera to do lossless RAW recording. Interesting development. I've heard of detail loss with BM RAW, though with 3:1 compression I am not sure how much of a difference there is. The newer sensor and 4k abilities as well as high speed abilities still brush the OG pocket. Still tho 

thats not counting the Magic lantern stuff(which is still relevant of course).

I think this conversation should be had when looking at the exported finished film. Depending on what the delivery mechanism is the differences between uncompressed raw and braw are likely to be completely obliterated unless there is a heavy grade or a very high quality master file.

51 minutes ago, kye said:

I think this conversation should be had when looking at the exported finished film. Depending on what the delivery mechanism is the differences between uncompressed raw and braw are likely to be completely obliterated unless there is a heavy grade or a very high quality master file.

Depends how picky one is as well. 

Depends how picky one is as well. 

Absolutely.  I think it also depends on style and taste.  Some people are more sensitive to some aspects rather than others, so two people of equal "pickiness" might also have different preferences too.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

I've heard of detail loss with BM RAW, though with 3:1 compression I am not sure how much of a difference there is. The newer sensor and 4k abilities as well as high speed abilities still brush the OG pocket. Still tho 

It's funny the same people who complain about detail loss say the 4k image is too sharp. I'm not one to pixel peep everything I shoot, but I'm not noticing a massive difference from DNG to BRAW on mine. If it's there it surely isn't enough to be of any concern. Not even with green screen, at least in my use.