Back from the dead? 8 reasons why I am warming to the tiny Canon EOS RP

Andrew Reid

25 minutes ago, mercer said:

Also, Canon Watch is reporting that the sensor is NOT the same sensor that is in the 6Dii.

That would be cool if true. Canon did say that it was a different sensor in the eos r from the 5d iv though on launch day. Then we later find out that it was actually the same sensor, just tweaked a little to work with the new digic 8 processor. I have a cynical attitude towards it being the same underlying sensor. 

What time is the presentation from Canon? US or UK time

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Specs show a very low resolution LCD; I am not that confident that it will be a bright screen. I guess we will see. I am just fcking annoyed at canon for not at least recycling the 1dx ii sensor into a mirrorless body. They considered the eos r to be their pro body and the rp the entry.

Lets compare the one-two punches between the big 3. Sony: A7iii & A7Riii. Nikon: Z6 & Z7. Canon RP & R. Both the RP & R should be considered a joke compared to their competitions offering at the targeted segmentations. All of those other cameras have 120p, FF 4k, IBIS, LOG and much better DR. To argue otherwise is just being an apologist. 

I don't think that will be the direct comparison for very long. I think the RP doesn't really have any comparison and the EOS R is really the A7III and Z6.

Pretty sure a $3k+ EOS R(x? 1?) flagship mirrorless full frame camera will come before long. The RF lenses are too good and too pricey to be just for the EOS R and RP. In the next 4-6 months, we'll see the flagship plus a cinema camera or two to fill the holes.

Totally forgot that Canon is rumored to announce 5+ lenses tomorrow as well - that's exciting. 

Canon EOS Really Pathetic big takeaways:

• Only 30/60p recording frame rates in 1080p
  • High rolling shutter cropped 4k
  • No DPAF in 4k
  • IPB low bitrate codecs 
  • Tiny battery dies fast in video
  • Terrible Photo/Video DR according to reviewers (already knew this. 6D ii sensor)
  • No CLOG
  • Focus in 1080p kept losing focus in talking head videos i've seen 

Oh yeah, another thing that seems to be a let down, could actually be a positive: 

The awesome new glass we were expecting to roll out soon, wont be releasing until sometime in the second half of 2019. I would guess fall, with a pro body. That would actually make some sense. 

Yeah this is just silly. I can’t believe it doesn’t have 24p in 1080?!?! Huh?

I think what this proves is that Canon does not see low budget video users as a target audience at this price point.

With that being said, I’m sure it will be a nice camera but they just saved me $600 because if I want Canon 4K or 1080p DPAF, I may as well just get an M50... 1.6x crop 4K crop on the RP or 2.5x crop on the M50’s... whatever. At least I can shoot 1080p at 24p on the M50.

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think what this proves is that Canon does not see low budget video users as a target audience at this price point.

With that being said, I’m sure it will be a nice camera but they just saved me $600 because if I want Canon 4K or 1080p DPAF, I may as well just get an M50... 1.6x crop 4K crop on the RP or 2.5x crop on the M50’s... whatever. At least I can shoot 1080p at 24p on the M50.

At 10:00 in the video I linked, he says and shows it only has 30/60p... Canon really wants us to leave. I can hear them now "GTFO video shooters! Buy our 1DX ii, cinema cameras or get lost!"

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yep me to. Can't see the draw over an M50. I had some hope, but I should have known.

Someone commented about the new small RF 70-200 2.8 and said what we all expect, that it will extend. Jared Polin commented and said "that lens will not become longer when zooming. They are always internal zooming." He has supposedly picked up the new rf 70-200 2.8, mentioned that he went to pick up the 70-300 and realized it wasn't the new 70-200. The new 70-200 was smaller. 

Haha Canon, the masters of product segmentation! Seriously though who is really surprised?

Its a $1300 FF camera. No way was Canon going to cannibalize its EOS R / 5D4 so quickly.

I still think its a decent deal. I have a workaround for the 4K CDAF thing: shoot FHD using crop mode, you then get a very nice/detailed 4K downsampled IQ with DPAF.

edit 1: EF-S lens support is 4K only so looks like crop mode may be disabled in FHD! 

No 24p/25p is ridiculous though but I guess just shoot 30p and export on a 24/25p timeline?

edit 2: Just watched Gordon Laings review: it has 25p FHD.. is 30p only for NTSC??

Any definitive word on the crop?