Back from the dead? 8 reasons why I am warming to the tiny Canon EOS RP

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting.

I was just going to say that if it had 4K with only APSC crop, Canon colours, and 10-bit C-Log then it might be the first camera since the GH5 to tempt me....  but then realised it probably wouldn't have IBIS.

For non-handheld shooters though, and depending on the final specs, it might be an offering to attract jaded Canon shooters back into the fold.

20 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I will be surprised if it has good DPAF in 4K. If it does have no crippled DPAF with a 1.5x crop at the rumored price point then they have something very interesting and a lot of mad EOS R owners. 

Well maybe some mad ones around here but the majority of eos-r users didn’t buy it for video, and you can be sure the R will have more photo features. 

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Or get a tripod?!

No C-LOG no problem.

I've been using my own EOSHD C-LOG for years and works perfectly on the non-C-LOG Canons.

A tripod would work well if most of the environments I film in would allow me to carry one around with me. Sadly, I don't have that luxury. In the meantime, I need to settle with a decent hybrid shooter that has IBIS. 

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

A gimbal is not a handheld look replacement. A strap around the neck worked wonders for the 550d days indeed.

Then use the same here, if the camera has not enough weight just add a cage, if the problem is that you prefer another brand than Canon just go for that brand....this camera is going to be gold in the right hands...

@mercer lolol

i was thinking tho, i have no idea what still photographers talk about, but do they like the R system? are they into it? like, on the forums?

seems like a tough sell?? if i just shot stills and had a bunch of EF glass... why would i be interested in this again? cuz its so small and lightweight to go with my 200-400mm lens?

Just now, Michi said:

I predict you'll be disappointed. No way 10-bit Clog is going to happen in this camera. 

Actually, no chance of being disappointed.  Since buying my GH5 I haven't been genuinely interested in any of the newer releases.  At least for my particular needs, nothing out there really comes close, and there isn't a lot with the GH5 where you think "gee, I really wish that it could..."

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

@mercer lolol

i was thinking tho, i have no idea what still photographers talk about, but do they like the R system? are they into it? like, on the forums?

seems like a tough sell?? if i just shot stills and had a bunch of EF glass... why would i be interested in this again? cuz its so small and lightweight to go with my 200-400mm lens?

Do we really need to remind the advantages of MILC vs DSLR? EVF/size/weight being the most obvious.. 

5.6K AF points covering 90% of the sensor being another reason..

The Vari-ND and Control-ring adapters are also a good way of breathing fresh air into your legacy EF lens collection.

Also don't forget 5 new innovative RF L lenses are also being announced tomorrow (well 6 with the 85mm F1.4 DS).

In only 4 months Canon will have built a full pro lens lineup that actually surpasses it's EF L counterparts. 

Can't say as much about Nikon with it's boring & slow F4 zoom lenses..

Personally, as an EOS R owner, I have no hard feeling towards RP. It'll be a mirrorless 6D2 that shoots 4K.

I'm actually hoping the crop factor & RS will reduce, we all wanna see Canon achieve that.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Do we really need to remind the advantages of MILC vs DSLR? EVF/size/weight being the most obvious.. 

5.6K AF points covering 90% of the sensor being another reason..

The Vari-ND and Control-ring adapters are also a good way of breathing fresh air into your legacy EF lens collection.

i mean for the typical stills photographer tho

nobody has speculated anything about the ghost in the machine yet.  its two words..... magic lantern. after having a canon and then learning about ml and installing it, running with it. if this new camera cant have ml on it then it would have to be one heck of a camera to tempt me to buy it . i feel pretty strongly about canon and ml. canon without ml is like food without sauce, rivers without water,  a sky with no stars, you get the idea. if no ml then the force is weak with this one.... besides i have yet to receive the bmp4k. not sure how the bmp4k would react if i rush out and grab another camera to play with straight away ?

58 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

People complaining about no ibis clearly have not used canons for video. Lens IS and digital IS work better than ibis from Sony. 

Or we don't want to be limited to minuscule and rather bland selection of Canon-compatible IS lenses.

There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of different aesthetics available from the different lens designs, materials, coatings, and manufacturers throughout the history of photography.  I personally think that the ability of mirrorless to adapt every SLR lens ever made is potentially the biggest advantage of taking out the mirror.  The fact that IBIS gives IS to every lens ever made is a real game changer for those who don't (or can't) always shoot on tripods or larger rigs.

@leslie They are actively working on it. EOS R firmware update gave some hope but A1ex from ML posted this yesterday:

rr.jpg

"The firmware update... unfortunately wasn't helpful. None of my previous tricks worked with it. I'm still wondering why some of my previous test FIRs resulted in green screen, but I'm now 100% sure we did not execute any code on the camera. The green screen was likely a bug in Canon's FIR loading routine, or something like that.

The good news -
kitor identified two UART ports: one at 3.3V, used by the MPU (outputs the log from above) and another at 1.8V, likely used by the main CPU (same voltage level on DIGIC 6). The latter needs some level shifting, but - at least on previous models - it has everything we need to enable the boot flag and explore around.

Worst case - ML on EOS R may require some hardware hacking in order to install it (like in the above picture). No big deal, right? I mean, you need a lot more knowledge to be able to use it "

Magic Lantern Forum - EOS R

He actually linked to a post here by @kye ?