How do I get ML crop recording going on my 5D3?

kaylee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, kaylee said:

when you say format the card in camera, that means im completely reinstalling magic lantern? or do i drop it in an existing ML folder on the memory card?

Yup, you have to reinstall it completely.
Like I said, format the card in camera and after it's done, copy the unzipped files onto the fresh and empty CF card you just took out of your 5D3.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, kaylee said:

thank you @heart0less!!

i dowloaded and unzipped. when you say format the card in camera, that means im completely reinstalling magic lantern? or do i drop it in an existing ML folder on the memory card?

Drop the existing folders. Then you have to load the module, once you have it loaded (maybe restart camera) it will appear in the movie menu (magic lantern menu)

-edit- I never format and reflash the camera, I just copy the new files and replace the stuff on the card, am I doing it wrong?

52 minutes ago, kaylee said:

guys, im running the 10/12/16 nightly build, i dont see the crop movie recording option, can i add it somehow?

pls talk to me like im 4 years old

Do you just want the regular crop or are you looking to test the experimental 3.5K modes?

Well regular crop just requires you to load the module that is already in the firmware on your camera. In the menu scroll all the way to the right where the module tab is and then click to load crop mode. When you restart your camera it will be loaded, then you just use the magnify button on the camera. 

I tried the experimental build but couldn’t figure it out. I had something set up wrong but not enough time to eff around with it, so I went back to the normal nightly build. 

ok! i used the 1.1.3 version from here

image.png

and it looks like things are working. @mercer should i be using the mlv_rec Raw video v2.0 (MLV) option? i havent done mlv before but i wanna start, im not seeing the raw_rec option? sorry im so dumb jeez ?

UPDATE: oooo omg im doing it!! mlv app is awesome why didnt i do this sooner ?

mercer, what are your fav mlv app settings/etc??

11 minutes ago, kaylee said:

sorry im so dumb jeez ?

This isn't you, this is ML.  It took me quite a while to figure it out, and I have a degree in computer science, so don't feel bad!

People talk about the Sony menus being difficult to use, but ML is on a whole other level... and in a parallel dimension!  It's almost like they don't want anyone to be able to use it.

15 hours ago, kaylee said:

ok! i used the 1.1.3 version from here

image.png

and it looks like things are working. @mercer should i be using the mlv_rec Raw video v2.0 (MLV) option? i havent done mlv before but i wanna start, im not seeing the raw_rec option? sorry im so dumb jeez ?

UPDATE: oooo omg im doing it!! mlv app is awesome why didnt i do this sooner ?

mercer, what are your fav mlv app settings/etc??

You should let me know how to do it. I’ve only shot MLV so I don’t know? Did you shoot your short film in regular Raw and not MLV? If so, is there a reason why?

With MLV App, I keep it pretty basic. I turn off the Raw corrections because I found they take forever to render with them on and otherwise I will fix any WB issues and then choose LogC and tick highlight correction or whatever it’s called. 

Let us know if you do any 3.5K shots and how they turn out. I’d rather have the FF 1080p than a crop and a dodgy LiveView but I am willing to drop down to 12 bit if I could get a little extra resolution like 2.5K with minimal crop... but I don’t think that’s possible. I’m hoping they figure out the 5D4 so I can get some better slow motion options and perhaps a bump in resolution. For now FF 1080p Raw is more than enough for my needs. 

Hi A1ex!!

Keep up the great work..  we appreciate it!  ???

(https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=22770.msg211977#msg211977)

I have had a recurring thought that ML would make a spectacular project for someone who wants to work in PR to get real-world experience and actually make some kind of difference by making ML much more accessible to people who don't want to trawl though threads about registers to understand how to turn on crop-mode or similar things like that.
The information is around, and even just collating it and providing some instructions would make a huge difference.

I think one of the main issues is that people want to record in some combination of RAW, 4K, and >30fps so the challenge isn't installing ML, it's installing the right build, installing the SD-Card hack, working out the menu system (that keeps changing faster than the blog posts can keep up) to enable the right modules, the button combinations for preview modes, and potentially other bits and pieces as well.