Short Nikon Z6/Canon FD lenses video

tomsemiterrific

Shot this mood piece to show a bit of Nikon's low-light capabilities in video. No use of noise reduction at all, so doing so should get you some super clean video with not a lot of trouble---IF your lenses are fast enough in certain circumstances.
Also, you can get an idea of how well 420/8bit video grades--I did some fairly extreme things to get the looks I wanted.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Shot this mood piece to show a bit of Nikon's low-light capabilities in video. No use of noise reduction at all, so doing so should get you some super clean video with not a lot of trouble---IF your lenses are fast enough in certain circumstances.
Also, you can get an idea of how well 420/8bit video grades--I did some fairly extreme things to get the looks I wanted.

Nice work!!

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

hey @tomsemiterrific, why did you laugh at my post and downvote kye's post?

do you want to talk?

I didn't laugh at your post. I was trying to say thanks, that what you said pleased me and I was grateful you took the time to see and comment on my video. Unfortunately, there are damned few emojis you have to choose from.

1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

I'm going to join in & see if it goes viral

You know, I didn't make any comment on Snowbro's comment that I recall. If I indicated anything is was thanks. I can't explain why you got these emojis. It's bizarre.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think he might be clicking by accident ?

I didn't do any of these things. Has someone hacked my account?
What little I commented was thanks for taking the time to see and comment. This is totally freaking weird. Why would I respond to Kye by writing: 

"Thanks. I'm impressed with the Nikon Z6. IMO, a few improvements in firmware and it will be hard to compete with it. Fun to shoot---nikon could make it a lot more so with just a few changes.

Hey Nikon: start thinking like a video shooter, not a snap shot taker."
and then insult him??? Is this some kind of sick joke?

I submit my work for constructive criticism, and sometimes to present something that I hope might help someone get an idea of how a certain product performs. I just published a review of the Z6 for that very purpose a few weeks ago.

Why? Because when I'm thinking about buying a particular product I search for reviews and VIDEO. 

I certainly don't publish videos to insult people who are kind enough to comment, whether negatively or positively. I always love any kind of comments that will help me correct errors and improve my work. And it makes me sad that you jump the gun and assume the worst before I get any kind of change to respond. Sad commentary on our society and culture nowadays.

29 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I didn't laugh at your post. I was trying to say thanks, that what you said pleased me and I was grateful you took the time to see and comment on my video. Unfortunately, there are damned few emojis you have to choose from.

You know, I didn't make any comment on Snowbro's comment that I recall. If I indicated anything is was thanks. I can't explain why you got these emojis. It's bizarre.

I didn't do any of these things. Has someone hacked my account?
What little I commented was thanks for taking the time to see and comment. This is totally freaking weird. Why would I respond to Kye by writing: "

Thanks. I'm impressed with the Nikon Z6. IMO, a few improvements in firmware and it will be hard to compete with it. Fun to shoot---nikon could make it a lot more so with just a few changes.

Hey Nikon: start thinking like a video shooter, not a snap shot taker."
and then insult him??? Is this some kind of sick joke?

I submit my work for constructive criticism. I certainly don't do it to insult people who comment, whether negatively or positively.

Their comments were about the reaction emojis, not your posts.  People do get touchy about those emojis..  I figured you'd done it by accident, I know I've done that before!

I gather you shot that video as a test shoot to see what the camera/lens combo was capable of?  I'm a big fan of camera tests being made into a nice end product (like you did with this) so that they serve artistic value as well as just technical usefulness.  I'm particularly fond of the idea of shooting a test video of your family or friends, as it makes a nice family momento as well as serving as a real-world test, although privacy comes into it a bit and so shooting in public can be a good alternative.

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

lol laaanywayyy... as i said, the color looks nice, like you mentioned i wouldnt peg that as an 8 bit 4:2:0 image

My sentiments, exactly. I was surprised at how well it took some pretty extensive grading---pretty robust, and not even a hint of banding.And I got it now, the down arrow is not saying you are making an additional comment "below"--it's a disapproval. That's just freaking confusing. I've never seen that before. How about "thumb's up" or "thumbs down?" or just a choice of emojis??

1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

As Rick would say "you're reading into this way too much morty"

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nice work.

Ahhh...the down vote you gave my reply to you last week regarding where to get L mount adapters for your lenses makes sense now.

I was beginning to think it was because I'd only found them for you but not actually bought you them as well ;)

Rekt

So does the original (ungraded) footage look like the scenes at the very beginning and very end of the video?

Were you using a particular white balance to "pre-grade" your video? Meaning, did you shoot with a very warm white balance so that your out-of-the-camera video would already be a lot closer to the final grade?

Or did you shoot in daylight / auto white balance???

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nice work.

Ahhh...the down vote you gave my reply to you last week regarding where to get L mount adapters for your lenses makes sense now.

I was beginning to think it was because I'd only found them for you but not actually bought you them as well ;)

Bought them for me...that would have been nice.

But let me ask, who gives a disapproval with a down arrow? Thumbs down, a frownie face, etc. But a friggin' down arrow!?! 

I just thought it meant to tell the writer that I was making a comment below.

Looking over the whole meager number of emoji--- they're a  pretty pathetic set of "expressions." 

Still on the fence regarding whether I will consider buying the S1. Part of it is because I'm pretty damned happy with the Z6, and other part is I'm not quite sure if I can get the adapters I need for my third party lenses, and the finally, I'm not altogether sure the IBIS of the S1 will be as good as the Z6. Personally, I'm really impressed with how well Nikon has done the IBIS---IMO it's better than the Sony A7III.

30 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Bought them for me...that would have been nice.

But let me ask, who gives a disapproval with a down arrow? Thumbs down, a frownie face, etc. But a friggin' down arrow!?! 

I just thought it meant to tell the writer that I was making a comment below.

Looking over the whole meager number of emoji--- they're a  pretty pathetic set of "expressions." 

Still on the fence regarding whether I will consider buying the S1. Part of it is because I'm pretty damned happy with the Z6, and other part is I'm not quite sure if I can get the adapters I need for my third party lenses, and the finally, I'm not altogether sure the IBIS of the S1 will be as good as the Z6. Personally, I'm really impressed with how well Nikon has done the IBIS---IMO it's better than the Sony A7III.

I was trying to defend you on the emoji thing man. 

I think the S1 may offer better IBIS but that is yet to be seen. You are right on adapters as the S1 mount is new right now. The Nikon is a heck of a deal at under $2000. For whatever reason the 8 bit codec seems to be pretty strong. I was tempted to buy one myself though I decided against it. If you combine it with an Atomos getting that prores RAW you have a really interesting tool. 

15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Responses incorporated in your comments.

I was trying to defend you on the emoji thing man. 

*I appreciate that. I really do my best to not give anyone any crap or provoke others.

I think the S1 may offer better IBIS but that is yet to be seen. You are right on adapters as the S1 mount is new right now. The Nikon is a heck of a deal at under $2000. For whatever reason the 8 bit codec seems to be pretty strong. I was tempted to buy one myself though I decided against it. If you combine it with an Atomos getting that prores RAW you have a really interesting tool. 

*I think you're on the mark with that. Since I don't so commercial work and  most things I do  are youtube videos the 10 bit is overkill, but it's really nice to know it's there if the occasion demands it. The robustness of the grading I did on this video and some others makes me pretty pleased with the result with only 8 bit--the video held together and no banding I could see.

By the way, I did a video review of the Z6, basically several pertinent suggestions on how to make the Z6 a more video-centric camera, and easier to get better focus and exposure. I just posted here on the forum. If you have time let me know how you like it.