Blackmagic cameras and EOSHD coverage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The word is the 4K cam will ship in quantity next year at the earliest. John Brawley tweeted it's a new sensor (not to mention resolution) and so it will take a long time to work out. Shades of RED in its early days I suppose. 

Given no 4K cam anytime soon I'm done with BMD for the foreseeable. I'm glad I never sat in preorder hell all last year and I'm certainly not gonna go there this year.

They did say the 4k was going to start shipping in July, right? Did I imagine that?

I never actually believed it would happen, but it's ridiculous they made that claim for which they must have known by that time there was zero chance of it actually happening. Now we're a month out and they've gone quiet about it.

Anyway, the pocket cam and the 4k are the two that still interest me. But the ML hack has really changed things. The cash I had saved to spend on a 4k BMPC will probably be diverted into upgrading to the mk3 now.

The more I think about it, it would be overkill to have a 4k camera sitting around anyway when I couldn't use it for most quick turnaround productions. I think instead it makes sense, if the camera lives up to expectations, to simply rent one for shoots when it's justified. The rest of the time, I'll "settle" for 14-bit RAW on a full-frame sensor :D

They said July for both cameras, but then again they only just started shipping the first MFT versions of the original camera...

It will be quite bad for their reputation if they don't deliver on time again.

The 4K camera, assuming the quality is up there with their first camera, is still an amazing option, I don't think I'd get a 5D3 instead if they were both out. You can always just shoot 1080p Prores on the 4K camera, which is very useful.

Well I already have the BMCC 2.5K EF mount model but I am considering selling it due to using the 5D Mark III more. Any offers welcome.

Is it the form factor that makes you pick up the Canon over the BMCC? Stuff like having to convert RAW to ProRes/DNG isn't a dampener with the 5D?

OK thanks everyone. Pocket Cinema Camera held onto.

I've cancelled my orders for the 2.5K Micro Four Thirds and 4K cameras with CVP and had my deposits refunded. Was in first 5 for the MFT camera and within first 30 for the 4K model but I've waited 6 months for the MFT version and still no sign of it. Enough is enough.

I would like to review the 4K camera but Blackmagic will have to make a move and support my coverage, as I'm no longer prepared to wait in an endless queue for one.

Huge miss that Blackmagic didn't get a BMCC MFT into your hands before now. I was especially interested in what you had to say specifically about that model.  

Thanks for hanging on to the Pocket version. Many of us will be interested to see what you ultimately think of it. It looks to be the ultimate low profile documentary camera, although the footage I've seen isn't as impressive as its big brother.

Is it the form factor that makes you pick up the Canon over the BMCC? Stuff like having to convert RAW to ProRes/DNG isn't a dampener with the 5D?

With ML RAW to Cinema DNG conversion more or less working now inside Resolve, we're pretty much at parity in workflow terms with the Blackmagic stuff. Of course there's no ML Prores mode, so that's still an advantage to them.

• Administrators

Huge miss that Blackmagic didn't get a BMCC MFT into your hands before now. I was especially interested in what you had to say specifically about that model.  

Thanks and for the record I strongly agree. However runs their marketing program is completely out of touch. It is as if they went through Twitter looking at follower numbers and giving out cameras based on that.

None of whom have the MFT camera are actually MFT shooters! None of them use MFT cameras like the GH2 or AF100 for their filmmaking work.

Few of them are technical enough to give good beta test program feedback either.

I'm disappointed.

I had tons of stuff to try on the MFT camera... OCT 19 anamorphic, SLR Magic 35mm T0.95 and gems from 2-years worth of collecting lenses to suit the sensor size, in terms of my GH2 MFT lenses, yet some marketing muppet thinks 30,000 spambot followers on twitter are preferable.

What's the source of this info? I didn't find any confirmation of this on the BM forum. 

It's leaked out on Twitter. As I mentioned Brawley himself made statements consistent with that conclusion ("look to their past history of product releases") without out and giving a release date (none of them actually know yet...the 4K camera doesn't work yet as we can see from the lack of sample images).

Anyway Andrew the reason you were denied an MFT camera is you are too honest for BMD's sneaky marketing machinations. You'd out and say the thing sucks, as you have done several times with countless other cameras, and that's the main reason I respect you.

ML 5D3 RAW is proceeding apace and they have 1088p25 and even higher resolutions working smoothly now even on cheap Komputerbays in the field.

Anyway Andrew the reason you were denied an MFT camera is you are too honest for BMD's sneaky marketing machinations. You'd out and say the thing sucks, as you have done several times with countless other cameras, and that's the main reason I respect you.

Andrew owns and reviewed the EF version, and gave them a good review, the MFT version would probably get an even better review, they had nothing to fear, I just guess they preferred to go with "rock star bloggers", whatever that means. It's not the only think they've been doing wrong I can tell you that.

I don't need to have such a company at my disposal to come up with an amazing killer camera on paper...
They need to deliver, and they need to do it quick.