Canon's future: EF or RF?

kaylee

51 minutes ago, Django said:

No not really. 1DX2 is still Canon's flagship pro camera body today. Why would they put those specs on a mid-range camera costing a third of its price?

Furthermore, 1DX2 is above-all an action/sports photography camera. To achieve its FPS etc it uses a 20MP sensor + 2 Digic processors.

Those specs happened to serve it's video side well, but there is again no reason EOS R should be having those specs.

Just like Z6/Z7 are D750/D850 mirrorless versions & don't compete with the 20MP Nikon D5 that came out same year as 1DX2.

All that being said EOS R does trump 1DX2 in a few video areas: it has C-log, Peaking, Focus guides, a more efficient codec & 10-bit out.

Yeah but most of that stuff isn't really tech advancement, just stuff they left out of the 1DX2 presumably to protect their cine line or maybe because its Canon. Again Canon just feels behind, 6 years ago Sony was doing mirrorless full frame, Canon just released a mirrorless full frame body, and it can't do full frame 4k. 

Panasonic generally updates all of their bodies a new GH, G, and GX and when you look from Camera to camera you generally see pretty large advancements all across the board. I don't that is seen as much with Canon. Same with Sony people like how they just throw top of the line AF in a $900 body.

Canon just jumped into mirrorless so they are playing catch up. Will be interesting to see what they put out in the next couple years. Not saying Canon is not a great system, maybe even superior to anything else depending on your work. I am sure the top dogs at Canon have a strategy just like all the other brands. I'm just saying I get why people are salty about them. 

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

You're still restricted to 8bit with Sony. 
Unlike with Panasonic or Nikon Z series when you'll get 10bit (or even raw from Nikon!). 

True although I think we all know Sony will soon release a body that will output 10bit (likely two bodies). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah but most of that stuff isn't really tech advancement, just stuff they left out of the 1DX2 presumably to protect their cine line or maybe because its Canon. Again Canon just feels behind, 6 years ago Sony was doing mirrorless full frame, Canon just released a mirrorless full frame body, and it can't do full frame 4k. 

Indeed, Canon only entered the mirrorless FF market 3.5 months ago.. Give them a year or two. Lens lineup is already looking strong. Next-gen should do FF 4K. 

Sony also protects their Cine line btw. Why do you think they cap all their Alpha codecs at 8-bit 100mbs XAVC-S?

Panasonic generally updates all of their bodies a new GH, G, and GX and when you look from Camera to camera you generally see pretty large advancements all across the board. I don't that is seen as much with Canon. Same with Sony people like how they just throw top of the line AF in a $900 body.

Sony put a 4-year-old (A6300) sensor in their new A6400. It still has the same abysmal RS, still no headphone jack, same weak ergos. 

All they did is update the AF & put that weird looking flip-up screen.

IF anything they pulled a major Canon on this one..

True although I think we all know Sony will soon release a body that will output 10bit (likely two bodies). 

Soon? At Photokina, Sony admitted going back to the drawing boards for A7S3 and that it will take much longer than expected to release.

This seems confirmed with the big firmware update for A73/A9. They are going to milk those cameras for another 12-18 months imo.

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Hopefully. But I'd only give it 50/50 that we'd see this from Sony in 2019
And likely it will only be in some of their more expensive bodies. 

While we've got a good 50/50 Panasonic could decide 2019 is the year to bring 10bit to even their cheaper bodies. (after all Fujifilm is nearly there with their quite affordable X-T3)