Panasonic GH6

kye

On 11/21/2022 at 8:51 PM, PannySVHS said:

@Attila Bakos has recognized the Fuji XH2s having a lack in colour resolution, blurring the red channel.

It's not the red channel that's blurred but the chroma components in the YCbCr format, that is Cb, and Cr. Both Cb and Cr are blurred the same way, but I used Cr for demonstration as it shows the issue a bit better. Btw Cr is red minus luma, so you are not that far from the truth 🙂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/22/2022 at 9:35 AM, John Matthews said:

Yes, that 1579 deal was definitely earmarked with a quota. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I've seen this situation before though. In 2020, I jumped on a deal for a E-P7 + kit14-42 EZ + 75mm f/1.8 for 899 euros, a great camera and deal. After, you had so many people buying that to only keep the 75mm at sell the E-P7... I didn't do that. I used that camera for about 6 months until it was replaced with a E-M5 iii (for free) from OMDS due to a IBIS problem and lack of stock. All that to say you have to strike super fast on those deals before people catch on because those deals disappear.  Companies have too much stock and they need to make quarterly results... I assume it's something like that. Still, I think the deal at 1779 (minus 400 + 1 year warranty + 1tb SSD) is still a great deal for that camera.

Despite the fact, they didn't allow me to comply my order for the EUR 1579, the price is going higher the day after again... Seems they'd rather offer camera gear as they could sell flight tickets, this is completely odd at best. Now let's only wait for next rebate when their outdated AF system will each the shelves' dust once again... LOL

One of the requirements of a much complex industry as this motion picture field is stands on the premise of the guaranteed value like happens with my glass collection without much variables in decades in any way other than as a solid gradual increase on its monetary worth.

I've written to them but if they increase the price to provide the illusion of their rebate...

785196668_1579to1779.thumb.JPG.6215c71cc77def035ed9febb56cd699a.JPG

1195564241_1779to1979.thumb.jpg.58a893fcb8f011efec31acbd69d7ba14.jpg

...in two successive working days a couple of days before the event (it's yet Wednesday... two days for Black Friday!) becomes all this as uniquely and truly misleading to say it in the very least... These practices should be erradicated. Caesar's wife must be above suspicion.

I've just received mine. The word that comes to mind: "chunky" in every way. I find it rather clever that they put the fan under the eyecup- cool design! It had that familiar "Panasonic" smell to it too. Of course, I need to get faster than v30 cards too. Media space will be an issue in shooting. For the time being, I might try the 1080p modes. Update from 1.2 to 2.2 was fairly easy too.

@Emanuel, it sucks you weren't able to get one at that CRAZY price. I know that feeling. If you think 1779 euros (-400 euro rebate, 1 year extra warranty, and a 1tb SSD) is too much, how much do you feel it's honestly worth (even with flawed AF)? If you're in France, I'd suggest leboncoin.fr website for used stuff. I saw one the other day for 1250 euros (maybe less if you deal) and you won't have to deal with the rebate crap. Most of the GH6's are practically new anyway.

42 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I've just received mine. The word that comes to mind: "chunky" in every way. I find it rather clever that they put the fan under the eyecup- cool design! It had that familiar "Panasonic" smell to it too. Of course, I need to get faster than v30 cards too. Media space will be an issue in shooting. For the time being, I might try the 1080p modes. Update from 1.2 to 2.2 was fairly easy too.

@Emanuel, it sucks you weren't able to get one at that CRAZY price. I know that feeling. If you think 1779 euros (-400 euro rebate, 1 year extra warranty, and a 1tb SSD) is too much, how much do you feel it's honestly worth (even with flawed AF)? If you're in France, I'd suggest leboncoin.fr website for used stuff. I saw one the other day for 1250 euros (maybe less if you deal) and you won't have to deal with the rebate crap. Most of the GH6's are practically new anyway.

It's a hell of a capture device, that's for sure : ) Enjoy yours! I know that Panasonic gear scent... ; ) Unfortunately this time, they didn't even allow me to comply my order as reported, hence my frustration... These variation prices playing games with the customer is what bothers me (not the lack of reliable AF! : D) actually really annoy more than giving wish to be as loyal as I've been for 36 years already now! I guess there's someone not doing the job as due and we've become used to, this is solid Panasonic brand or should be. Where people see as a safe purchase as every single camera I still hold made by them. Thanks for the tip :- )

These guys are crazy... This is not a way of doing reliable business with cameras. Sounds to me like when a bad screenwriter cheats the audience.

EVERYTHING must be very clear to bring respect which means every rule of promotion, rebate, whatever, enough clear with transparent deadlines, etc..

This is a way to kill some reputation of a brand after decades of building up. Seems clear to me someone should be fired there. I'm sorry for my harsh words but this utterly pisses me off. I am in this industry for more than 25 years as professional player and I simply don't accept these practices. No way.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:04 PM, John Matthews said:

Exciting. I'm also certain that the deal I got is simply extraordinary given the current market (new and used). If it turns out I hate the camera, I'll just sell it and get something else, but I want to give it a shot.

At that price, very tempting!

I might have even been tempted myself…except I am in the middle of selling and moving to Northern France, so have no spare cash right now 🤪

9 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Panasonic themselves may have little to do with it (other than the cash back) as Amazon is full of re-sellers.

Maybe it’s them with the temporary amazeballs deals?

Unfortunately, as far as I could understand, this is happening going on with their Amazon Panasonic store but also with some other authorized reseller stores out there changing prices like day trading... : X this is the behaviour which has puzzled me TBH.

It seems like Panasonic does a couple of fantastic deals per year. This time, Panasonic France got that deal, but you had to see it at the right time and not everyone participated. In France, FNAC and Darty (for some reason) have the best deals on Panasonic cameras in general. I picked up the GH6 for the 1579 euros deal (-400 euro, 3-year warranty, and an extra 1tb SanDisk SSD). This deal clearly (although no communicated) had a quota. I got lucky as it's sitting here in front of me and I've put in for the promotional deal, but it could take awhile (I let the community know when it comes through). The moral of the story is that you have to move fast on ANY Black Friday day/week/month/year deal. No, I seriously doubt it's sign that the GH6 is a huge failure or that Panasonic is getting out of M43, or Panasonic is failing completely as a company... just a company that needs more buzz in a crowded market where the A7S3, OM-1, XH2/s are competing hard with the GH6 for various reasons. Panasonic could have been pressured by distributors in this case due to too many cameras on shelves, a more likely scenario.

On a side note, I think I might have to reevaluate my workflow. I can no longer keep original files forever as if I choose the best quality in prores 422HQ at a rediculous 5.7/5.8k, I think I'll have enough space for a week. Instead, I think I'll need a more streamlined approach, correcting footage on the fly to make make reasonably-sized 150Mbps files that would still be good for making final small edits. I'm almost considering to just shoot 1080p on the camera as it looks so good and no one I know will probably see a difference anyway. Any Suggestions?

But then what about the disclaimer to simply say it 'while stocks last ' ?!

No, they didn't. Moreover, they even placed the number of units available (IIRC 15 units and more to come"!)

And only today is Black Friday... with the price of EUR 400 (as much as their rebate) higher (in the same proportion) than in the beginning of the week.

This is not the correct way of doing business, I'm sorry but no way.

I am buying a couple of FX30 very likely. Ah and also buying new Sony glass BTW. The new Sony gear I am buying in 3 decades FYI. I've been a Panasonic customer for this period. Still waiting for their written answer to my written request. Amazon has responded unsatisfactory to my phone call. Vague to fit who knows what, not addressing the issue properly.

That's where such aggressive marketing leads.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:12 AM, Emanuel said:

When I tried later on, the price had been changed... This doesn't make any sense especially when Black Friday is coming in three days in the end of the week, not in the beginning of the week, the Monday before.

Online stores have essentially become like auctions. Computer sees what all customers and competing online stores are doing in real time and adjusts it's price according to fancy algorithms trying to maximize profits. Most shops have the decency to only adjust prices during the night but Amazon and decency...

In physical stores they are gradually switching over to digital price tags. It is only a matter of time until these start to adjust automatically as well during the day if local laws will allow for it. If only it was legal to set the price based on user profile data...

8 hours ago, John Matthews said:

On a side note, I think I might have to reevaluate my workflow. I can no longer keep original files forever as if I choose the best quality in prores 422HQ at a rediculous 5.7/5.8k, I think I'll have enough space for a week. Instead, I think I'll need a more streamlined approach, correcting footage on the fly to make make reasonably-sized 150Mbps files that would still be good for making final small edits. I'm almost considering to just shoot 1080p on the camera as it looks so good and no one I know will probably see a difference anyway. Any Suggestions?

nothing wrong with shooting 1080p prores, something i do pretty often on the p4k. speaking of black friday deals, check out those meike mft lenses on their site, or look for them on the second hand market where people are tend to be selling them for an insane price occasionally. 

5 minutes ago, PPNS said:

nothing wrong with shooting 1080p prores, something i do pretty often on the p4k. speaking of black friday deals, check out those meike mft lenses on their site, or look for them on the second hand market where people are tend to be selling them for an insane price occasionally. 

I will look for the Meike lenses to see. I’ve always been hesitant unless I really have a use-case. Right now, I have so many lenses it’s ridiculous… need to sell more. Thanks for the tip though.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

But then what about the disclaimer to simply say it 'while stocks last ' ?!

No, they didn't. Moreover, they even placed the number of units available (IIRC 15 units and more to come"!)

And only today is Black Friday... with the price of EUR 400 (as much as their rebate) higher (in the same proportion) than in the beginning of the week.

This is not the correct way of doing business, I'm sorry but no way.

I am buying a couple of FX30 very likely. Ah and also buying new Sony glass BTW. The new Sony gear I am buying in 3 decades FYI. I've been a Panasonic customer for this period. Still waiting for their written answer to my written request. Amazon has responded unsatisfactory to my phone call. Vague to fit who knows what, not addressing the issue properly.

That's where such aggressive marketing leads.

And such is life in the digital age of shopping. Are you serious? You actually tried to call Amaevil? I think you might be shopping in the wrong place for that kind of service. Go the local camera store in France and buy a GH6 as you’ll get the experience you’re looking for.

FX30 looks good too, especially if you prioritize AF and DR over IBIS and color.

43 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

And such is life in the digital age of shopping. Are you serious? You actually tried to call Amaevil? I think you might be shopping in the wrong place for that kind of service. Go the local camera store in France and buy a GH6 as you’ll get the experience you’re looking for.

FX30 looks good too, especially if you prioritize AF and DR over IBIS and color.

Yes, I've called them twice. A couple of days ago and today again. In the digital age, yes. This is not the first occasion I call Amazon and never had a single problem with Amazon customer service before. On the contrary, I've always been treated accordingly by them. Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.

People blame Amazon, but this is a Panasonic store inside their shopping system. No idea what comes next but they told me they would contact me in 24 hours. Well, for now, they accept they concur that's not client's fault as I heard now from their call center. The customer is deemed to have fulfilled the sale conditions when placing the order. Now let's wait and see. 

Nothing wrong on Sony's IBIS and colour, neither with their prices at least which look like as solid as their camera bodies. Panasonic sales department doesn't look like to follow the rule this time ; )

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Nothing wrong on Sony's IBIS and colour, neither with their prices at least which look like as solid as their camera bodies. Panasonic sales department doesn't look like to follow the rule this time ; )

Well, if Sony is what you're looking for, just buy that and move on. Why would you be so insistent on a GH6 if all is good on the Sony?