Panasonic GH6

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
44 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

Can anyone tell me what that celestial led is? I looked up the manual but didn't understand. I've always turned it on, both when shooting videos and stills. I thank you.

Bluetooth.

From the manual.

1130340739_ScreenShot2022-08-17at12_46_37.png.aa307bcbe169ba44735a2227a07070db.png

On 8/17/2022 at 5:37 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Can anyone tell me what that celestial led is? I looked up the manual but didn't understand. I've always turned it on, both when shooting videos and stills. I thank you.

On my GH5 that lights up when I've enabled Bluetooth or wireless.

Take this with a pinch of salt but the GH6 won Best Photo/Video Camera at the 40th anniversary EISA-who-I've-never-heard-of-awards

https://eisa.eu/awards/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh6/

I've used it on a few jobs now and I do like the camera. I still miss the 1080 2x crop but find the battery life OK. I have a power bank on the way and plan to charge batteries in my bag as they die.

I do love the red box when recording, punch in while recording and generally tidier onscreen graphics. It's a good video camera.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit surprising to me how the GH6 is doing nowadays when you compare it to what a hit the GH5 was. I'd love to know the expected vs actual sales figures from Panasonic.

There are basically no mentions on YT besides the launch reviews and it's widely offered in stores already 10% below MSRP with a 128 GB CFexpress card included.

I guess while the GH5 just one-upped every other MILC with the 10bit internal recording and no-crop 4k60p, the new GH6 just doesn't really bring much to the table that people actually need/want and the competition can't offer. I guess we're in "good enough" territory when it comes to every strength of the Lumix as a hybrid, be it Sony, Fuji or Canon.

Nothing but speculation but too little too late?

A decent bit of kit, but there are so many other options in 2022.

I can’t fault the image quality but Panasonic I have found to be a somewhat frustrating brand in other areas…

To be fair, that is partly due to my very specific needs but after nearly 2 years, I’m somewhat reluctantly moving on.

The next gen S line could be absolute bangers but again, I suspect it may very well be a case of too little too late…

I remember Panasonic talking about 8K for the Tokyo Olympics, something that never realized. They did a lot of mistakes, like never delivered the C100mkII killer, or something between that and the GH5 with an m43 sensor.

AF is getting more and more important for customers these days, and more and more young people are moving to better video cameras (better than their phones) that are not crazy about manual focus. For 40 somethings like me, manual focus was (still is) the standard in the industry, that changes right now.

Also, there are too many options these days, even Canon offers the cheaper R7 which is about right for a group of people searching for a "cheap" hybrid solution. Fuji wasn't even very serious about video in their first mirrorless days and now they are going full on on moving images. They too need to strengthen their video mark with something like an C70 competitor, its good to have a good video hybrid, but some people want to see serious moves to fully invest on their system for video.

GH6 is a video monster, but I am not sure if it will attract people from other systems, while the GH5 was almost alone at that price bracket 5 years ago. Even some GH5 users seem reluctant to invest on another GH camera, their GH5s (plural, not the GH5S) are just fine..

On 9/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, Phil A said:

people actually need/want

The gulf between what people need and what they think they want has never been wider.  Unfortunately, people vote with their wallets for the latter rather than the former, and then when they're not satisfied, they vote for it again, and then again....  It's no wonder that the market is the way it is.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, MrSMW said:

Nothing but speculation but too little too late?

A decent bit of kit, but there are so many other options in 2022.

I can’t fault the image quality but Panasonic I have found to be a somewhat frustrating brand in other areas…

To be fair, that is partly due to my very specific needs but after nearly 2 years, I’m somewhat reluctantly moving on.

The next gen S line could be absolute bangers but again, I suspect it may very well be a case of too little too late…

Are you moving on from the S series Panasonics? What to? What made you want to change?

1 minute ago, MrSMW said:

Yes. I’ll write a full post in a few weeks when my season is over, but yes, making a move…

Ok, I'm interested to know your motives and next move! I'm thinking of holding on until the rumoured S5H is released to see how the AF is (I know, I know 🤪). But I was at a wedding where someone was using a Canon R6 and seeing the continuous AF working was eye opening. They were taking photos but they showed me how it worked in video. He said he hadn't missed a photo in the whole wedding and it's more or less the same with video. He said now he really only has to worry about exposure and composition most of the time, which on a long job like a wedding, would make life a lot easier.

So I guess AF will be one of your reasons!

14 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

So I guess AF will be one of your reasons

One but far from the principal and not anywhere near enough reason alone.

But not to keep you in suspense, basically moving from what was a 4 camera plus back up camera plus 8 lens approach with L Mount (Panny & Sigma) to a 3 body + 4 lens Fuji system.

On 9/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, MrSMW said:

One but far from the principal and not anywhere near enough reason alone.

But not to keep you in suspense, basically moving from what was a 4 camera plus back up camera plus 8 lens approach with L Mount (Panny & Sigma) to a 3 body + 4 lens Fuji system.

After reading your comments on the Fuji XH2S thread I guess the 4K 50p crop annoys you as well!

Let me know when you sell your Lumix gear because I might be interested in some of it.

4 hours ago, Thpriest said:

After reading your comments on the Fuji XH2S thread I guess the 4K 50p crop annoys you as well!

Let me know when you sell your Lumix gear because I might be interested in some of it.

If all goes to plan…and that is:

A: My season finishes Oct 3rd (that part will happen on this date) and then I’m having a week off, plus,

B: The XH2 I have on preorder turns up and is as anticipated,

…then the whole lot will be up for sale/available at some very reasonable prices from around mid October.

But otherwise yes and no. If the stills are also cropped, ie, the sensor is APSC, not an issue, but shooting hybrid it’s a bit of a pain in the arse.

In isolation, less of an issue but it’s the number of ‘lesser issues’ that add up to a point where if something else makes more sense, then it is at least worth looking at if not moving over to.

After 3 years of frustration, I am looking for 3 years of consistency because from that, creativity will be best served.

I should add, that even now I have been making arguments to stick with L Mount at least until a point where I am forced into making a decision.

The problem is that with nothing but rumors and speculation regarding the future of L Mount, there is nothing to base any decision on other than ‘if’.

I have often thought manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot by being so Secret Squirrel about their plans…

18 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The problem is that with nothing but rumors and speculation regarding the future of L Mount, there is nothing to base any decision on other than ‘if’.

I have often thought manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot by being so Secret Squirrel about their plans…

Totally agree. I know the last 3 years have been difficult but if there was a clear road map from Panasonic it would make it a lot easier not to be tempted by other brands.

For me there are only a hand full of things they need to improve. AF in video must be at Sony/Canon/Olympus level, no 40K 50p crop (it's beginning to get on my tits), no more subpar EVFs (S5) and better integration of Sigma lenses (video AF, linear focus etc). I'd really like to know if they are going to address these issues.

For me, I would ideally like to see:

For definite:

A. Official confirmation a successor to the S5 and S1 is coming, even if it’s going to be one single line.

B. An announcement date plus a launch date.

Ideally:

C. Whether they are moving to PDAF.

D. Whether 4K 50/60/100/120 is going be cropped.

With a season that starts in April each year, I need to be ready to go at least a full month in advance, fully tested, familiar with, batteries, chargers, processing, quirks etc.

If A & B happen before the end of this year, there is still a chance for me with L Mount, but even then, C & D also really need to be on the cards because if not, there are other options.

And I am not holding my breath…but would still like to see it.

Firmware update 2.2 coming 9/27 that holds the record to SSD upgrade :D really looking forward to that. I do hope that they'll eventually make me choose between recording to an SSD or getting the Blackmagic monitor and utilizing BRAW like the GH5s...