Panasonic GH6

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Hmmm... looks like data rate for 422 1080p 25fps is quite low at 123mbps. That could be a really nice alternative to All-I

I find this an excellent resource on codecs: https://blog.frame.io/2017/02/13/compare-50-intermediate-codecs/

It lists 1080p 422 (not HQ) as 117Mbps (for 24p) and HQ as 176Mbps, so maybe they're not that far off?

It's also worth noting that I've done a bunch of bitrate tests on Prores (from ffmpeg) and the bitrates are approximate and depend on source material.

16 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

It looks garish as garish can be:) @Mmmbeats The GH6 marketing team has a sense of unpredicted and unconventional humour. Here you camera fetishists, eat your Arri Alexa and take this for a change. Embrace the beauty of the ugly, awaken by the hands of a true Prores lover but image neglector. Matt Frazer worked so hard for the standing of the GH4 and GH5. How did this one slip through?

Electric is definitely a vibe - that's for sure!

While I'm not a personal fan of that grading, I do think this goes in the realm of personal choice so I wouldn't criticise it.  One thing that is worth noting is that getting a clean and highly saturated image is quite hard and when you push the saturation on most cameras the image starts to reveal rather odd characteristics.

If you've never tried it, learning to grade with high saturation and high contrast is definitely worthwhile because it's grading on a higher difficulty level and is likely to surface issues that can be hidden with low saturation footage.  It's well known that B&W makes all cameras look good, so this is the opposite.

23 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I can only imagine the colorist was told 'show how much the colours can be pushed with RAW' and took the brief a bit too literally!

That probably, and there are some strong cultural differences between how colors are appreciated. I sometimes do get the impression that people from say north-west europe are generally "afraid" of color (in clothing or interior choices) where in other parts of the world they really appreciate bold colors. Just as there is no world-wide agreement on what "good" skin tones are. Must be pretty hard for a world-wide audiovisual equipment maker to please everyone.

All shots are :

• VLog
  • ISO 400
  • DR boost off
  • daylight white balance
  • Leica 12-60 at 60mm f8
  • 10bit 422 Long GOP H264 except for the open gate which is 420 Long GOP H265

1858363682_011080GH5.thumb.png.abe7b4b18d5a90fa345fc93c3d4df516.pngGH5 1080

374698356_061080GH6.thumb.png.422206f322c0762dd91fe3c56ea28453.pngGH6 1080

1869525085_021080GH52x.thumb.png.8e028aaf0a9c04a9e9c6304025dbb9c0.pngGH5 1080 2x

1295366456_071080GH6pixel-pixel.thumb.png.ccfb7f79ef5491eb73003e2a8867ae1b.pngGH6 1080 pixel-pixel

631537376_034KGH5.thumb.png.201654533e96085abf2fde68b746569f.pngGH5 4K

33291343_084KGH6.thumb.png.c82ee8216caf75b54a7c9b88557829ce.pngGH6 4K

2133804231_044KGH52x.thumb.png.fa37d44cc8fc7afcc7b3dbb07633eed8.pngGH5 4K 2x

695117891_094KGH6pixel-pixel.thumb.png.3bcb16c584a7d31ac10dd921809e465f.pngGH6 4K pixel-pixel

1820302040_05opengateGH5.thumb.png.8895e2b957ee12cd570bbe5367434e0b.pngGH5 open gate

1701277209_10opengateGH6.thumb.png.d9cf229f55a89168a026414feec2c5ec.pngGH6 open gate

The biggest difference I see is that the WB is different between the 2 cameras. Now the light may have changed but I ran this test a few times and my GH5 was consistently cooler on the daylight preset. I also noticed that the GH6 is has a slightly wider FOV. I'll check again with a prime to make sure.

In terms of detail, in normal HD and 4K I don't notice that one is sharper, softer, more aliased or artificial looking than the other.

12 hours ago, Michael S said:

That probably, and there are some strong cultural differences between how colors are appreciated. I sometimes do get the impression that people from say north-west europe are generally "afraid" of color (in clothing or interior choices) where in other parts of the world they really appreciate bold colors. Just as there is no world-wide agreement on what "good" skin tones are. Must be pretty hard for a world-wide audiovisual equipment maker to please everyone.

I have heard from the colourists that there are strong cultural differences relating to colour that play a heavy role in how colour grading is done in other cultures.

My recollection of the specifics was such that what the west would consider 'acceptable' wouldn't overlap with what other cultures would suggest was 'normal'.

4 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Aside from that, I would say that the GH5 2x mode in 1080p is more useful than the GH6 pixel-pixel because it is oversampled. And that the undersampled GH5 2x mode in 4k is less useful than the oversampled GH6 pixel-pixel.

Totally agree.  and just to confirm - the GH6 doesn't have a 2x zoom function?

I have literally bought lenses around that function, so that's a big deal for me.

4 hours ago, kye said:

the GH6 doesn't have a 2x zoom function?

Unfortunately not! Panasonic please add it in 1080p for the practical and savvy HD shooters! The 1080 pixel-pixel mode is a 3x zoom and it's too unforgiving of the central portion of the lens and also soft and noisy because it's not downsampled. 

The best workaround I've found is the following:

- Create a custom image quality list with HD and 4k. Now I can switch between them quickly from the Q menu.

- Create a custom frame marker that is 50% of the image area and assign it to a function button to turn it on or off.

So now you can get accurately framed 2x 1080.... but it's the center crop of a 4k file. Dropping the files on a 1080 timeline in Premier will automatically do the cropping for you.

It's not ideal, of course, as now you have 4k files to deal with, but it will give the same results as a dedicated 2x mode.

I had hoped to assign the 4k and frame markers to the custom mode dial but I can't see a way to do that without switching the current exposure settings, which is a nuisance. You can "load" a custom setting from deep in the menu and keep your current exposure but that takes too long for me in a run and gun scenario. 

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

Incidentally, am I right in saying that the 4K pixel-pixel mode at a 1.5x crop of a M43 sensor is very close to Super 16 size?

The S16 crop of the OG BMPCC / BMMCC is 2.88x compared to FF, so 1.5x on MFT is a little tighter (3.0) but pretty close.  IIRC the 4K 1:1 crop on GH5 was a 1.4x on MFT which was 2.8, so a little wider, but still very comparable, and at 4K also quite croppable compared to a native FHD S16 sensor.

In terms of trying to simulate a 2x digital crop your method above seems logical but is quite cumbersome, unfortunately.

The method I was thinking of was simply having a second mode that was 4K in 1:1 mode and then I'd just crop in post to whatever crop I needed, as having a 2x crop was never an exact requirement for me, but as you pointed out, both require 4K.

I do wonder if Panasonic might add it in a future upgrade perhaps.  I can imagine that it wouldn't have been a high priority for the initial release, which I think was motivated to get the headline features out as soon as possible, and the second firmware, which I think was motivated to get Prores for 4K and 1080p modes out.  

It would be great to see it added in the next firmware update, that's for sure!!

In fact, maybe a variable digital zoom might be possible?  Everyone knows that one of the best uses for high resolution cameras is cropping into the image, which was always deemed as cropping in post, but why not be cropping in-camera?  Sony has ClearImage Zoom, which is quite impressive, a competitor would be great.

18 minutes ago, kye said:

In terms of trying to simulate a 2x digital crop your method above seems logical but is quite cumbersome, unfortunately

It's actually not that cumbersome at all once it's set up and if you either don't need the frame marker or are happy to leave that on all the time.

Press Q, turn the wheel, set.

So three clicks. It takes at least that many to switch GH5 in and out of 2x using a function button, and more if you have to cycle past 4x.