Panasonic GH6

kye

On 6/2/2022 at 9:07 AM, hyalinejim said:

@Mmmbeats or anyone else who has a GH6. Would it be possible to do one or the other of these quick tests as there is no hard evidence anywhere that I can find about GH6 1080 quality.

1. Shoot the same scene on a tripod comparing GH6 4k with GH6 1080 and upload an extracted still from each

OR

2. Shoot the same scene on a tripod comparing GH6 1080 with GH5 1080 and upload an extracted still from each

I am very close to buying a GH6 but if the 1080 is not good then I don't want it. I'd love to see the evidence with my own eyes before I make the purchase. 

I'll be eternally grateful if someone could take 15 minutes out of their day to do this.

I'll do it later today (UK time).  It's really the first day I've had with any semblance of time sanity for quite a while.  Thankfully I've been getting some exciting but demanding jobs all in a row lately.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I'll do it later today (UK time).  It's really the first day I've had with any semblance of time sanity for quite a while.  Thankfully I've been getting some exciting but demanding jobs all in a row lately.

No worries if you're too busy or just want to relax. I'm happy enough based on the review I referenced earlier that the 1080 is good. I plan on picking one up on Tuesday and will do a comparison with the GH5 in 4K and HD then as I'm sure @kye and @mercer will be interested in the results

Tasty treat that it will be! @hyalinejim
I am also very interested if it gives us the possibilty to film in Super16 crop (1.4x additional crop) and in 2x Digizoom as it was possible on the Gh5. Hopefully Panny will get the streaking problem solved and gives us Prores in all the other videomodes soon!

Battery life would be another thing of great interest. Maybe i should have watched the review above as well. 🙂

Righto.  Slightly embarrassed as I shot these almost a month ago now, and I'm sure they would have been a bit more useful then, but anyway...

All shot with DR Boost turned off (I almost always have it turned on now).  I used a bit of VND to regulate exposure.  Focus is on the post box.

These are 'as shot', resolved with Nicest 709 LUT, which is a Panasonic LUT for V Log. I usually tame the saturation a bit!

[These have loaded in the reverse order I intended.  You might want to view them from the bottom up!]

1080 sequence.00_01_25_09.Still006.png

4K sequence.00_01_21_15.Still003.png

1080 sequence.00_00_45_20.Still005.png

1080 sequence.00_00_00_10.Still004.png

4K sequence.00_00_34_13.Still002.png

7 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Battery life would be another thing of great interest. Maybe i should have watched the review above as well. 🙂

Battery life is pretty poor.  That said, we've been a bit spoiled with the GH4 and GH5S in particular.  Battery life is in line with most other cameras of its type.  You need about 4 or 5 batteries to get through a day's shoot I'm finding.  I'm using mainly the old GH5 batteries, which offer good basic functionality.

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

I'm using mainly the old GH5 batteries

Do you find that they last about as long as the new GH6 battery? I probably will only need the basic functions so there's little point in wasting money on new batteries if my old ones will do the trick.

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

Righto

Thanks for these, will pixel peep later!

3 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

There is a possibility that I missed focus on the 1080 Pixel / Pixel shot

Yes I think it's focused more on the tree than the letter box. The detail on the tree looks pretty good though.

Presumably the 1080 pixel-pixel will be identical to the center 50% crop of the 4K pixel-pixel, which looks all right. It's worth considering that the loss in sharpness must be attributable to some degree to the optics and a usable result might be garnered from a razor sharp lens. I think if I really needed a shot of something very far away and didn't have a long enough lens then I would use 1080 pixel-pixel.

3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Do you find that they last about as long as the new GH6 battery? I probably will only need the basic functions so there's little point in wasting money on new batteries if my old ones will do the trick.

Yes, I'm finding the time of use similar (though I haven't timed it or anything).  The old batteries seem fine really. 

It looks garish as garish can be:) @Mmmbeats The GH6 marketing team has a sense of unpredicted and unconventional humour. Here you camera fetishists, eat your Arri Alexa and take this for a change. Embrace the beauty of the ugly, awaken by the hands of a true Prores lover but image neglector. Matt Frazer worked so hard for the standing of the GH4 and GH5. How did this one slip through?